Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I walked to the HP Store in Vancouver today.

Three staff present, no other customers. I asked for the touchpad case, they pointed at the the Touchpads, did not greet me, did not say hello. I clarified I wanted a case, so they showed me a box. I asked to see the case, she asked her manager if she could open the box, and then did it, but clearly reluctantly.

I asked to see a keyboard, they had at least three in boxes but said they could not open one to show me.

I bought a case and touchstone, they knew I had $600 worth of HP hardware ($900 with the Pre2 in my hand) and said I might buy a keyboard if I could see one, but they said no, they could not do that.

I asked them to call me when they had a keyboard on display, to which the response was 'I don't think that will ever happpen'.

Walking back, past the Apple store, the staff of course were standing at the entrance, ipads in hand, asking if I wanted to try one.

I don't think I could have made up a stranger storey.

HP, and especially Matthew, the manager, if you want to call me and actually open a box, there is a better than even probability I will buy one. You took my number, or pm me.

But then, if you really don't want to sell one, I guess that is your prerogative.
    Last edited by aharmsworth; 07/28/2011 at 08:21 PM.
    WOW!!! Sad story man. Hopefully that store will get it's act together.
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    You should definitely hit their website and click on the "book a personal shopping appointment now". It will fire up an email to their sales department. You should post a link to this forum post in your email.

HP Store Vancouver

I totally agree with your points. It does seem totally rediculous that the TouchPad is totally featured on their website, yet their staff inside is totally oblivious.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Wow, what a disappointment. I have a 3 yr old MacBook Pro I am giving to my Dad so I went to the Apple store yesterday to see about a new MacBook Pro. The place was packed w/potential customers touching hardware. In the middle of the room, there was a group of kids at the Apple "summer camp."--brainwashing the youth of America!

I got individual & IMMEDIATE attention, played w/the hardware, & my questions answered. He had a handheld device that allowed him to price what I wanted (w/the EEP discount) & if I desired, he could ring me up & give me a receipt so I wouldn't even have to stand in line.

I definitely love webOS, but my Apple experience yesterday was amazing, especially in comparison to my Best Buy experience, which was much like your HP Store experience--where I had to show the HP Rep & the BB sales people some of the functionality of the TouchPad.

HP & their vendors really have to get their act together.
    Wow, that's unreal. What's wrong with them?
    I just passed this thread on to a contact at HP. They need to see this stuff. Thanks for sharing - and it really sucks to see crappy sales staff, no matter what company. But to have this happen at an HP store and then see how Apple's marketing team drills down to the very last detail (in this case having employees outside driving excitement) is just sad.
    ...and this is why all other tablets are essentially DOA in the market. Cell phones at least have the carriers invested in certain models to make them hits but none of the tablet manufacturers are really going out of their way to actually *sell* these devices.
    I could see how opening products that are sealed could be a problem, they would have to sell it at a "open-box" rate if you would not have bought it.

The other things have to be dealt with as they can easily be fixed.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    I could see how opening products that are sealed could be a problem, they would have to sell it at a "open-box" rate if you would not have bought it.
    OTOH, it's an *HP* store. They really ought to have one for demo. I know I can go down to the local Apple store and have absolutely no trouble trying out an Apple keyboard.
    laoh, ScottL, retroblu and 1 others like this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I just passed this thread on to a contact at HP. They need to see this stuff. Thanks for sharing - and it really sucks to see crappy sales staff, no matter what company. But to have this happen at an HP store and then see how Apple's marketing team drills down to the very last detail (in this case having employees outside driving excitement) is just sad.

Thanks, just to help them track, it was at approximately 5pm and I bought a case and touchstone.

Maybe I look strange or something, but they should also know that I do influence and approve computer hardware purchases for a 20 person engineering firm - this is not just about a $60 purchase, but potentially significantly more.
  11.    #11  

This is the HP store, I thought their purpose was to demo the product!

That answer might fly for a discount store like Future Shop, but not the HP store.
    Quote Originally Posted by aharmsworth View Post
    This is the HP store, I thought their purpose was to demo the product!

That answer might fly for a discount store like Future Shop, but not the HP store.
    Very true.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    maybe it's a fake HP store (like the fake apple stores in China)
    Nonsense! You want to sell a product, you open a frickin' box! HP will never be able to compete with that attitude.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Just curious, but doesn't HP have a 15 or 30 day return policy? I would have purchased, opened it in the mall, and then decided whether it met my satisfaction. I might have returned it just to make a point though.

A definite missed sale HP!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    OTOH, it's an *HP* store. They really ought to have one for demo. I know I can go down to the local Apple store and have absolutely no trouble trying out an Apple keyboard.
    I was surprised and pleased that my local Office Depot opened a box with the case in it. They had just received it and were interested in how it looks. I will go back to that store because they went out of their way to help me.
    nyquistjack likes this.
    He knew nothing about the touchpad lol and was recommending the iPad over their own product. Serious. Needless to say HP has never returned to Best Buy since
    Hein???????????????????????????????????

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    When I bought my TouchPad at BB, they took it out of the box for me to look at first. Of course they had to go to the back room to track down a case and touchstone (didn't even know what a touchstone was), but again opened all the boxes so I could check them out first. Retail is an unperfect animal.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amrcc View Post
    When I bought my TouchPad at BB, they took it out of the box for me to look at first. Of course they had to go to the back room to track down a case and touchstone (didn't even know what a touchstone was), but again opened all the boxes so I could check them out first. Retail is an unperfect animal.
    I went to Best Buy Mobile and they allowed me to play with all the accessories. They were super helpful. Some retail folks are just scared to do what they perceive as the wrong thing and don't think, "Hey, this might help me make a sale!"
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

NO EXCUSE for not having hardware on display and able/ready to use. Apple store not only has all the products, but has an iPad next to products which allow you to ask for a service rep, etc.

HP should WANT to show off their product--webOS, touchstone, etc. NOT hide the product. Be proud!
    Rnp likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast