Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Well how sad am I. I have been throught the full gamut of human emotions this afternoon. Initaially aprehensive a buying a device I didn't really "need". Pleased I got it at a good price (425 for 32gb..includes 10% staff discount). Aprehensive about buying a 1st gen device which people say may be a bit buggy ( calm when I realised it probably wasn't a deal beaker). Reassured by Tesco that I could return within 28 days if "I changed my mind".
    Excited at the look of the touchpad. Frustrated I couldnt connect to wifi on 1st connection. Annoyed that I couldn't do it myself so greatfull to be able to call a helpdesk who would sort it out. Annoyed that after half an hour on the phone it couldn't be sorted. basically auto IP setting button didn't work and manuall settings also failed. .Now fuming ( possibly really peeved ) that I had to return for a refund.
    Relief and anger mixed at the moment as I realise that I probably won't take the chance again and will have to live with my pc and palm pre2.

Well I just thought I would let you know and now I am off to get a life

Paul
    kill_dano and libray like this.
    Wow, you gave it a half hour of troubleshooting with HP and gave up. Didn't even wait for the OTA update that's coming by the end of the month. Amazing.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    No OTA update if you can't connect to WI.FI sadly.

Paul

PS Helpdesk was suggesting exchange. I believe refurbished models for this. Not what I signed up for.
    Doh. I didn't think of that. You got me there. You could exchange it for a new one at Tesco, right? Or at the very least you can get a refund and wait a couple of weeks for TouchPads that already have 3.0.2 on it.
    Unfortunately since you have already returned the device, no amount of support people can provide here will be able to assist you.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Do you have any tether app. I have noticed some wifi networks dump my connection. But I have no problem connecting with freeThether from my pre-. I would have maybe tired other wifi networks to see if this is an isolated problem.
    Typically when I see this issue it is because one of the devices is not using Wifi properly. Please remember WIFI is a technology of convenience.

Next time try this.

1. stand more then 6 feet from the wireless router.
    2. If the first spot doesn't work try a different wifi connection. If it doesn't work there might be a bunk radio.
    3. Turn off encryption to see if that is what is causing the issue

these along with about 7 more should be considered the 10 commandments of wireless
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Doh. I didn't think of that. You got me there. You could exchange it for a new one at Tesco, right? Or at the very least you can get a refund and wait a couple of weeks for TouchPads that already have 3.0.2 on it.
    I have been refunded in full. I may wait until further updates.

Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Do you have any tether app. I have noticed some wifi networks dump my connection. But I have no problem connecting with freeThether from my pre-. I would have maybe tired other wifi networks to see if this is an isolated problem.
    No tethering here but I want a device that works on WIFI to do all networks ( certainly my 50mb home service) as I won't have 3G backup ( unlike the palm pre 2). maybe I will wait for 3g model.

Paul
    speedtouch and thetman like this.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Typically when I see this issue it is because one of the devices is not using Wifi properly. Please remember WIFI is a technology of convenience.

Next time try this.

2. If the first spot doesn't work try a different wifi connection. If it doesn't work there might be a bunk radio.

these along with about 7 more should be considered the 10 commandments of wireless
    Thanks , I think the help desk thought that it was a radio problem. I would have tried another wifi network but all visible networks were "locked".
    there are ( at times) 5 other devices connected to this network ok.

Paul
    I'm glad the Wright brother persevered for a bit longer with their flyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by kremmen View Post
    Thanks , I think the help desk thought that it was a radio problem. I would have tried another wifi network but all visible networks were "locked".

Paul
    If you were seeing 5 networks I don't think it was a radio problem.

Just as an add on, not that it will help you, but the thread title made this sound more negative than it was.

In less than 2 weeks with the TP, I have tethered with 2 different phones, connected to my home network (and could see my neighbors network), and connect to the free public wifi at my work. I work in a large building and the wifi signal isn't always great, some folks can't get computers to connect to it (I have multiple coworkers that have had this problem).

The only device I have EVER had that wouldn't connect to a home wifi network was a Nook color... well actually it connected but said it didn't have "internet". So just outta curiosity to the OP, is this a wireless router you own and setup or something else?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I'm glad the Wright brother persevered for a bit longer with their flyer.
    Had the Wright brothers been waiting on an OTA update from HP, we would still all be "flightless".
    jtfolden and Wozza666 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post

Next time try this.

Number 3 is a killer of WiFi connections. I have had many a device trip over encryption in various manners.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If you were seeing 5 networks I don't think it was a radio problem.

Just as an add on, not that it will help you, but the thread title made this sound more negative than it was.

In less than 2 weeks with the TP, I have tethered with 2 different phones, connected to my home network (and could see my neighbors network), and connect to the free public wifi at my work. I work in a large building and the wifi signal isn't always great, some folks can't get computers to connect to it (I have multiple coworkers that have had this problem).

The only device I have EVER had that wouldn't connect to a home wifi network was a Nook color... well actually it connected but said it didn't have "internet". So just outta curiosity to the OP, is this a wireless router you own and setup or something else?
    I am pleased that you have had no problems. I was just venting and really was feeling up and down . I have calmed down somewhat since then. The problem I had was the same as your Nook and as I was mainly going to use in the home attatched to my own wireless router I thought I would start fresh. I just don't know when that will be.

As for the post re the Wright brothers . I am not sure that this is in any way similar as I have more than 1 "flight " option ( including other Touchpads) so it would be mad to persevere with a "duff" touchpad. best to start again when I am ready.

Paul
    Yeah the wifi issue is odd. I use mine over an WPA2 encryption with no issues. Also at work no issues, and also tethered to my pre -. Sucks yours didn't work.
    I am pleased that you have had no problems. I was just venting and really was feeling up and down . I have calmed down somewhat since then. The problem I had was the same as your Nook and as I was mainly going to use in the home attatched to my own wireless router I thought I would start fresh. I just don't know when that will be.
    If your network is encrypted this was probably your problem with not getting "internet" access. As was said above, this can cause issues, especially on first use of some devices.

The Nook I was attempting to setup required an encryption for activation (at least that's what my mom was told). I had 3 laptops, a blue ray player, an ipad, and kindle all on the network using WPA.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If your network is encrypted this was probably your problem with not getting "internet" access. As was said above, this can cause issues, especially on first use of some devices.

The Nook I was attempting to setup required an encryption for activation (at least that's what my mom was told). I had 3 laptops, a blue ray player, an ipad, and kindle all on the network using WPA.
    Yup. I had codes. It just didnt work.

Paul

Paul
    I do hope that at a minimum, you tried rebooting your access point/router. I've seen this fix problems a number of times, especially on the lower end routers they use for home systems.

I probably should mention, I ran into a somewhat similar problem with my own home system. Unboxed my TP, put in my key for my router. It connected, but would not get an IP address. I rebooted the TP, same response. I finally just manually entered an IP address that I knew wouldn't conflict along with the other settings, and everything worked fine.

A few days later after doing some experimenting, I doctored my TP (at my office). When I got home of course, I had to re-enter my home network key. I remembered having to set the IP address, and was a little shocked with the TP got an address on its own with no problem.

Then I remembered, we'd had a brief power outage two nights before. Of course, that rebooted the router (which is also the DHCP server).

In short, in spite of 5 devices working with no problem, the problem still might be with your router.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/28/2011 at 12:23 PM.
    step 1. Find a wifi router that has no security enabled. Freetether on a Pre2 works nicely.

step 2. Connect and activate

step 3. Figure out how ti connect to your normal wifi router(s).

eliminate variables first and always.
    No OTA update if you can't connect to WI.FI sadly.

Paul

PS Helpdesk was suggesting exchange. I believe refurbished models for this. Not what I signed up for.
    Well, when they release an OTA they'll obviously release a new webOS doctor as well.

If you're in your store return period then an exchange means taking it back to the store and getting a brand new one for returning the current one.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast