Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdlyall
  1.    #1  
    I've recently acquired a 32GB Touchpad in the UK. It's got its flaws, but I'm quite happy with the device. I'm also a bit of a Microsoft junkie (for better or for worse), and I was quite pleased to see Bing maps on device. But google search. Which is quite quizzical.

The long and the short of this is how on earth do I get Bing search on device? I've done a bit of research and it seems happy to present me with OpenSearch compatible engines when detected, but irritatingly, whilst there is an OpenSearch descriptor available for Bing, it doesn't utilise the autodiscovery feature. So the Touchpad never sees it.

Any way around this? I've tried opening an OSDX file on device (no dice, wrong MIME type), and I'd really like to get this sorted out as it's just one little niggle that's getting to me.

Thanks!
    See my "How do I..? thread form my signature. Then search for "engine" on the page.
  3.    #3  
    Thats exceedingly helpful, problem solved, thank you very much!

I did do a search and have a look around before asking, honest guv.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajstockdale View Post
    Thats exceedingly helpful, problem solved, thank you very much!

I did do a search and have a look around before asking, honest guv.
    You're welcome. I also did a search for it, but found nothing. I just happened to run across that OpenSearch thread somehow...and lo and behold it worked perfectly.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    This was #11 in my "10 most chocking items" list.

Quote Originally Posted by ajstockdale View Post
    I've recently acquired a 32GB Touchpad in the UK. It's got its flaws, but I'm quite happy with the device. I'm also a bit of a Microsoft junkie (for better or for worse), and I was quite pleased to see Bing maps on device. But google search. Which is quite quizzical.

The long and the short of this is how on earth do I get Bing search on device? I've done a bit of research and it seems happy to present me with OpenSearch compatible engines when detected, but irritatingly, whilst there is an OpenSearch descriptor available for Bing, it doesn't utilise the autodiscovery feature. So the Touchpad never sees it.

Any way around this? I've tried opening an OSDX file on device (no dice, wrong MIME type), and I'd really like to get this sorted out as it's just one little niggle that's getting to me.

Thanks!
    Thank you very much. I just got Bing added to my search engines and made the default.
    speedtouch likes this.