Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By luigidk
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Clock is ticking a bit on the $50.00 rebate for us 'legacy' users. With the rebate I'm seeing a TP for right around $500.00.

Here are some of my questions:
    - Not sure if I should wait for a device that doesn't require WiFi. I can use my PRE- and freetether - but then I've got battery issues and always need that 1 extra device. Besides my PRE- is on a short life span going forward.

- Why would I NOT wait for the AT&T version with data? Some things come to mind... it IS AT&T afterall..., more expensive for the data plan.

- I've never been a great fan of pure WiFi for all my connectivity - I am not crazy about connecting to public networks and my experience is that a data plan is often less expensive than paying for multiple hotspot access

- What are general thoughts about connectivity? Use a device with built in data plans?, Use an external device - Mifi, Phone? Wifi by itself?

- I'm going to be traveling quite a bit. A TP seems like a great way to go rather than slugging around even a smaller laptop. Seeing that SplashTop is on the way alleviates lots of those issues!

- For business use I typically use my Pre- for emails/texts... would I do more on the TP instead? (though I really can't imagine carrying a TP around in my pocket!)

- It sure seems like the initial roll-out issues are being resolved, albeit it somewhat slowly... some new great apps, patches, OTA (hopeful)...

- Do you think this version of the TP is a throw-away in 6-12 months?

- Maybe the Pre3 is a better, longer term solution? Fully prepared to switch to Verizon if I have to... Longer term I can see having to have both my phone and TP on the same cell provider sharing all voice and data...
    Honestly, I think that if you wait after HP/Palm, you will wait forever :P
    That's why I've buy the first generation of the TouchPad
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vince400 View Post
    Honestly, I think that if you wait after HP/Palm, you will wait forever :P
    That's why I've buy the first generation of the TouchPad
    That is a really good point
    vince400 likes this.
    You said you had a Pre, so why not just get a TP and use Freetether on the Pre to get Internet to the TP? Works great for me.

Don't pay Ma Bell what you can do for yourself for free.
    if u don't mind paying a monthly fee for the 3g radio, wait for that. Otherwise, grab one now.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I would wait for the 3G on ATT. I got a tp and found that using the hotspot on my Pixi Plus quickly killed the phone battery. Kind of defeats the purpose of a tablet when you only get an hour or so of wifi on the go. The minimal data plan is sufficient if you have wifi at home and work and have the hot spot for heavy remote acces. I also like having the gps for map/navigation.

I decided to get iPad 3G to hold me over until there is a 3G tp --preferably a 7" unit.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    I'm 2 days away from the point of not being able to return mine. I bought case, Touchstone & keyboard.

I'm keeping it.

I've gone through media not showing up, sound disappearing, the odd self reboot. While they haven't been solved per se... I've found how to deal with them here.

Zero build quality issues for me, wifi only also no issue...im either on my home wifi, or Pre in pocket. There isn't a whole lot of apps, but there's a trickle, every day more get pushed out and there's enough that are keeping me occupied, not to mention the ones I already have from my Pre that are getting revisited on the big screen. SNES is a great example.

is it flawless? Of course not, don't kid yourself. Is it leaps & bounds over Pre-? It sure is

I also meant to add a large motivation for me was first-hand user reviews. I had 2 weeks between USA-Canada release dates to read them. It made me want it more. I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money, I'd rate my satisfaction 9/10.
    Last edited by sledge007; 07/28/2011 at 04:11 AM.
    I think it's weird that you should ask whether the current TouchPad will be 'a throwaway' in a year's time. It won't. Even if they release a better, faster TouchPad with more connectivity options in half a year, the old version will hardly be a throwaway. It'll just be the old version. It'll still work fine and have all the features it has now, and possibly more.

So yes - there's a good chance they'll improve the TouchPad (and make a TouchPad 7, TouchPad Go, and so on) but that won't break the old one - and the new ones won't be getting your $50 deal.
    I dont own a laptop so the touchpad became that device, I have a desktop PC to cover content creation and my touchpad for consuming. Therefore the wifi version is what I need as when i'm using it i'll be in a wifi spot, if i'm not i'll just stick with angry birds :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    Clock is ticking a bit on the $50.00 rebate for us 'legacy' users. With the rebate I'm seeing a TP for right around $500.00.

Here are some of my questions:
    - Not sure if I should wait for a device that doesn't require WiFi. I can use my PRE- and freetether - but then I've got battery issues and always need that 1 extra device. Besides my PRE- is on a short life span going forward.

- Why would I NOT wait for the AT&T version with data? Some things come to mind... it IS AT&T afterall..., more expensive for the data plan.

- I've never been a great fan of pure WiFi for all my connectivity - I am not crazy about connecting to public networks and my experience is that a data plan is often less expensive than paying for multiple hotspot access

- What are general thoughts about connectivity? Use a device with built in data plans?, Use an external device - Mifi, Phone? Wifi by itself?

- I'm going to be traveling quite a bit. A TP seems like a great way to go rather than slugging around even a smaller laptop. Seeing that SplashTop is on the way alleviates lots of those issues!

- For business use I typically use my Pre- for emails/texts... would I do more on the TP instead? (though I really can't imagine carrying a TP around in my pocket!)

- It sure seems like the initial roll-out issues are being resolved, albeit it somewhat slowly... some new great apps, patches, OTA (hopeful)...

- Do you think this version of the TP is a throw-away in 6-12 months?

- Maybe the Pre3 is a better, longer term solution? Fully prepared to switch to Verizon if I have to... Longer term I can see having to have both my phone and TP on the same cell provider sharing all voice and data...
    Based on your questions I would say wait for the AT&T Touchpad which will be here sometime next month. It will have the connectivity that you need and the OTA update should already be applied. We will also be closer to the Splashtop release. You won't get the $50 off but you will get what you need based on your criteria. I don't think the Touchpad will be throw away. I think that HP is about long term support. Good luck!
    OP is very contradictive. Why contemplate over $50 when you are willing to pay for a data plan contract? If you really need to save on the rebate, then my friend, you shoud definitely stay away from att tp.
    Disregard the rebate because you are already paying around $50 cheaper than what early adopters paid for during the initial release, ie. Amazon is currently @ $551.51 no tax free shipping.
    There will never be guaranteed connectivity. What if you travel to a place with no cellular service and wifi? Would your review slam the tp? Just saying because there are stupid reviews, complaints, and returns based on factors none touchpad related. Would you feel your purchase then justified?
    As of now the att tp would be the best connectivity wise. Just remember that there's no such thing as unlimited data so be prepared to pay.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    That $551.51 Amazon price - with the $50.00 rebate - and I'm at $501.51 net. (well - add the touchpad dock!)

I've been reading the forums on the connectivity choices - seems to be a lot of success with using free-tether. Guess I can't think of when I wouldn't have both my Pre- and my TP with me at the same time - so paying for data separately on each device does seem like extra $$.

For iPhone/iPad - does Verizon/AT&T offer a data plan that is shared between devices - or does it always require separate fees for each device?

One other thought I had was that using my Pre- and FreeTether - the Touchpad may allow me to stay on Sprint much longer and my need for a Pre3 is diminished...?

Thanks for everyone's input!
    data plans are currently desperate for each device.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I've decided to hold off on purchasing a TP for now.

1) The $50.00 legacy rebate isn't reason enough as it looks like prices are continuing to fall. As new models come out I fully expect to see this model costs end up below the current netted rebate price.

2) I need to see where connectivity options are going. I'm not convinced wifi only will meet my needs. FreeTether or some other mifi device is not the solution I'm looking for. I want to be connected all the time without other hardware - just turn it on. If I'm using my pre- with freetether then I've lost my ability to take a phone call - yuk.

4) Want to see where HP is going with the entire webOS ecosystem. A replacement for my pre- needs to come first. If I buy a TP I'll still need a phone. If I have a great phone then my need for a tablet is reduced.

5) The need for a tablet in general is still for me - debatable. What will push me into a tablet is the ability to replace hauling a laptop around. Being able to run a desktop from my tablet is therefore a must.

6) I keep thinking that I'm not going to be walking around with a tablet all the time whereas my phone is always in my pocket. I don't see that changing.

7) The current TP is missing some hardware that I hope to see come with later models: This would include a separate card slot for expanding memory, a USB port, GPS, rear camera, hdmi output.

Thanks again for all the great input!
    Keep in mind the $50 HP rebate expires tomorrow. You have to buy a 32GB TP by 11:59 PM tomorrow night to qualify for it.