Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Thanks folks. All usefull suggestions for the next time. keep em coming . I am sure I am not the only one to have had this problem and if it reoccurs next time I will look here before panicking ( Who me )

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by kremmen View Post
    Thanks folks. All usefull suggestions for the next time. keep em coming . I am sure I am not the only one to have had this problem and if it reoccurs next time I will look here before panicking ( Who me )

Paul
    You're right. You are definitely not the only one who's had wifi problems with the TP. Just run a search on these forums and you'll see it's somewhat common.

Definitely seek the sage help at these forums. Ta.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    You're right. You are definitely not the only one who's had wifi problems with the TP. Just run a search on these forums and you'll see it's somewhat common.

Definitely seek the sage help at these forums. Ta.
    I personally have had issues with dropped connection on my company WiFi. However I've also had similar issues with my iTouch on the company WiFi, so I'm more inclined to blame the WiFi rather than the TouchPad which has been fine on all other networks I've connected to.
    @kremmen
    You brought it back to the store and staff haven't tried to hook it on their network?
    1) if you take it back to the store, say its defective and get another one, the one you get is new...not refurbished. Dunno where you were "told" that bologna.

2) its probably the way you have YOUR wifi setup. I deal with this issue every day. But you just blamed the device.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    TP WiFi connection (WPA2) has been rock solid for me from day 1. I previously had a lot of problems with WiFi on an iPad (had to frequently disable and re-enable WiFi) and that appeared to be down to it not liking a particular WiFi channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    1) if you take it back to the store, say its defective and get another one, the one you get is new...not refurbished. Dunno where you were "told" that bologna.
    He was told by tech support that they could "exchange" it, not the store where he bought it. He's right about it being a refurb, most likely. When I had a problem with my Palm after I first bought it, Palm wanted to exchange it for a refurbished device. I just took it back to the store.

2) its probably the way you have YOUR wifi setup. I deal with this issue every day. But you just blamed the device.
    When a person has a fully functioning network setup where other devices work properly on it every single day and then a new device is purchased that has troubles. It's probably not the wifi setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    When a person has a fully functioning network setup where other devices work properly on it every single day and then a new device is purchased that has troubles. It's probably not the wifi setup.
    This is incorrect. Sometimes it's as simple as changing the channel and could have multiple factors. As has been said multiple times in this thread wifi can have all kinds of small glitches with various devices.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This is incorrect. Sometimes it's as simple as changing the channel and could have multiple factors. As has been said multiple times in this thread wifi can have all kinds of small glitches with various devices.
    No, that's wrong. When you have 6-12 other devices working fine on the wifi, your example is simply making accommodations for the new device (TP). The new device might have weak antennas, not handle WPA2 well, etc... there may be work arounds to help that device work but it's still not a "problem" with the wifi setup.
    He was told by tech support that they could "exchange" it, not the store where he bought it. He's right about it being a refurb, most likely. When I had a problem with my Palm after I first bought it, Palm wanted to exchange it for a refurbished device. I just took it back to the store.

and then he says he took it to the store to return...where he coulda just got another.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    +1

No, that's wrong. When you have 6-12 other devices working fine on the wifi, your example is simply making accommodations for the new device (TP). The new device might have weak antennas, not handle WPA2 well, etc... there may be work arounds to help that device work but it's still not a "problem" with the wifi setup.
    you need to set up more cheap bluray players on wireless networks. they almost NEVER work correctly.

its due to the security standards not being supported by the same standard across all devices....wep, wpa, wpa2, etc.

the op might have his network setup some crazy wep and all his current stuff works but something new doesnt like it since it wants newer encryptions.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    you make my point for me, when connecting 5 or more devices (especially in a decently sized home) the wifi setup at any point could have been optimized for one of those other devices or the layout of the house.

I will add to that having 5 or more devices connected I would guarantee they arent all on the same life cycle as far as up to date technology is concerned. The setup has been made to accomodate the oldest device on the network and you are setting up a brand new device.

Once again in the case of the OP he confirmed he was connected to his wifi network and could also see 5 other networks, so yeah weak antennas isnt the case.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    you need to set up more cheap bluray players on wireless networks. they almost NEVER work correctly.
    Aren't you making jtfolden's point? That would be the cheap Bluray player's fault, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Aren't you making jtfolden's point? That would be the cheap Bluray player's fault, no?
    its the fact that wifi devices nearly all prefer a differenct encryption standard that they work best with.

when you get into many, many wifi devices you'll inevitably end up with an issue.

The TP works great on WPA2, but he might have his wifi setup with wep because theres another older, legacy device on the network.

it could be any combination.
    @agentmock

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I agree.

I expect the item to work "out of the box".Or if not then after contacting help desk.

I was worried this would be syptomatic. I will wait and use the experiences / advice here before I try again.

paul
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I do hope that at a minimum, you tried rebooting your access point/router. I've seen this fix problems a number of times, especially on the lower end routers they use for home systems.

I probably should mention, I ran into a somewhat similar problem with my own home system. Unboxed my TP, put in my key for my router. It connected, but would not get an IP address. I rebooted the TP, same response. I finally just manually entered an IP address that I knew wouldn't conflict along with the other settings, and everything worked fine.

A few days later after doing some experimenting, I doctored my TP (at my office). When I got home of course, I had to re-enter my home network key. I remembered having to set the IP address, and was a little shocked with the TP got an address on its own with no problem.

Then I remembered, we'd had a brief power outage two nights before. Of course, that rebooted the router (which is also the DHCP server).

In short, in spite of 5 devices working with no problem, the problem still might be with your router.
    Good point regarding a power recycle with router. This usually fixes my connections once restarted, especially if you have had a firmware update.

I had a single band N rougher for my home network and I had 5+ devices hooked to it. My Touchpad dropped quite a bit. I then preformed a power recycle with my modem and then router and all devices kept a great signal.
    Sense then I purchased a dual band router. Have all my devices running on 2.4ghz band and my TP and printer on 5ghz. Love it!
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    its the fact that wifi devices nearly all prefer a differenct encryption standard that they work best with.

when you get into many, many wifi devices you'll inevitably end up with an issue.

The TP works great on WPA2, but he might have his wifi setup with wep because theres another older, legacy device on the network.

it could be any combination.
    Yup.

I believe its WEP. Are you saying Tp doen't work with WEP?

It has this as an option on menu but it still didn't work.

Paul
    Yup.

I believe its WEP. Are you saying Tp doen't work with WEP?

It has this as an option on menu but it still didn't work.

Paul

wep is the lowest encryption standard and the oldest. its also the easiest to hack.

most current devices dont play too well with it.

and i dont mean this was EXACTLY your issue. but ive seen it be an issue a ton.
    @agentmock

Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Wow, you gave it a half hour of troubleshooting with HP and gave up. Didn't even wait for the OTA update that's coming by the end of the month. Amazing.
    In their defense, the first 30 minutes after buying a several hundred dollar device shouldn't need to be spent troubleshooting.

Well how sad am I. I have been throught the full gamut of human emotions this afternoon. Initaially aprehensive a buying a device I didn't really "need". Pleased I got it at a good price (425 for 32gb..includes 10% staff discount). Aprehensive about buying a 1st gen device which people say may be a bit buggy ( calm when I realised it probably wasn't a deal beaker). Reassured by Tesco that I could return within 28 days if "I changed my mind".
    Excited at the look of the touchpad. Frustrated I couldnt connect to wifi on 1st connection. Annoyed that I couldn't do it myself so greatfull to be able to call a helpdesk who would sort it out. Annoyed that after half an hour on the phone it couldn't be sorted. basically auto IP setting button didn't work and manuall settings also failed. .Now fuming ( possibly really peeved ) that I had to return for a refund.
    Relief and anger mixed at the moment as I realise that I probably won't take the chance again and will have to live with my pc and palm pre2.

Well I just thought I would let you know and now I am off to get a life

Paul
    Returned for a REFURB is unacceptable. That is just not right.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    In their defense, the first 30 minutes after buying a several hundred dollar device shouldn't need to be spent troubleshooting.
    you should see when I have to troubleshoot $10k+ devices...or my buddy who bought a $90k device and before it was delivered got a call and the company said "oh btw, it wont work til you buy the $40k update"
    @agentmock

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast