Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sketch42
  1.    #1  
    I just discovered that my TP and my Pre2 don't sync contacts unless I use Exchange. On my TP it says "HP webOS Account" and on my Pre2 it says "Palm Profile" I think I've always had my Exchange account as the default but I updated an address for someone on Facebook using my phone and went to look on the TP and the address wasnt' there. Investigating further, I realized that the Palm Profile was set to the default account so I changed it to Exchange but that meant I had to reenter the address. It then synced to the TP.

    I've changed both devices to use Exchange as my default profile but it begs the question - why don't the contacts sync between the TP and the phone using an HP/Palm profile?

    Is this by design? Is it because I'm using the MetaDoctor 2.1 on my phone instead of the stock 2.01?

    There's a question in the webOS sync threads asking about being able to move the Palm Profile contacts to Exchange that's a couple of weeks old with no answer or insight. If I'd entered a bunch of info on my TP expecting it to be on my phone, I would be much more put out. I guess I've never really thought about it because I've always used Exchange, but it does seem a little odd to me. If you put contact info into your HP or Palm Profile only, where does it go and can it be exported at all? And why doesn't it at least sync between Phone and TP? Did I miss this discussion?
  2. #2  
    Well, the HP webOS Account is just a renamed Palm Profile. They're the same thing, though I suspect HP upgraded the capabilities of the Account when they took over Palm to allow for multiple devices on one account. Keep in mind your Exchange account and webOS account are completely different and separate contact storage systems. When you enter a new contact into Exchange it will not show up in your webOS account. The webOS Account just knows that you have an Exchange account so that it knows to include that Exchange account into Synergy.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Well, the HP webOS Account is just a renamed Palm Profile. They're the same thing, though I suspect HP upgraded the capabilities of the Account when they took over Palm to allow for multiple devices on one account. Keep in mind your Exchange account and webOS account are completely different and separate contact storage systems. When you enter a new contact into Exchange it will not show up in your webOS account. The webOS Account just knows that you have an Exchange account so that it knows to include that Exchange account into Synergy.
    Right, but what I guess I'm asking is why the Pre2 "Palm Profile" account and the TP "HP WebOS Account" don't sync? The login is the same and I can see both when I login to the website - but they don't sync contacts between each other and I expected that they would.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Right, but what I guess I'm asking is why the Pre2 "Palm Profile" account and the TP "HP WebOS Account" don't sync? The login is the same and I can see both when I login to the website - but they don't sync contacts between each other and I expected that they would.
    now that I do not know. I would think that if you save a contact into your Pre2's Palm Profile that contact would also appear in your TouchPad's webOS Account contacts. Maybe both systems are completely separate.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, they seem to be separated, which is not what I expected. It isn't something that would have been an issue before the use of multiple devices which only really arrived with the TP - I'm just not sure if it's a bug or a feature, ya know? It seems like there should be an option to link them, at least.
  6. #6  
    You know what? Why not call the Butler Service and ask them? If it's indeed a feature that should work, they can submit a ticket to webOS Engineering.

    I've called Butler before. They're real nice and helpful. Honestly.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    If you put contact info into your HP or Palm Profile only, where does it go and can it be exported at all? And why doesn't it at least sync between Phone and TP? Did I miss this discussion?
    you can export your palm profile contacts by dialing in the phone app

    ##66623# (CDMA phones)
    Or
    *#66623# send (GSM phones)

    This will export ALL contacts on the phone into a csv file

    If you want Just the Palm Profile Contacts.. Than remove the other accounts and than use the method above.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    LordSecksie likes this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    You know what? Why not call the Butler Service and ask them? If it's indeed a feature that should work, they can submit a ticket to webOS Engineering.

    I've called Butler before. They're real nice and helpful. Honestly.
    The profiles are not supposed to constantly sync. Basically it's a one time import to the touchpad then some for of synergy is required to continue syncing between the 2 devices (google, exchange, etc.).

    I believe this is partially because 2.x + devices handle contacts differently than 1.x devices.

    If you are using a synergy service other than Palm/HP profile everything should sync back and forth just fine.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9. crabbz's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #9  
    This post from HardBeatz suggests the profile data is unfortunately not synchronized.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3015381
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    This post from HardBeatz suggests the profile data is unfortunately not synchronized.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3015381
    Doh!! Thanks for the confirmation.
  11.    #11  
    Okay, so it IS a feature. It seems like there should be an option to link the contacts, memos and calendar between two webOS devices. Just seems that way to me. It isn't really a bother since I use Exchange anyway, but I think the calendar app defaulted to my Exchange account while my contacts defaulted to the HP webOS Account. Checking defaults in Synergy is Vewy Vewy Impotant!
  12. #12  
    I use gmail for my contacts, and I put a contact on my gmail.com account and typically they sync to the pre-. This time it didnt show up until I hit sync on my pre-. But the touchpad got the contact updated. Perhaps just a bug on my pre- (same as when it wont always check for new emails, I have to go into email to make it start again).
  13. #13  
    I realized this also the hard way, and it seems very, very odd to me that the device profile account doesn't sync constantly. Having synergy is nice, but it'd be important to me to have one TRUE back up of contacts and calendar. NOT google. Wonder if the later updates will make this happen? Especially with iCloud doing this for all of a user's devices, even including photos and music, it'd be great if webOS matched that within itself instead of leaving it up to the user to set up cloud backups of different content, scattered amongst 2,3, or more services.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I use gmail for my contacts, and I put a contact on my gmail.com account and typically they sync to the pre-. This time it didnt show up until I hit sync on my pre-. But the touchpad got the contact updated. Perhaps just a bug on my pre- (same as when it wont always check for new emails, I have to go into email to make it start again).
    I think this is because the devices don't constantly pull down from the cloud for calendar and contacts (this would kill battery life). This is why you have to "sync" those. My guess is the phone is set to check for changes in the cloud either once every 12 or 24 hours (would hedge my bets on 24 hours, just like the profile backup app).

    So when you make a change on the TP or computer or other device you won't see the change til the next day. I can verify these items do auto sync though, because when I was carrying both the Pre and Veer using the same google calendar login I would get 2 notifications a day (3 once I setup the touchpad). Just don't expect instant sync on contacts or calendar without forcing the sync.




    To add, IIRC, when I was using both phones if I changed an event the day of it wouldn't change on the other device, but by the next day it would be setup again. I added a calendar event this morning on the Veer (for today), will see if it's on the TP when I get home to get a better idea.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I realized this also the hard way, and it seems very, very odd to me that the device profile account doesn't sync constantly. Having synergy is nice, but it'd be important to me to have one TRUE back up of contacts and calendar. NOT google. Wonder if the later updates will make this happen? Especially with iCloud doing this for all of a user's devices, even including photos and music, it'd be great if webOS matched that within itself instead of leaving it up to the user to set up cloud backups of different content, scattered amongst 2,3, or more services.
    I'm with you on this!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    you can export your palm profile contacts by dialing in the phone app

    ##66623# (CDMA phones)
    Or
    *#66623# send (GSM phones)

    This will export ALL contacts on the phone into a csv file

    If you want Just the Palm Profile Contacts.. Than remove the other accounts and than use the method above.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Awesome! Never heard of this. Trying now.


    My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

    Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
  17. #17  
    Constant syncing would murder battery life. Then you've got data rate and lack of data, etc.

    I think some folks are expecting too much on this one.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Constant syncing would murder battery life. Then you've got data rate and lack of data, etc.

    I think some folks are expecting too much on this one.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    What I was thinking is that at least the two backups could sync so that when the daily backup occurs it could also check for changes (from another device) in contact, calendar, and memos. You could be right but about battery life but I'm a big fan of options.
  19. #19  
    well if you are using palm profile, no way for HP to ensure both devices can sync at the same time. Palm/HP profile isnt built for this at this time, google/exchange/etc is.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20. #20  
    If heard from folks at (then Palm, now) HP that there are plans to expand capabilities of the Profile. This specific feature wasn't mentioned, but I'm sure they're looking at it.

    On the other hand, I don't care. I keep all of my contact information in the cloud.

Posting Permissions