Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By speedtouch
  • 1 Post By rsanchez1
  1.    #1  
    For an OS named webOS, it seems that optimization of the browser was just not something HP was interested in:

don't code today what you can't debug tomorrow: tablets and web performance

Of the iPad, Playbook, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Touchpad, the Touchpad had the worst performance. I wonder how this will change with the next OTA update (I don't expect it will change very much).
    Interestingly enough, the article says the touchpad tested was running 3.0.2 build 60
    See the comments of that article. I asked him how he got 3.0.2 and he said it was from an update. Apparently his TP asked him if he wanted to update to 3.0.2 a few days ago. He's in Germany, I wonder if that matters.
    horseybob likes this.
    i'm not surprised by the findings. we have a touchpad and an ipad 1 here at home. my wife almost always goes for the ipad when browsing around. she says that my touchpad is noticeably slower than the ipad...which i agree with. it's definitely slower rendering pages. the only time she uses my touchpad is when she's viewing a web site that's got flash contents . i just hope that that gets optimized at some point. to be honest though, the pages loads fast enough for me. i'm more interested in getting sharper fonts when zooming in and out...in the browser, acrobat reader, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    See the comments of that article. I asked him how he got 3.0.2 and he said it was from an update. Apparently his TP asked him if he wanted to update to 3.0.2 a few days ago. He's in Germany, I wonder if that matters.
    My guess from this is that the reviewers got 3.0.2 a few days ago; we should get some reviews soon.
    Too bad about the browser speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    My guess from this is that the reviewers got 3.0.2 a few days ago; we should get some reviews soon.
    Too bad about the browser speed.
    Well, the German fellow at that blog said he has a "normal" TouchPad. He didn't say what he meant by normal, but I am guessing it means he got it through a normal retail channel? I don't know. But the unique thing is that the TP asked him if he wanted to update...it didn't come with the update already loaded.
  7.    #7  
    I don't think they are shipping with the update yet, otherwise everyone would have gotten them already. Maybe HP is doing a phased roll-out of 3.0.2, and it hasn't hit the US yet. They're seeing if users in smaller markets find any issues first. I would see if the build number for US Touchpads with 3.0.2 is different than the one he posted.
    finngirl likes this.
    OK, now this is weird. I commented some more on that fellow's blog. He asked me to run the DOM test myself since I have webOS 3.0.0 and he has 3.0.2. He wanted to compare our scores. Fair enough, I wanted to see if the scores changed as well. So I ran the full DOM test and my result was 88.11 runs/s. Whatever that means. It's 4 points higher than his, so I went about explaining why that is probably the case. I explained I had installed the speed patches for the TouchPad, the ones that disable a lot of logging.

In a previous comment on his blog I surmised that since he's in Germany, perhaps HP is rolling out the 3.0.2 update there first. But he says he got the update *days* ago. In one of his replies to me he said he's in the US, not Germany. I reply back and ask where exactly he got his TouchPad, Best Buy, Walmart, some online website? I said it was really strange that he's the only person I know of that has webOS 3.0.2 in the whole world.

Then what happens? Poof! All comments regarding the 3.0.2 version, my test results, his claim to being in the US, my questions on where he got his TouchPad, and that fact that he's the only person in the world to have 3.0.2 (other than HP engineers and some testers, of course) is him, disappeared! Not only did he delete all those comments, he also locked down the comment system to not allow anonymous comments. And on top of that, he instituted comment moderation on comments that come from Google accounts or OpenID accounts. What in the world is going on there?

Edit: Oh, and he also changed the wording of his blog post from webOS 3.0.2 to webOS 3.0. Why is he erasing anything and everything to do with webOS 3.0.2?
    Holy crap. He just updated the page again. Now the TP has a score of 93 compared to the 84 it used to have.
    Maybe he's in the Early Access program.
    I ran the tests on my pre 2 and got practically the same numbers. That's sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    i'm not surprised by the findings. we have a touchpad and an ipad 1 here at home. my wife almost always goes for the ipad when browsing around. she says that my touchpad is noticeably slower than the ipad...which i agree with. it's definitely slower rendering pages. the only time she uses my touchpad is when she's viewing a web site that's got flash contents . i just hope that that gets optimized at some point. to be honest though, the pages loads fast enough for me. i'm more interested in getting sharper fonts when zooming in and out...in the browser, acrobat reader, etc.
    Have you tried disabling Flash and then loading the same web pages? Most pages have flash advertisements. Just a thought.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Heh, that would explain why the comments just disappeared and references to 3.0.2 changed to 3.0 so quickly.

Somebody's in trouble... (if he's in Early Access)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    OK, now this is weird. I commented some more on that fellow's blog. He asked me to run the DOM test myself since I have webOS 3.0.0 and he has 3.0.2. He wanted to compare our scores. Fair enough, I wanted to see if the scores changed as well. So I ran the full DOM test and my result was 88.11 runs/s. Whatever that means. It's 4 points higher than his, so I went about explaining why that is probably the case. I explained I had installed the speed patches for the TouchPad, the ones that disable a lot of logging.

In a previous comment on his blog I surmised that since he's in Germany, perhaps HP is rolling out the 3.0.2 update there first. But he says he got the update *days* ago. In one of his replies to me he said he's in the US, not Germany. I reply back and ask where exactly he got his TouchPad, Best Buy, Walmart, some online website? I said it was really strange that he's the only person I know of that has webOS 3.0.2 in the whole world.

Then what happens? Poof! All comments regarding the 3.0.2 version, my test results, his claim to being in the US, my questions on where he got his TouchPad, and that fact that he's the only person in the world to have 3.0.2 (other than HP engineers and some testers, of course) is him, disappeared! Not only did he delete all those comments, he also locked down the comment system to not allow anonymous comments. And on top of that, he instituted comment moderation on comments that come from Google accounts or OpenID accounts. What in the world is going on there?

Edit: Oh, and he also changed the wording of his blog post from webOS 3.0.2 to webOS 3.0. Why is he erasing anything and everything to do with webOS 3.0.2?
    rob are the speed patches in preware? Also what is being logged that the patches disable? Thanks
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    What's really interesting about the raw detailed scores is that the Playbook has a +/- 10% range --- with one category at +/- 30%.
    Not sure about anyone else, but I noticed today my browser locking up and freezing.

I tried a Luna restart first, that did not work. I then double checked my WIFI connection and that was working on my Pre...so it had to be my TP. Last thing and fix that worked, loaded the webOS Web Browser Preferences and cleared History, Cookies, and Cache.

Magic, webOS seems to have problems clearing old resources, and manually clearing my old cache fixed my problem.

Yes, I know this is a different comment then referenced above, but figure someone else would have similar problems and like the reference. Sorli...
    What this tests are representing exactly? Ipad2 seems 3 times faster than TP but, but is it in real use? So, this index represent what - loading speeds, scrolling speeds...?
    Last edited by chalx; 07/27/2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Ditto. I believe they are under NDA for any and all future updates that come through.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    What this tests are representing exactly? Ipad2 seems 3 times faster than TP but, but is it in real use? So, this index represent what - loading speeds, scrolling speeds...?
    Overall performance of the browser; how quickly/efficiently and appropriately it can perform given tasks.