Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    is it really necessary to do full erase?

I got mine updated already and I wanna try this preware but I've loaded some apps on my TP already.

I really don't mind but would be nice if I don't have to.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by medbuyer View Post
    is it really necessary to do full erase?
    Why do you find it necessary to run a 'Full Erase' ??
    Need a bit more info from you - OS on PC is XP, WIN7, MAC? Password in Dev Mode? etc...
    I got mine updated already and I wanna try this preware but I've loaded some apps on my TP already.
    I really don't mind but would be nice if I don't have to.
    . Installing Preware on TouchPad does not required you to run a 'Full Erase'.
    Also, without a very good reason you really don't have to run a 'Full Erase' ...

. So I can fill in the blanks on my end... send a bit more of that additional info...
    Last edited by JCPDX; 09/01/2011 at 11:04 AM.
    first timer and I have not waverer and I THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... THIS THING IS SMOKING. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HARD WORK.

donating to the home brew. Thank you so much. I love my tablet!!!
    JCPDX likes this.
  4.    #104  
    - FYI - Newly installed webOS Quick Install (WOSQI) - FAILS - to recognize the TouchPad

. Try this - Using Steps in Post # 1..

• Disconnect the TouchPad from the PC. "Shut Down" TouchPad, restart, and redo Step # 3
    • On the PC instead of "OK" Click on "Reinstall Novacom". After it re-installs Click "Cancel" exit out and "Reboot" PC. After rebooting into Desktop do a restart of webOSQuickInstall (WOSQI). You should again get an error message box showing that no device is connected to webOS. Just leave message box up on the screen.
    • On the unattached TouchPad redo Step # 4. ** making sure Developer Mode is "ON" (w/blue button showing) + Do Not Click on either USB or Cancel.
    • Now retry Step # 5

........................... Has this helped you?... Just Click ."Thanks!" .button below..V
    Last edited by JCPDX; 09/17/2011 at 03:30 PM.
    ........JC.........

After days of trying to get webOS to run I'm ready to drive to the Golden Gate Bridge and jump. I have win7 64 bit and I'm convinced it doesn't know what to do with a .jar file. My associate a file type doesn't list .jar and I've downloaded and ran jarfix to hopefully overcome the fact that .jar is missing from the list. In desperation I downloaded webOS Dr. and it didn't run although when I called HP support they advised there is a glitch with webOS Dr. running on a touchpad.

Here are is my questions

1.) I extracted webOS and Novacom into separate folders on my desktop, is that what I should have done?

2.) or since my PC doesn't know what to do with .jar should they have extracted to a "special place" or as a program?

FYI I've downloaded the latest Java jre7, jdk7, default jar, jad and jarfix. And I use developer mode on the touchpad and tried all 3 of my USBs and rebooted multiple time both touchpad and PC.
    Last edited by marinjim; 09/01/2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: additional info added
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjim View Post
    After days of trying to get webOS to run I'm ready to drive to the Golden Gate Bridge and jump.
    My advice before you jump... . Give away that TouchPad to a webOS user!!
    I have win7 64 bit and I'm convinced it doesn't know what to do with a .jar file.
    The install of 'WOSQI' on Win7 is usually a "slam dunk"... that being said try this in "non-panic" mode:
    1. The .jar file runs using the 'Java' installed on your Win7 system.
    Be sure you have Java with latest version installed in Win7. If it is not installed [Get Java Here]
    Important: Need to cleanup with an uninstall any older than 1.6 Java versions that are still running.
    Try looking at the Java console [in control panel] and see if there is more than one version installed. Click on Java Tab / Runtime Environment Settings / View... button section of the console.
    2. Next 'Reboot' your PC. After restart into Desktop check your 'AntiVirus/Firewall' and temp disable.
    Now start with step [ 1 ] in Post #1
    . Give that a try and always "REBOOT" after any installs/uninstalls on the PC or TouchPad...
    Last edited by JCPDX; 09/20/2011 at 01:13 PM.
    How long should it take to install preware? I have had my touchpad connected now for 20 mins.
    Thanks
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
    How long should it take to install preware? I have had my touchpad connected now for 20 mins.
    Thanks
    . Should take under 10 seconds... go ahead and stop process on both with reboots, then after that check to see if Preware did install on TouchPad...
    Last edited by JCPDX; 09/01/2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCPDX View Post
    My advice before you jump... . Give away that TouchPad to a webOS user!!

The install of 'WOSQI' on Win7 is usually a "slam dunk"... that being said try this in "non-panic" mode:
    1. The .jar file runs using the 'Java' installed on your Win7 system.
    Be sure you have Java with latest version installed in Win7. If it is not installed [Get Java Here]
    Important: Need to cleanup with an uninstall any older than 1.6 Java versions that are still running.
    Try looking at the Java console [in control panel] and see if there is more than one version installed. Click on Java Tab / Runtime Environment Settings / View... button section of the console.
    2. Next 'Reboot' your PC. After restart into Desktop check your 'AntiVirus/Firewall' and temp disable.
    Now start with step [ 1 ] in Post #1
    . Give that a try and always "REBOOT" after any installs/uninstalls on the PC or TouchPad...
    Went to JAVA control panel and saw 1.7 and 1.6 (unclicked 1.6) thought it better to just remove 1.6 via add/remove programs. Also ran ccleaner and Advanced System Care. Rebooted both Tpad and PC and temp stopped virus protection, no luck. Went back to page one (Simple steps) and went through each step, no luck.

Just put keys in pocket but before I pull away for the bridge & thought I'd ask again what I'm doing wrong........
    Last edited by marinjim; 09/01/2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: more info added
  10.    #110  
    Just put keys in pocket but before I pull away for the bridge & thought I'd ask again what I'm doing wrong........
    . I will try to get you out of that "insanity" mode....

OK. What exactly happen when you double clickd or better still right click then 'open' the newly downloaded WebOSQuickInstall v4.2.3.jar file? Any errors, etc...
    Last edited by JCPDX; 09/01/2011 at 04:54 PM.
    marinjim likes this.
    1st of all thanks for your patience, I deleted previous downloads of webOS QI and downloaded again. When I double click or right click I get an "open with" window and the 3 logical choices are Java (TM) Platform SE binary, 2 different one are listed Sun or Oracle, the other possible is Java(TM) Web Start Launcher. Previously there were no Java options for opening so I used WinRAR with the thought it was a file to be extracted.

So which one do I chose my new best friend?
  12.    #112  
    1st of all thanks for your patience, I deleted previous downloads of webOS QI and downloaded again. When I double click or right click I get an "open with" window and the 3 logical choices are Java (TM) Platform SE binary.............
    !! You my friend are in with the unlucky few that has 'Java', as it is configured on your Win7 PC, not cooperating or easily opening the .jar file

. Let's try another method which can install 'WOSQI' by running Java from the command (cmd) line:
    by typing.. java -jar C:\Folder's name where webOSQuickInstall is in\webosquickinstall 4.2.3.jar
    Then Click enter key.

Edit: Side Note - Correct Choice (Normally) Java (TM) Platform SE binary / Sun Technologies

Give either one a try and let me know results...
    Last edited by JCPDX; 09/02/2011 at 09:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCPDX View Post
    !! You my friend are in with the unlucky few that has 'Java', as it is configured on your Win7 PC, not cooperating or easily opening the .jar file

. Let's try another method which can install 'WOSQI' by running Java from the command (cmd) line:
    by typing.. java -jar C:\Folder's name where webOSQuickInstall is in\webosquickinstall 4.2.3.jar
    Then Click enter key.

Edit: Side Note - Correct Choice (Normally) Java (TM) Platform SE binary / Sun Technologies

Give either one a try and let me know results...
    MANY thanks for your clear instructions, tried the Java (TM) Platform SE binary / Sun and it didn't work but the CMD java -jar C:\Users\Jim\Downloads\WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar worked like a charm. It appears that each time I want to run webOS I'll need to run it from CMD.

Please correct me if I'm wrong although I haven't tried rebooting to see if the PC now recognizes and auto starts webOS?
    I have a bit of a unique problem... I have successfully installed Preware on my TP, but when I go in, it says there are no available applications, no matter how many times I update the feeds... why would that be? Any thoughts?
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertical View Post
    I have a bit of a unique problem... I have successfully installed Preware on my TP, but when I go in, it says there are no available applications, no matter how many times I update the feeds... why would that be? Any thoughts?
    What is the version of Preware installed on the TouchPad? Start up Preware and look in the upper left corner. It should be ver 1.7.0

. You should have the following versions installed AND running:
    • Update TP with new OTA to webOS 3.0.2. 68
    • WebOSQuickInstall v4.2.3
    • Use Preware version 1.7.0

Last edited by JCPDX; 09/05/2011 at 09:13 PM.
  16.    #116  
    Went to JAVA control panel and saw 1.7 and 1.6 (unclicked 1.6) thought it better to just remove 1.6 via add/remove programs.
    In re-checking Post #110 - The latest installed version of JAVA should be 1.6 not 1.7 ?? .
    MANY thanks for your clear instructions, tried the Java (TM) Platform SE binary / Sun and it didn't work but the CMD java -jar C:\Users\Jim\Downloads\WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar worked like a charm. It appears that each time I want to run webOS I'll need to run it from CMD.
    This is true until there is a cleanup of existing JAVA installation issues... then you would just double click on WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar file.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong although I haven't tried rebooting to see if the PC now recognizes and auto starts webOS?
    . It is normal to manually start 'WebOS Quick Install' (WOSQI) program. It has no 'auto start' feature or starting of webOS...
    Last edited by JCPDX; 09/04/2011 at 11:28 AM.
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by hpuser5 View Post
    . OK! Sure let's start with a 'Do Over' by doing a cleanup of any previous partial installs:

Cleanup JAVA by thoroughly reading in this Thread - Post # 107
    Next Uninstall WOSQI
    Also check in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs - Uninstall if found 'novacomd'

Important:. After doing above, 'Reboot' your PC. Next after restart into Desktop check and temp disable your 'AntiVirus/Firewall'.... Now start with step [ 1 ] in Post #1

Give that a try and be sure to "REBOOT" after any installs/uninstalls on the PC or TouchPad.

. Let me know if that worked for you...

........................... Has this helped you?... Just Click ."Thanks!" .button below..V
    Last edited by JCPDX; 09/08/2011 at 10:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i seem to be having trouble. i followed the directions here and in the 'get started' guide but so far no luck.

basically, my touchpad is fully updated, i can get preware installed on it, but everything is greyed out except installed packages and list of everything. other things like "package updates" and "available patches" is inaccessible (greyed)
    I have preware on my Touchpad, but I was trying to help a friend install it on his and I can't get it to go into developer mode. I followed the correct procedure, but the developer mode icon doesn't show up after I type webos20090606 into just type. Any suggestions?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast