Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggendel
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hi,

Total newbie here. Just picked up a Touchpad off our local Craigslist yesterday and just trying to figure some stuff out.

I'm heavily into all things Google (GMail, Reader, Voice, Music, etc.). I have an Android phone but am also a big Apple guy, having only used Macs since I was in middle school (I'm 40 years old).

I've had and sold/returned Android tablets including the Galaxy Tab 10.1, HTC Flyer, etc. I have an iPad 2, but it's mainly used by my kids. Although the Android tablets are nice, they are essentially just bigger versions of my phone (albeit running Honeycomb OS instead of Gingerbread that's on my phone).

For these reasons, I wanted to try out the Touchpad and found a good deal on CL, so I bit.

Now, I'm wondering what's the best way to use GMail on the touchpad? I know in iOS, Google actually recommends that one set up GMail using the Exchange Server setting in iOS rather than the pre-configured "GMail" setting that iOS provides.

I tried to do the same thing on the Touchpad, but it seems that it basically just creates a GMail/Google account in the same manner as if one had just picked the pre-configured GMail/Google option.

I have many "aliases" set up with my GMail account so I can send emails out making them appear as if they have come from different addresses (for personal, work, Craigslist deals, etc.). It seems that the Touchpad GMail doesn't allow this. I can only send out emails using the email address that is part of the Google account that I added to the Touchpad.

Although not ideal, I decided to just log into my GMail on the web browser, but I'm having issues with that as well. It doesn't load the whole page. The little progress bar at the top basically stops about 90% across and my whole GMail page doesn't come through. Same holds through for Reader, etc.

Of course, I'm not expecting GMail and Google stuff to work as perfectly as they do on Android devices, but I'm just getting a bit frustrated with some of these issues.

Any advice, pointers, tips, links to help solve some of these problems would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    The way I set up my google account was to set up email using exchange, but my other services (contacts, calendars) as a separate, normal "gmail" account. The reason is that I wanted my contacts and calendars to be searchable via synergy directly. At least on my WebOS phones, using exchange for these meant a two step search when using Just-Type.

On my touchpad, I use the web interface for google voice, etc. You can set up launcher icons or bookmarks to go right to them. On my phone I use Voogle for Google Voice texting, but it hasn't gotten very good reviews and the developer seems to have abandoned WebOS.

As far as I can tell, you can't have email aliases for a single account on WebOS. Maybe a homebrew community patch could be made to allow the sending email field to be changed.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    callmeraymon likes this.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Okay, thanks for the detailed reply. Maybe I'll try your suggestion, but the lack of ability to use the different aliases (I think Google's mobile Safari version for iOS even allows that) and the flakey web browsing/loading of the GMail page is a bit disconcerting at this point.
    why not place all your gmail accounts in the touchpad so that you can choose whatever email you want to use when sending some?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    why not place all your gmail accounts in the touchpad so that you can choose whatever email you want to use when sending some?
    It's actually one gmail account with different "aliases."
    Pinkoos, I can't help you with your Gmail troubles, but I can welcome you to webOS and PreCentral. We're glad you're here!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I think he as a single gmail account and uses email aliases:

Using an address alias - Gmail Help

It would be really bad to set up multiple email accounts that point to the same gmail account. All sorts of syncing issues can happen, I know because I accidentally had my google exchange and standard google account active for email at the same time.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Pinkoos, I can't help you with your Gmail troubles, but I can welcome you to webOS and PreCentral. We're glad you're here!
    Thank you. Seems like a great place with very helpful and friendly members.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    This is what I'm doing:

Sending mail from a different address - Gmail Help

Select this drop down:

"I'm a Gmail or Google Apps user sending from an external address."