webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Simple steps to install WebOSQuickInstaller / Preware on TouchPad.
Simple steps to install WebOSQuickInstaller / Preware on TouchPad.
Like Tree42Likes

Old 07/27/2011, 05:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Simple Steps Guide to install WOSQI / Preware on TouchPad

Since there seems to be a bit of confusion by new users and to prevent this from occuring, on my part in the future, I am deferring to the following sources for the installation of WebOSQuickInstall (WOSQI) and Preware:

[Click Here].. 99˘.. "WOSQI Homebrew Guide" by Jason Robitaille
.........................99˘.. "Preware Homebrew Documentation" by Rod Whitby

........................... Has this helped you?... Just Click ."Thanks!" .button below..V

Last edited by JCPDX; 09/17/2011 at 03:28 PM.
JCPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by D0lphin, toaste, TheDewWorm and 15 others like this.
Old 07/27/2011, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

As a complete beginner to all of this - you could be speaking Greek!! (were you?). What will this do? Will it break my TP? Will I still get any OTA (i've picked up on this terminology - it's a start) updates that are pushed out? Obviously, I would like to learn much more ...... reassurance needed!
Old 07/27/2011, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Installing webOS Quick Installer will give you access to homebrew applications, patches and themes. These apps and patches are outside the HP app catalog. The webOS platform differs from the other mobile platforms in that HP/Palm acknowledges the work of the homebrew developers and has provided support to them.

You may want to consider installing PreWare as your first HB app.

Check out the Homebrew forums to get an idea of what is available:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-themes/

Many members have used homebrew and have not had problems. If you don't like the way a homebrew app or patch performs, just remove it. In the past, HP/PALM has cooperated with the homebrew developers so that they can update their apps and patches with there is an OS update. I have not reason to believe that cooperation will not continue.

Here is another thread about homebrow on the Touchpad with advice from some of the homebrew wizards:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3044291

Last edited by bevcraw; 07/27/2011 at 08:00 AM.
bevcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by berdinkerdickle, TheDewWorm and HelloNNNewman like this.
Old 07/27/2011, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Preware opens up a world of possibilities, from small little tweaks,like changing the launcher background to be semi transparent all the way to installing Linux or upgrading the speed of the processor. I started small and now find it essential. Almost everything is free but donations are highly encouraged. It is truly one of the great things about webOS.

BTW, one thing I found that I needed to know to get webOS Quick Install running was that I couldn't launch it just by double clicking - some glitch in my java installation, I guess. I needed to create a shortcut that included "java -jar C:\directory where webOSQuickInstall is\webosquickinstall-4.2.3.jar".
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by JCPDX, kingmobuk1
Old 08/02/2011, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

- FYI - Preware and Downloads

With the new update of webOS 3.0.2 some apps/patches from webOS 3.0.0 may not be available in the feed for downloading or are in the process of being updated by Developers. They will come back once tweaks and testing have been completed.

Just keep this in mind that it could take up to 24hrs+ for WebOS-Internals to complete the transition of placing them back online.

Last edited by JCPDX; 09/05/2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08/02/2011, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

JCPDX--on Step 4, when I connect the USB, my options are "Connect" & "Close" vs Cancel. Not a big deal, as I left that part open, but when I went to my computer to hit OK where it said "there ware no devices currently connected...", that screen would continue to come up when I hit ok and not find the TouchPad.

What it amounts to for me, I get through step 4, but when I try to do step 5, it still says no device is connected, not giving me access to Preware.

Good, simple instructions, but I still need help!
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2011, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
JCPDX--on Step 4, when I connect the USB, my options are "Connect" & "Close" vs Cancel. Not a big deal, as I left that part open, but when I went to my computer to hit OK where it said "there ware no devices currently connected...", that screen would continue to come up when I hit ok and not find the TouchPad.
What it amounts to for me, I get through step 4, but when I try to do step 5, it still says no device is connected, not giving me access to Preware.
Good, simple instructions, but I still need help!
. Try this - Using Steps in Post # 1
  • Disconnect the TouchPad from the PC. "Shut Down" TouchPad, restart, and redo Step # 3
  • On the PC instead of "OK" Click on "Reinstall Novacom". After it re-installs Click "Cancel" exit out and "Reboot" PC. After rebooting into Desktop do a restart of webOSQuickInstall (WOSQI). You should again get an error message box showing that no device is connected to webOS. Just leave message box up on the screen.
  • On the unattached TouchPad redo Step # 4. ** making sure Developer Mode is "ON" (w/blue button showing) + Do Not Click on either USB or Cancel.
  • Now retry Step # 5

It would also help to know what OS / Version - Win7, Vista, Mac ?? you are running on the PC ...

Last edited by JCPDX; 09/05/2011 at 09:22 PM.
Thanked By: MeekMark
Old 08/02/2011, 06:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPDX View Post
- Disconnect the TouchPad from the PC. "Shut Down" TouchPad, restart, and redo step # 2
- On the PC instead of "OK" Click on "Reinstall Novacom". After it re-installs Click "Cancel" exit out and reboot PC. After reboot redo step # 3.
- On the unattached TouchPad redo step # 4 ** make sure Developer Mode is "ON" (w/blue button showing)
- Now retry Step # 5
It would also help to know what OS / Version - vista, Win7 ? your are running on PC ...

-
Thanks, JCPDX--I will have to try it tomorrow. I started the process about 30 minutes prior to needing to run for the airport. Will get back home tomorrow night. After I sent the message, I realized I hadn't told you what system I was using--it is an iMac running Lion.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sundal31
Old 08/03/2011, 05:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

I really appreciate the easy-to-follow instructions. Just a minor point that the file name is "WebOSQuickInstall 4.2.x.jar" not "WebOSQuickInstaller 4.2.x.jar". Also might be worth adding a link to this thread that has the most current version and release history : http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2850874

Thanks again.
groovydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: JCPDX
Old 08/03/2011, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovydad View Post
I really appreciate the easy-to-follow instructions. Just a minor point that the file name is "WebOSQuickInstall 4.2.x.jar" not "WebOSQuickInstaller 4.2.x.jar". Also might be worth adding a link to this thread that has the most current version and release history : http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2850874

Thanks again.
groovydad - I also appreciated receiving your feedback. Have added your suggested edits.

Thanks

Last edited by JCPDX; 08/25/2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08/03/2011, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
Thanks, JCPDX--I will have to try it tomorrow. I started the process about 30 minutes prior to needing to run for the airport. Will get back home tomorrow night. After I sent the message, I realized I hadn't told you what system I was using--it is an iMac running Lion.
There seems to be an issue with WOSQI - Novacomd driver and iMac running OS Lion which prevents installation of Preware.
Read through these two recent Threads for further info:

Thread # 1 - PreCentral Forums

Thread # 2 - PreCentral Forums

IMO suggest using a different computer/OS since you only need to install Preware once on TouchPad.

Last edited by JCPDX; 08/25/2011 at 11:41 AM.
Thanked By: Mike5
Old 08/03/2011, 05:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

the easiest way is
enable developer mode.
then download preware installer from get.preware.org on your PC.
run installer while TP is connected to PC.
Vualla

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
Put your device in Developer mode.
From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
Vualla Preware is installed.]
demetry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2011, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
the easiest way is
enable developer mode.
then download preware installer from get.preware.org on your PC.
run installer while TP is connected to PC.
Vualla
That is true and thanks for the feedback.
After installing Preware on quite a few TouchPads for my Clients (PCs w/multi-OS formats) I prefer doing the WOSQI install without the TouchPad being attached to isolate any issues that may come up only on the PC.
Just recently on one PC running Vista 64 had an APPCRASH conflict between Novacomd and Apple's Bonjour which had nothing to do with the TouchPad. With the TouchPad not being connected was able to quickly isolate and fix the issue on just the PC.

My goal in providing this step by step info is primarily for those new users of the TouchPad, webOS, and Homebrew...

........................... Has this helped you?... Just Click ."Thanks!" .button below..V

Last edited by JCPDX; 09/17/2011 at 03:35 PM.
Liked by eq24 likes this.
Thanked By: michaelallen
Old 08/03/2011, 10:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

windows 7 ultimate x64
Webos 3.0.2

When I open WQI,still can't find device.

Have tried reinstall,universalnovacominstaller,reboot touchpadBut on windows it's showing webos device.
crispwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by alexei2001 likes this.
Old 08/04/2011, 12:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Tried on Mac OS X Lion...almost same issue..can't find device

Anybody can share how to check if novacom service is started? I can't see any similar name in services on Windows or any process on OS X.
Old 08/04/2011, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispwolf View Post
Tried on Mac OS X Lion...almost same issue..can't find device

Anybody can share how to check if novacom service is started? I can't see any similar name in services on Windows or any process on OS X.
There seems to be an issue/conflict with WOSQI - Novacomd driver and Mac running OS Lion which prevents installation of Preware. Take a look at these two recent Threads for further info:

Thread # 1 - PreCentral Forums

Thread # 2 - PreCentral Forums

Suggest using your other PC w/Win7 Ultimate 64 in your post #14
Still need to address the issues you are having with that one.

Last edited by JCPDX; 08/25/2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08/04/2011, 04:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispwolf View Post

- In Services [ Run: services.msc ] look for 'Palm Novacom' and check Service status to see that it has "Started".
- Check Computer Properties and in Device Manager look for 'Palm Novacom Modules\Palm Novacom'
- Also in Device Manager when the TouchPad is connected it comes up as Portable Devices\webOS-device

Last edited by JCPDX; 08/27/2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08/04/2011, 04:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

If I remember correctly, there is no current Novacom driver for Lion. I also read somewhere that they did just release a driver to the early access feed that should correct this.
joe57x is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: JCPDX
Old 08/04/2011, 10:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Works on my Winxp machine...really easy..should have done that earlier..Thanks for your help.
Liked by alexei2001 likes this.
Old 08/05/2011, 09:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

hi,

installed preware, but it seems that it doesn´t differentiate touchpad and pre.
so i get offered a lot, but all is for the pre, nothing for the tp.
is there a way to get the stuff seperated?
khe05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0