Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just received my third Touchpad today from Amazon and it now seems evident that all Touchpads have some sort of backlight bleed when the screen color is black, particularly during bootup. In fact it seems evident that the majority of Touchpads have some sort of build fault.

The first unit I received had a bit of bleeding on the upper left hand side when held in portrait mode, to which I was sent a replacement for. Upon receiving the replacement it too had some backlight bleed in the same spots but seemingly less than the first, however I ended up returning this one for having a loose volume switch which rattled every time I picked up the device.

Today I received my third Touchpad from amazon and you guessed it: backlight bleed in the top left area of the device during portrait mode (bottom left during landscape mode). It is roughly the same amount of bleed as the first one which is of course not a ridiculous amount but nevertheless it irks me. The device should be BLACK during bootup, not black with a little cloudiness seeping out through the edges. For better or worse tho I'll probly end up keeping the first one since the third one's display is not fused as evenly against the bezel as the other two, making the first one the 'lesser of three evils'.

I am rather disappointed with the build quality of the Touchpad. Each time I requested a replacement from Amazon, I waited with baited breath for one with optimal manufacturing. This never happened. I'm back to the first one, which I would've never ever suspected after eventually receiving not one but two replacements. I guess there really is no perfect Touchpad. I'm hoping that the upcoming OTA updates make me forget about these manufacturing defects as they seek to address the various software defects.
    really, during boot up? Seriously?

someone convinced you to punk the forums, right?

this is like saying the light in my refrigerator remains on for an extra nano-second after i've closed the door and can't see it anyway.
  3.    #3  
    no, not punking the forums. I forgot to state it is also somewhat visible during just about any black screen.. Pre app emulator mode comes to mind.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I'm on TP #2 and it is much better than #1. It still feels a little creaky but I am going to keep this one in fear of going backwards. As stated 1000 times on this forum it would feel much more solid with higher quality case materials.
    If I pay 600 for a device I expect a perfect screen too. You might be the crazy one cantaffordit

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    I just received my third Touchpad today from Amazon and it now seems evident that all Touchpads have some sort of backlight bleed when the screen color is black, particularly during bootup. In fact it seems evident that the majority of Touchpads have some sort of build fault.

The first unit I received had a bit of bleeding on the upper left hand side when held in portrait mode, to which I was sent a replacement for. Upon receiving the replacement it too had some backlight bleed in the same spots but seemingly less than the first, however I ended up returning this one for having a loose volume switch which rattled every time I picked up the device.

Today I received my third Touchpad from amazon and you guessed it: backlight bleed in the top left area of the device during portrait mode (bottom left during landscape mode). It is roughly the same amount of bleed as the first one which is of course not a ridiculous amount but nevertheless it irks me. The device should be BLACK during bootup, not black with a little cloudiness seeping out through the edges. For better or worse tho I'll probly end up keeping the first one since the third one's display is not fused as evenly against the bezel as the other two, making the first one the 'lesser of three evils'.

I am rather disappointed with the build quality of the Touchpad. Each time I requested a replacement from Amazon, I waited with baited breath for one with optimal manufacturing. This never happened. I'm back to the first one, which I would've never ever suspected after eventually receiving not one but two replacements. I guess there really is no perfect Touchpad. I'm hoping that the upcoming OTA updates make me forget about these manufacturing defects as they seek to address the various software defects.
    bated breath
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    bated breath
    you know, I spelt it like that originally and then changed it. true story.

anyway, I'd really feel like a fool if I sent back the third one so I'm just going to stick with my plan of keeping the first one, or the 'least bad' of the bunch. since three of three touchpads had a bit of backlight bleed I'm not at all convinced that this issue is unique to me anyway. Who knows, maybe I'm just looking for issues.

still curious to know if anyone else has the backlight thing though.
    Last edited by jetsetter883; 07/26/2011 at 11:18 PM.
    I'm thinking of sending mine back for a replacement because the center button is too noisy when I use it to get back to card mode. It irks me.
    kill_dano likes this.
    funny I have no problem with the build quality of the TP. Most people have that in their heads because the reviewers intially said so (same as when the original pre was stated to cut you when it was slid out). Bottom line is its a device, and I assure you having the ipad 2 first for a few weeks it not only had bleed spots when the device background was black, but it the screen and the core was seperating at the home button, and also had light that bled out the sides of it as well (I also had got one replaced with the same effect). What I'm saying is every device has its across the board issues, but to me if its not something thats mind blowing then it should not be blown out of proportion.
    kill_dano likes this.
    Does it bleed light when you watch videos that are letter boxed? That's is what I would find most annoying.
    post some video and poictures of this infamous light bleeding. i have not had a single problem with mine.
    Yup, I actually ended up returning my first TouchPad because the screen seemed to be a bit loose and wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that. Looks like it is supposed to because the next one did to but I noticed that it had backlight bleeding on it so I had them get another one and it was the same. I won't have taken back the first one because it didn't have any problem with it at all, just wasn't sure if it was defected. The Pre series has kinda made me a little defect aphobic :-P
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  13.    #13  
    I'm pretty convinced all touchpads have this, and some users just havent seen it yet since it is unnoticeable about 97% of the time. If you squeeze the top left hand area close to the corner while in portrait mode during bootup (HP logo) you will more than likely see some light bleed out. I'll try and get a pic up tomorrow. It is actually quite subtle but if you are looking for it you can see it.
    I stopped hunting for light bleed defects and mm-level panel flex when I noticed these defects on my iPhone, the market leader, back in the day. "If you squeeze the corner during bootup..." Really? Come on. You need a precision-engineered hand-made tablet, it seems.
    Cyberiian and nyallj like this.
    I checked my TouchPad during boot up and there was not any light bleed. If it only occurs during boot up what is the problem? OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD
    Hi guys! Long time lurker here, finally signed up because I came across this thread. I love my Touchpad and I haven't any had any crack, sound, or freezing issues some others here are experiencing *knock on wood*. However, I do have the back-light bleed issue in landscape mode near the bottom on the left side as jetsetter mentioned. It doesn't bug me because it's very faint, but I did notice it while watching a widescreen movie last night. Just wanted to chime in that he's not the only one. Either way, I love my Touchpad and won't be returning it simply because not every tabled released to consumers is always perfect, especially right after launch .
    Last edited by OCTINY; 07/27/2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: ninja edit!
    If you hold your Touchpad, screen facing down and throw it on the cement, you will find that the screen could crack. I am on my 3rd one because of this. This is just poor build quality.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    really, during boot up? Seriously?

someone convinced you to punk the forums, right?

this is like saying the light in my refrigerator remains on for an extra nano-second after i've closed the door and can't see it anyway.
    What are you talking about? If I buy a tablet, I expect it to be perfect with no bleeding or other crap described into OP. Not everyone has your low standards.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    laoh likes this.
    This is a Problem with all IPS screens...Ipad had it, Ipad2 had it, Asus Transformer had it...Now Touchpad. It isnt really noticeable except on boot or really dark pictures. I think its because the bezel that holds the screen in place isn't perfectly fit for the ips screens so small amount of light poke through.
    octiny and etx like this.
    I love how people are defending a product that just might have some legitimate issues with it. People shouldn't be ridiculed for posting about it and this behavior should actually be encouraged as it has the potential to bring these issues to HP's attention. A perfect example of this would be the issue with the plastic breaking around the headphone port and speaker ports.

As for me, I bought two touchpads and upon boot-up, I noticed that one had more severe bleeding, was dimmer overall, and software would lag more often. I returned that one but its replacement has bleeding as well, is still dimmer, but overall I find it to be a keeper instead of getting yet another replacement. Oh and I just found out that the original one that was in overall good condition has that plastic piece around one of the speaker completely detached from the case. Now HP wants to replace it with a refurbished one even though I haven't owned it for a complete month. Both touchpads were in stock cases since received, never dropped or abused in any manner, and the one with the broken piece of plastic has never even been out of the house yet.

My friends and family come to me when they want to purchase any electronics and as of yet, I honestly can't recommend the touchpad in its current state. I can deal with the issues that comes with WebOS but I know most people expect their products to work with minimal issues and hopefully with the update, I can recommend this tablet to people.

Having said that, I had an ipad 2 for about 2 weeks and I used it each and every day. It ran like butter and everything work like it should. Yet, I was able to crash it three times, it had its moments of lag, but the biggest reason why I almost throw it against the wall, was the complete lack of hassle free multitasking. I bought a tablet that can almost replace my need for a laptop and the touchpad is currently the only one that fits the bill for me.

I really hope that update lands sooner than later and with it the stability and smoothness that will allow me in good conscious to recommend this tablet over all the others out there today.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast