Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By russraff32
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    It's getting kinda boring looking/listening to all the pseudo-hype surrounding the current round of tablets... asides from everything else, they just being used/promoted as tablets!

So, picture this:
    A 7" WebOS tablet, with a mechanism to embed it in a car's dash. It should:
    1) be removable
    2) Have a kick-***** GPS application
    3) Use an enhanced TTS/Bluetooth/Touchstone interface to communicate with in-car systems (audio, climate control, etc), and provide a consistent GUI for all these (plus GPS and any other native apps)
    4) be smart enough NOT to play movies while the car is in motion (sorry, kamikaze drivers!)
    5) Include interactive tutorials on the vehicle functions, road safety, interactive scheduling of maintenance visits
    ... I really could go on for awhile (teach me to have a cappuccino at 10:00 p.m.!)

When the HP acuisition of Palm was announced, I was sure we'd be seeing WebOS-enabled TVs and other appliances within 12-18 months. NOT!

C'MON, HP!
    Where's your sense of adventure?
    What happened to Innovation?
    Stop trying to play catch up (Pre 3, anyone... Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!), grow a set, and get out there with some cool ideas!

Pretty sure Rahul Sood, et al would be all over that... might even want one in his GTR!!! (no offense, Mr Sood!)

OK, /rant

I suppose I should try (c) Russell Raff, 2011 or something!

russ
    Have you put in a job application with HP yet? I'm only half-kidding. Great ideas!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Have you put in a job application with HP yet? I'm only half-kidding. Great ideas!
    Oh, no! I ciuldn't possibly even think about that...
    I'm basking in the glorious light of starting up a software company... why on earth would I want to give all that up to join a silly little company like HP???!!!

<just kidding, HP.. no, really....)

russ
    Been thinking about this ever since I put a TS in my car, and hooked up Bluetooth sound through my stock stereo. However, I was thinking more along the lines of just the media/navigation.

I highly doubt HP is going to go that far with climate control integration, maintenance, etc right away. Hell, HP has released one tablet and one phone so far. Give it a year or two for them to make sure webOS is going to spread a bit more and become more well known for them to jump in to a deal with a car company like Microsoft did with Ford.

Still, I'd love to have one acting as my 'headunit' like my Pre- does now. Throw in the ability to connect to a Bluetooth OBD-II reader... And we'd be on course for some sweet stuff. I hope the OBD-II stuff is being developed by someone (ScanTool, where's the webOS love?). I'd say by Spring we may start seeing some cool new stuff. Hopefully by the time I'm able to afford a new car
    Makes sense to me. Every new vehicle out there has a 7-9"~ touch display on their dash for all of that. Why not make it completely removable and portable?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Isn't Rahul's poor GT-R RIP? :-(
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Isn't Rahul's poor GT-R RIP? :-(

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Say it aint so!

I didn't see anything on his blog

russ
    My concept has actually been a touchscreen autoPC running the PC version of WebOS for the GUI. But then again I like to rip apart cars and hardwire crap into em.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    7" TP is expected later....
    This is the type of innovation that webOS needs to gain traction. Great ideas!
    Don't forget to add bluetooth OBDII! IOS and Android have it and I would LOVE to have it also.
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Oh, no! I ciuldn't possibly even think about that...
    I'm basking in the glorious light of starting up a software company... why on earth would I want to give all that up to join a silly little company like HP???!!!

<just kidding, HP.. no, really....)

russ
    Do both. Contact HP as a VAR, and start implementing all of this stuff through your software company.

That's the type of thing HP jumps at!
    Do both. Contact HP as a VAR, and start implementing all of this stuff through your software company.

speaking of which, maybe I should jump he gun and start developing some auto type apps now ;-)

along with the few other ideas I have
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    FetusSoup likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    speaking of which, maybe I should jump he gun and start developing some auto type apps now ;-)

along with the few other ideas I have
    Need a UI engineer and designer?
  15.    #15  

Well, we recently registered as an HP partner... but I have not yet reserached their ISV-type programs.

We operate in the ECM (Enterprise Content Management) space - I have not yet figured a way to bring WebOS and that world together (maybe a WebOS-based briefcase for moving things between devices, printers and ECM repositories.... TBDTBDTBD!

Thanks for the encouragement!

russ