Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    The Touchpad needs a $100 price drop for both the 16 and 32 Gig versions. You need to compete with the iPad2, and I really don't see the average Joe paying the same price. Regardless of views on WebOS and Multi-tasking, you need to speak to the consumers pocket.

The Xoom sales went up significantly on Amazon after the price drop. A 32 Gig Zoom for $489.00 is a great deal.
    $100 price reduction... Yes!

Or as an alternative... Bundle a free Touchstone charger with every TP.

Touchstone sets the TP apart from iPad and the other tablets.

Hey, HP, use the Touchstone "freely" to bring more attention/interest to the TP!
    sorli likes this.
    Agreed.

Just bought an Acer Iconia A500 for $299 at Staples (also have a TP). The sheer number of Android tabs is going to erode prices for every tablet, including the iPad.

A cut in the wifi Touchpad price could occur as soon as the 4G model is announced.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    A smart move on HP's part but after paying $600 bucks at launch it would N#$@!! Me off.
    Eh, why not a $200 price drop? Heck, why not 50% off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Eh, why not a $200 price drop? Heck, why not 50% off?
    Exactly!! OP states what HP "needs", with nothing to back it up. Did HP meet their sales expectations at the current price point? If they missed, by how much? Does the OP know what HPs sales expectations were? For that matter, does OP even know what the sales were?

Of course not. The post was made in a vacuum, and the pricepoint issue has been beaten to death on here.

Yet folks still went out and bought them at HPs price point. Go figger.

Of course, I did get 10% off ($60), plus am getting a $50 rebate, so I've already got my $100 (+) discount.

Oh yeah, then I got another one free.
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Exactly!! OP states what HP "needs", with nothing to back it up. Did HP meet their sales expectations at the current price point? If they missed, by how much? Does the OP know what HPs sales expectations were? For that matter, does OP even know what the sales were?

Of course not. The post was made in a vacuum, and the pricepoint issue has been beaten to death on here.

Yet folks still went out and bought them at HPs price point. Go figger.

Of course, I did get 10% off ($60), plus am getting a $50 rebate, so I've already got my $100 (+) discount.

Oh yeah, then I got another one free.
    Wow...you guys have no clue.

You guys need sales figures to see that iPad2 is at the top and that people will look at the iPad2 if prices are the same?

Wow...why not raise the prices than?

At this point price is everything, the apps aren't there yet for the TP. Everyone of my friends that saw the TP loved it, but when i told them it was the same price as the iPad2, they asked me, "Why not just get an iPad2?"

You want to market this to the average Joe, then you need to speak to their wallets.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    Wow...you guys have no clue.

You guys need sales figures to see that iPad2 is at the top and that people will look at the iPad2 if prices are the same?

Wow...why not raise the prices than?

At this point price is everything, the apps aren't there yet for the TP. Everyone of my friends that saw the TP loved it, but when i told them it was the same price as the iPad2, they asked me, "Why not just get an iPad2?"

You want to market this to the average Joe, then you need to speak to their wallets.
    Well, since you must "have a clue", and enough of one to totally discount my 20 plus years in the IT field, can you answer a few pertinent things for me, to help me along with this "clue getting."

What was HP's initial reason for choosing the price point they did? See, you have to know their reason, before you can tell them they're wrong (I know, I know, your friends say they're wrong too, but your friends probably don't run many multi-billion dollar companies).

In spite of the mfg's suggested price (which is the same as the iPad), what's the actual average street price? Keep in mind, Apple doesn't allow their dealers to discount, HP does. Understand, the point is that HP has a pretty set selling standard. It's different than Apple's. HP's vendors are used to being able to run sales and discounts.

What was HP's sales goal. Did they meet that goal. See, it's important to know before telling a big company that their price structure is wrong, to know whether or not it's actually achieving their goals.

So, clue us in with some real information, not just the desires of you and your "friends" for a lower price.
    nyallj and major payne like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnolan1087 View Post
    Or as an alternative... Bundle a free Touchstone charger with every TP.
    This should have been done from day one. The TouchStone is one of the distinguishing features of this tablet and they don't even include it. They made the same mistake with the original Pre.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Rnp and JED-WEB-OS like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    W
    Many people here suggest that hp is targeting business market. I think thats wishful thinking.

There will be some numbers by end of Aug. We shall see how has hp been doing and what they gonna go from there.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I think that the original price was "ok" until -- on the day of the so-called "hard launch" --- about three other nice android tablets all undercut the TP by lowering their prices significantly. Anybody walking into a BB or Staples at that point would have been looking at an I-Pad and TP at the same price and then some pretty attracive, and less expensive , androids which, of course, all have more apps as of right now. I can't help but think that hurt sales.
    Last edited by midmofan; 07/28/2011 at 09:30 AM.
    I agree with the OP to a point. HP needs to stay competitive in a crowded market. However, if HP is making it's sales targets there is no need for a price drop. The iPad's price has not dropped even when faced with the competition. Apple is meeting or exceeding it's sales quota so why drop the price? Could be the same with HP. A price drop would also be used against HP by sending a signal that sales are weak, demand is below expectations, or the Touchpad is not a quality device when compared to the iPad. Americans for some strange reason equate price to quality even though they usually have nothing to do with each other in today's market (everything is made in China).

That being said I think HP should offer bundles with financing like they are doing for the Singapore launch. I was hoping for a back to school bundle complete with a free HP wireless printer and 1/2 off an HP care package. They also need to stress warranty and services after the sale. That is what got me to buy a Hyundai Elantra as a second car over a Ford Focus. The same things matter to folks buying any other high dollar value item.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    That being said I think HP should offer bundles with financing like they are doing for the Singapore launch. I was hoping for a back to school bundle complete with a free HP wireless printer and 1/2 off an HP care package. They also need to stress warranty and services after the sale. That is what got me to buy a Hyundai Elantra as a second car over a Ford Focus. The same things matter to folks buying any other high dollar value item.
    I agree completely. I think what some people miss though, is that if HP lowers the price now, that means they've killed the margin that allows them to offer bundles.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I think that the original price was "ok" until -- on the day of the so-called "hard launch" --- about three other nice android tablets all undercut the TP by lowering their prices significantly. Anybody walking into a BB or Staples at that point would have been looking at an I-Pad and TP at the same price and then some pretty attracive, and less expensive , androids which, of course, all have more apps as of right now. I can't help but think that hurt sales.
    I think Android tablets are competing with themselves more than anything else. If I'm in the market for an Android tablet which one should I choose? There are so many. They do mostly the same thing and have the same specs (weight and thinness are not worthy specs to most people!) so which one do I choose from? The manufacturers are forced to take other steps to move sales along. I would not get involved in their internal (as a community) price war. It's going to get messy because unlike Android cell phones, there is no other party (cellular company) setting the price point. There is no clear way for HP to win in a price war that right now has nothing directly to do with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I agree completely. I think what some people miss though, is that if HP lowers the price now, that means they've killed the margin that allows them to offer bundles.
    Well said. They also forget that HP is very experienced with this type of competition. They deal with it every day in the PC market. They know what other points (services, etc) to leverage to differentiate themselves and come out on top in a crowded market.
    This summary of the full survey is very telling:

The TouchPad would be a less known quantity but these same pricepoints still hold. Marketing 101: If you are late to market, match the specs and beat the price.

That's the theory. Here's the reality: Staples giving $100 off select tablets, what will you be buying? Stables stores are selling out of these 10 Tablets as fast as they can restock through 7/30/11.

A coupon would be great for HP because they can keep the retail price at $500 that they need for their national contracts. Consumers love coupons because the item is still a $500, they just got a deal! They will tell everyone. When you are ready just end the coupon and your price is back to $500. If you do a price drop, you can never raise the price back up.

Why is it that HP must match the iPad on price not undercut?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 07/28/2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I think the TouchPad could compete with the iPad at the same price point, if -- big if -- it had all more "basic" features up and running.These include things like having at least one app that allows editing of Office docs, having a first-class note-taking app available, being able to negotiate HTTP proxies, etc. Right now, HP is marketing what amounts to a concept car (albeit a really nice one) to consumers for a Cadillac price. When the OnStar, radio, and electric mirrors are working, it'll be a Cadillac competitor. Until then, it's incomplete.
    The smart shopper would note that they don't have to purchase the 32 GB Touchpad at full price. It is offered for $551.51 at Amazon, $548 at Outlet and DigitalEtc, and even HP was selling it at $557 earlier this week. As was pointed out earlier, you would never see discounts like this on iPads. BTW, I paid $532 for mine. And then I'll get the $50 rebate besides. The point here is that deals can be had that bring the price down considerably. For what the Touchpad does, that the iPad doesn't, if you're in the market for a tablet, then Touchpad wins in my view.

Now I do agree it would be nice to have been offered the deals that Singapore is being offered, but alas no company usually offers those kind of deals at product launch.
    Last edited by Treo Musketeers; 07/28/2011 at 02:04 PM.
    All for One and One for All!
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Well said. They also forget that HP is very experienced with this type of competition. They deal with it every day in the PC market. They know what other points (services, etc) to leverage to differentiate themselves and come out on top in a crowded market.
    Don't be so certain. HP is an expert in the PC market, but that expertise may or may not translate well to the tablet market. The HP PSG's strength is its ability to produce, market, distribute and support high volumes of commodity products. Other than being a 1+ generation design, the Touchpad should not be dinged on the basis of hardware. However, it should have been priced at a small premium to where the original iPad is, not the iPad 2. With the release of the Touchpad 4G, I expect HP will move wifi-only prices down. There is a price for being an early adopter.
    Dan Donovan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast