Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LinT
  1.    #1  
    I'm sitting 15 feet from the router and my computer almost never need a WiFi restart. The TouchPad session dies out after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity. The symbol in the top right corner loses the top piece and the other two get a little dimmer than when the top one is lit up.

I checked settings and it's not set to sleep. Besides I'm on a router, not a phone.
    I have been having the same problems, but only at home. When I am on another WiFi network, I haven't had any issues, but I am also not idle as much when I am out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    I'm sitting 15 feet from the router and my computer almost never need a WiFi restart. The TouchPad session dies out after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity. The symbol in the top right corner loses the top piece and the other two get a little dimmer than when the top one is lit up.

I checked settings and it's not set to sleep. Besides I'm on a router, not a phone.
    I had this problem upon my first connection with my home network. I ended up restarting my router and modem and reconnecting. I have had a great connection ever sense.

I would also recommend going to a duel band router if you can. I have 5+ devices running on 2.4ghz and my TP and printer on 5ghz band. This gives you more range if you have been having consistent problems maintaining a wifi connections.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    try a different channel too.
    ariker01 likes this.
    I changed the channel on my router last week and it seemed to help but not solve the issue (1 drop in 2 hours intead of 4 per hour). I was trying to avoid a new router, but I think I have this one overloaded (1 desktop, 2 laptops, 1 Wii, 1 TiVo, 1 TP, 1 iPod, and 2 phones connected to the WiFi router)
    I have this issue at work (big corporation), but have never had this issue at home.

It almost thinks it is still connected. I then disconnect, reconnect, everything works, until I avoid activity for a few minutes, then it times out...

When I reconnect, it seems to work best if I launch the browser first, and hit a small site. Then I'm able to use the App Catalog, Email, etc.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    could it be a "feature" of the router disconnecting idle clients? and that the TP is just not as good in waking up and reconnecting as the other connected devices?
    Could just be a crappy router. You can pull your hair out troubleshooting it when the only solution may just be to get a better router. I had a WNR2000 with this plague that I finally just boxed back up and tossed in the trash. Bought one when my previous router's power supply bit the dust. It was refurbed--which I usually take to mean that any inherent bugs have been fixed--and on sale for like $20. Now I know why. Replaced it with a Zyxel X-550 and have never had any problems at all with it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I have the same problems, so yesterday I tried to avoid inactivity for the TP. I opened the site Engadget German which has a twitter timeline that gets updated every 2 seconds or so. As a card in a stack I placed the browser in the middle of the screen before powering off the TP.
    My impression is that it helped a lot. But at the same time I changed the channel of my WIFI, so I cannot be sure if this change made the difference.
    Until an OTA update hopefully fixes this issue, I will further investigate .
  10.    #10  
    Router is a D-Link DIR 555. TP is only device connecting wireless. Three computers and printer connect via lan. I've tested the wifi with a computer and do not have problems if I'm gone for hours. Router doesn't drop connection for inactivity. My computers have that option in their configuration. Router is using channels 5 thru 13. Neighbors wifi is less than one third the strength of my signal.

I read on another thread on this site that it is a known problem and is supposed to be fixed if they ever release an update. I hope so.

I did notice I seem to have more of a problem when the TP is not connected to power via cable or touchstone. I wonder if it was done as a battery saving feature for the TP. Bad planning if the user can't manage the connection.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I just got a new touchpad and got the update, but still has the problem.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Same problem here. I'm running two different linksys routers with updated firmwares and same problem. Both are on different channels also. The only thing I haven't changed is the band from 2.4 to 5ghz. Hopefully someone figures out whats going on.
  13.    #13  
    The OTA update greatly helped my WiFi lost connection problem. Still occasionally lose connection, but it's hours not minutes now.