Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FesterTreo
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I am thinking about purchasing a tablet but having a hard time deciding what I want. The ipad 2 seems good but I want a device that can play flash videos. I was once a webos user with the original pre but not anymore. Overall the Pre didn't deliver but Webos on the tablet seems pretty good but I don't like certain things:
    1. No video support for divx, mkv container unlike Android devices
    2. no document editor or pdf app from adobe like Android
    3. basically no apps.

Why can't Webos support more video codecs? I enjoy not having to convert anything for my Android phone and why is it taking long to get some decent apps or 1st party support? I am reluctant to end up holding a paper weight like the Palm Pre. What do you think I should do?
    Jamex,

1)the kalemsoft player plays all the containers you listed. Go read the kalemsoft thread under the Apps forum. And you can setup kalemsoft server to stream down movies.
    2) True but google docs works and QuickOffice editing is supposed to be out shortly (maybe even with 3.0.2). The PDF reader is fine unless you want to make notations
    3) Its got more apps than Android had with honeycomb. Unless you say Netflix, shazaam, urban spoon and a few other choice apps, its hard to find something that you require that isnt available.
    65fastback likes this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Didn't know Webos finally got a media player. That's great it would have come in handy when I was using the pre . About the doc editor I don't want to rely on internet connection to edit a doc and when i got the pre 2 years ago they said editing was coming soon. Well 2 years has pass and it never happened. I was doing some research and i think I'm better off sticking with my notebook
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Didn't know Webos finally got a media player. That's great it would have come in handy when I was using the pre . About the doc editor I don't want to rely on internet connection to edit a doc and when i got the pre 2 years ago they said editing was coming soon. Well 2 years has pass and it never happened. I was doing some research and i think I'm better off sticking with my notebook
    webOS has had a couple of great media players for quite a while now. As for Document editing.... not sure why you think you will be dependent upon having an Internet connection to do so. Yes, you can keep files in a cloud-based storage service like Box.net or Google Docs... but you can also keep all of your documents right on your device and edit to your hearts content (when that update is released, that is). BTW... QuickOffice has confirmed that they are indeed working on the editing version of the app for the TouchPad as a free-of-charge update for existing TouchPad users.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/29/2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    webOS has had a couple of great media players for quite a while now. As for Document editing.... not sure why you think you will be dependent upon having an Internet connection to do so. Yes, you can keep files in a cloud-based storage service like Box.net or Google Docs... but you can also keep all of your documents right on your device and edit to your hearts content (when that update is released, that is). BTW... QuickOffice has confirmed that they are indeed working on the editing version of the app for the TouchPad as a free-of-charge update for existing TouchPad users.
    The poster suggested Google docs which requires an internet connection. I decided on a notebook instead. Cost less and will do a lot more.
    Ahh..got it.. That didn't register in the brain
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a tablet but having a hard time deciding what I want. The ipad 2 seems good but I want a device that can play flash videos. I was once a webos user with the original pre but not anymore. Overall the Pre didn't deliver but Webos on the tablet seems pretty good but I don't like certain things:
    1. No video support for divx, mkv container unlike Android devices
    2. no document editor or pdf app from adobe like Android
    3. basically no apps.

Why can't Webos support more video codecs? I enjoy not having to convert anything for my Android phone and why is it taking long to get some decent apps or 1st party support? I am reluctant to end up holding a paper weight like the Palm Pre. What do you think I should do?
    It seems you have answered your question by yourself.