Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    you make my point for me, when connecting 5 or more devices (especially in a decently sized home) the wifi setup at any point could have been optimized for one of those other devices or the layout of the house.

I will add to that having 5 or more devices connected I would guarantee they arent all on the same life cycle as far as up to date technology is concerned. The setup has been made to accomodate the oldest device on the network and you are setting up a brand new device.

Once again in the case of the OP he confirmed he was connected to his wifi network and could also see 5 other networks, so yeah weak antennas isnt the case.
    Wifi networking really isn't as fret with troubles as you make it out to be. I've managed wifi networks in hotels previously and, of course, they were used by a myriad number of customers all bringing a myriad number of devices.

I service computers for a living and have for 20 years. I bring devices into my home almost every day. Unless it's an incredibly outdated bit of tech, is just buggy, or defective - it never takes over 30 minutes to get a device on the network.

A typical home network should not be an issue for a Touchpad... you know the device that everyone claims is intended for business markets with vastly more complicated setups.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Aren't you making jtfolden's point? That would be the cheap Bluray player's fault, no?
    Yes, he (and others) are making my point exactly. ...and while I might let a buggy Blu-ray player's wifi support slide as that's not one of its primary features its an entirely different ballgame when it comes to something like a TP where its lifeblood is delivered via wifi. ...and coming from a company as large as HP, there's no excuse for bad backward compatibility for still commonly used protocols.

The only really helpful suggestion I've seen is power cycling the router.

However, again, a person should not have to spend the first 30 minutes of using a new device on the phone troubleshooting something like this. Anyone who thinks the average consumer won't return a product over this is thinking too highly of the mass population. Like kremmen, it should work 'out of the box' or very nearly close to it.

Even if his experience is not the majority's, it could be a perfectly valid example of the TP's wifi support needing improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    In their defense, the first 30 minutes after buying a several hundred dollar device shouldn't need to be spent troubleshooting.
    Indeed not...
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Im surprised that after 10 min of troubleshooting you didnt think... "maybe i should look at my router?"
    hparsons and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Yes, he (and others) are making my point exactly. ...and while I might let a buggy Blu-ray player's wifi support slide as that's not one of its primary features its an entirely different ballgame when it comes to something like a TP where its lifeblood is delivered via wifi. ...and coming from a company as large as HP, there's no excuse for bad backward compatibility for still commonly used protocols.

The only really helpful suggestion I've seen is power cycling the router.

However, again, a person should not have to spend the first 30 minutes of using a new device on the phone troubleshooting something like this. Anyone who thinks the average consumer won't return a product over this is thinking too highly of the mass population. Like kremmen, it should work 'out of the box' or very nearly close to it.

Even if his experience is not the majority's, it could be a perfectly valid example of the TP's wifi support needing improvement.
    I'd be inclined to agree with you had the OP gone to a McD's or a Starbucks and had the same problem. As such the variable in this case was the router and NOT the TP. Alas he gave up before fully determining the problem.

I supposed I could have returned my Xbox360 Slim since it didn't connect out of the box to my router which had 9 other devices on it. 'Cause you know, the X360S is such a poor selling, low quality device...

So I Freetethered my Pre- and the X360 connected to it fine, so then I went to the router for some tweaking and found it liked channel 6 and antenna power on a lesser strength. Guess it's a crap device...

/smh
    ...When a person has a fully functioning network setup where other devices work properly on it every single day and then a new device is purchased that has troubles. It's probably not the wifi setup.
    Sorry, gotta disagree with you on that one. There are just too many variables to make a blanket statement like that.

The model router I have at my home (which is a very common one in this area) has a problem handing out DHCP addresses after it's been running a long time (see my earlier post). With no new devices coming on the network, I could go a long time with no issues, and still have that problem.

An existing device only has to renew its DHCP lease, it doesn't need a new number. So, the 8 or so devices at my house all get DHCP addresses. Over the next 6 months, some disconnect, only to be reconnected later that day, or the next. No new IP addresses are handed out, only old leases renewed.

The error kicks in somewhere in that 6 month period, but none of us notice, because our devices just keep on renewing their leases. Then I bring home my new TouchPad, and it connects but won't get an IP address. It works at all 5 of the other locations I try it (work, church, resturant, and two of my kids' homes), but not mine.

Then I reboot the router, and the problem is "fixed". For now.

No issue with the TouchPad, it's all the router.
    bevcraw and Cantaffordit like this.
    Does your Pre2 connect to your wifi? I would think if that can, then a TP can
    Quote Originally Posted by kremmen View Post
    Yup.

I believe its WEP. Are you saying Tp doen't work with WEP?

It has this as an option on menu but it still didn't work.

Paul
    No, it does (on of my daughters still has a WEP system in their home). His point is that it may have problems (may is the key word here) in a WEP environmnet, because WEP is largely being discontinued, and likely wasn't as well tested.

If you're running WEP at your home, I could bring a laptop over and tell you your password key in about 30 minutes. I have friends that could do it in half that time.

WEP is not very secure, which is why most folks use a stronger encryption.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    In their defense, the first 30 minutes after buying a several hundred dollar device shouldn't need to be spent troubleshooting.
    I suspect that's more of an inssue with HP's help desk than with the TouchPad. The HelpDesk still leave a lot to be desired.

I was embarrassed that I didn't think of cycling the router (after I had it all figured out) - but I probably would have if it had taken me 30 minutes to come up with a workaround, instead of 5.

And while I agree with you in theory, the fact is that they weren't simply troubleshooting the new several hundred dollar device - the existing router (an unknown part of the puzzle) that was configured by someone else (also an unknow part of the puzzle).

Bottom line here is that there are too many unknowns at this point to say it was the fault with the several hundred dollar device. Could have been that, the router, or even the user (no offense meant, OP).

I can't tell you the number of times I've asked someone repeatedly if they're sure they're typing in their password correctly, only to find out far into the process that they forgot their caps lock was on. Shoot, I've done it myself!
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    A typical home network should not be an issue for a Touchpad... you know the device that everyone claims is intended for business markets with vastly more complicated setups.
    Please, why the negative implication there?

Truth be told, those "complicated setups" are more likely to work without issue. Their complexity lies in the setup and configuration, not in the end user experience.

Home systems are much easier to set up, but that simplicity makes them also easier to set up wrong.

Then there's the price. Go compare the price difference between high-end commercial access point, and the average home router/wireless system (that is cheaper, but also has the router built in). There's a reason for that price difference.
    bevcraw, cobrakon and Cantaffordit like this.
    Or, a perfectly valid example of the users home system having a problem (or even a perfectly valid example of HP's new help desk employee needing more training or a better queue card).

My point is, we really don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, it does (on of my daughters still has a WEP system in their home). His point is that it may have problems (may is the key word here) in a WEP environmnet, because WEP is largely being discontinued, and likely wasn't as well tested.

If you're running WEP at your home, I could bring a laptop over and tell you your password key in about 30 minutes. I have friends that could do it in half that time.

WEP is not very secure, which is why most folks use a stronger encryption.
    I cracked my neighbors wep password in 2 minutes! scary bad
    PS nothing malicious lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Or, a perfectly valid example of the users home system having a problem (or even a perfectly valid example of HP's new help desk employee needing more training or a better queue card).

My point is, we really don't know.
    or just a piece of crap router. I know when mine start dying...usually every 2 years or so....they always do something crazy. kick one device off wifi, drop and renew once device every 10 seconds, config two devices and assign them the same IP, etc.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    as far as the help desk mentions, also remember lots of help desks cant/wont help you trouble shoot your router because they dont want to be liable for your 5 other devices not working after the fact. They can only really help you with their product unless the router happens to be their product too.

This is why when it came time to encrypt my parents network I made the drive over to he house got a free meal and a couple free beers to set every device up for them. I have many times walked my mom thru router trouble shooting. But when hooking up the amount of hardware and various OS/GUI elements, no way I was attempting that over the phone.

This has to be IMHO the problem with only having wireless activation. Even though some folks would have you believe wifi is simple, for most consumers it is not that simple even if they setup their own router, the setup guides are weak, and are usually windows centric. Then sometimes folks set them up with assistance from the router company (or ISP) meaning they are being told what to do, have no clue why or what they are doing, wont remember what they did, possibly not even remember their password (seriously seen this happen).

as said above, this is not directed at the OP, but to those that are trying to convey that wifi is simple
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    My fiancée got home with her new Macbook Air and tried to connect it to the WiFi and for the life of her it just wouldn't connect. It got to the point she called up Apple tech support trying to figure it out and to no avail. What she didn't realize (and apparently the Apple tech never considered to check) is that I have Access Control enabled on our router so she couldn't connect to it until the MBA's MAC address was added to the whitelist.

Just thought that would be fun story to share.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    if he had gone to mcdonalds or starbucks it would have failed because he wouldn't be able to get out of the walled garden to get to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree with you had the OP gone to a McD's or a Starbucks and had the same problem. As such the variable in this case was the router and NOT the TP. Alas he gave up before fully determining the problem.

I supposed I could have returned my Xbox360 Slim since it didn't connect out of the box to my router which had 9 other devices on it. 'Cause you know, the X360S is such a poor selling, low quality device...

So I Freetethered my Pre- and the X360 connected to it fine, so then I went to the router for some tweaking and found it liked channel 6 and antenna power on a lesser strength. Guess it's a crap device...

/smh
    I have to admit the setup was unnecessarily difficult. I was in a hotel with a captive portal, so it would not let me set it up. Unbelievable. Fortunately I know webOS very well (well not as well as Rod and Jason, but better than 95% of users), and was able to set it up tethered to my Pre.

I think that out of the box, basic browsing should work, kind of like the Ubuntu philosophy, you can run the basics from the CD, can't save, set up accounts, etc, but you can browse and set up a wifi connection easily, use webmail, and try the programs. That can't be too hard to program.

HP is loosing too many customer with these teething problems.
    unbelievable? Why would you expect to be able to activate through a captive portal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    My fiancée got home with her new Macbook Air and tried to connect it to the WiFi and for the life of her it just wouldn't connect. It got to the point she called up Apple tech support trying to figure it out and to no avail. What she didn't realize (and apparently the Apple tech never considered to check) is that I have Access Control enabled on our router so she couldn't connect to it until the MBA's MAC address was added to the whitelist.

Just thought that would be fun story to share.
    And here's the really funny thing - all of these "experts" on here, and none of us mentioned this possibility (myself included). The symptoms the OP described fit this scenario.

OP, any chance you have MAC addresses locked down?
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree with you had the OP gone to a McD's or a Starbucks and had the same problem.
    I'd actually be extraordinarily amazed if he was able to activate from a public wifi spot like McDonald's because you generally have to agree to TOS, etc, to get past the captive portal at those places. No, indeed, it would be immediately obvious why he couldn't activate at McD's or Starbucks.

As such the variable in this case was the router and NOT the TP. Alas he gave up before fully determining the problem.
    No, that can't be discerned as the variable. Since we're not there, we can't know for sure unless the OP gets another TP and finds a definitive solution (or reason for incompatibility).

However, in a stable working wifi environment it's generally only troublesome or outdated devices that need accommodation.

Antenna power on lesser strength???? Uhh, yeah, If I had to do that in my 19 room home, thereby causing connectivity issues at the far reaches of the property, I would return it.

If connectivity issues we as big a problem as they appear to be for some in this thread, people would still be running around looking for a jack to plug in their modem.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast