Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By luigidk
  • 3 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By bobsentell
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Sure would be great if Preware came installed on new Touchpads. Would certainly open it up to many more users.

Homebrew is such a competitive advantage - but needs to be more accessible.
    akshunj and k4ever like this.
    it would be a security and support nightmare. Palm did their part creating Developer Mode so we don't need to root.
    I could see them offering it in the Marketplace with the limitation you can only download it if you are in developer mode.
    grasshoper likes this.
    That's kind of like asking why Mazda or Ford doesn't sell their cars with do-it-yourself turbo kits.
    Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram does. HP is fine with homebrew. If they weren't, they wouldn't have given them a fancy server to host their stuff.
    HP can only support homebrew so much without screwing over other parts like contract requirements, policies, and security. Why else do you think they added a password option for developer mode?

It would be nice for HP to allow Preware into the app catalog feeds, but there would be quite a few issues with that as well.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram does. HP is fine with homebrew. If they weren't, they wouldn't have given them a fancy server to host their stuff.
    really??? Please elaborate, I know they sell warrantied dealer installed upgrades just as toyota did over a decade ago.... But not the same thing at all. Preware allows limitless customization, HP would then be paying for the "aftermarket" support.

for anyone that knows cars knows you are misrepresenting the difference here. HP supports homebrew but isnt going to install it by default.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    A good chunk of the performance stuff Mopar sells is not dealer installed. I have bought stuff from them over the years and have had to install all of it myself.

I'm not saying HP should preinstall it, but they have financially supported the homebrew community. Why not add their app to the marketplace for those running devmode?
    There's a necessary education to use and understand homebrew as well. That's available in the app catalog, and from there people can take action with homebrew if they choose.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    There's a necessary education to use and understand homebrew as well. That's available in the app catalog, and from there people can take action with homebrew if they choose.
    Agreed. HP does support the Homebrew developer community. It might be interesting to know what percentage of users do have Preware and tinker with those apps/patches.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    All great responses and understand the issues and concerns.

The real question I'm wondering is that I find Homebrew to be a significant difference maker with webOS. My Pre- is bearable because of Homebrew... I have patches and functions that make the entire experience much better.

It is a big advantage over competitive platforms.

So the better question is - how can HP leverage this advantage? More importantly - how can it be made much more available to the typical consumer?

Having to download and run webOSQI, enabling DevMode, just isn't something most people are going to do (or even know about).

That in itself is a shame.

... and lost opportunity for HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    A good chunk of the performance stuff Mopar sells is not dealer installed. I have bought stuff from them over the years and have had to install all of it myself.

I'm not saying HP should preinstall it, but they have financially supported the homebrew community. Why not add their app to the marketplace for those running devmode?
    Two reasons.

The first and primary reason is that if they include it in the app catalog then they have to provide technical support for it and whatever it leads too. They do not want to have to do that.

The second and a much lesser reason, it's already extremely simple to install Preware. Download quick install, activate dev mod, plug in, then install and you're done. It's takes all of 2 minutes.
    the thing you keep missing is running homebrew/preware requires some knowledge and desire, HP doesnt want everyone having root access to their products for many reasons that shouldnt even have to be explained

the easiest reason is then HP would have to support these users using software and patches that may have adverse affects and have varrying levels of testing. HP cant be responsible for warrantying all of the random code that can be created and submitted by anyone.

you should really be happy HP and Palm have strongly supported homebrew. I am, if they went further to enable homebrew at some point hey would cross the line of the average user thinking HP technically supports homebrew, long term I think that would backfire on all of us.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    The easy access to Developer Mode is probably hard enough for HP to sell to some carriers, without the adding Preware into the equation. And as many have said, it would be a support nightmare. Access to Developer Mode etc needs to require a conscious action, and therefore acceptance of responsibility, by the user.
    the main thing missing is ability to install wirelessly without having to connect it with a cable to the computer

surely theres a way
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)