Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    So what precautions should we look out for once the OTA updates start landing? I've never done this because my Sprint pre stopped getting updates when I put it preware and patches so I never had to worry about an OTA update.

Can someone detail or refer users with the steps to safely update and still have all your patches, etc installed? Should we be worried if we have a theme installed?
    As best I understand it, you do not install the webOS OTA update immediately after release. Pay attention to webOS Internal's Twitter feed and they'll let you know when the patches have been updated to be compatible with the OTA update. Once the patches have been approved, then do the OTA update, and finally run Preware and update the patches.
    or just unistall your current patchs and themes (which shouldnt be that many on the TP) update it, then wait for the patchs to be updated to the latest version.
    RoverNole likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Can you use the preware option for save package list? I recall reading about automatic patch technology or something of the sort where it would just "know" to update on its own when its available...I hope we get OTA updates like the old Pre days when it seemed updates were pushed very frequently. Surely this will be the case.
    I think all current patches are compatible with the AUPT (auto-update patch technology).
    tweeted webosinternals this thread.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    1) Don't feel you need to remove stuff before the update notification arrives.
    2) Don't accept the update in the first 24 hours of it being available.
    3) Watch the @webosinternals twitter feed during that time for further instructions.

In general, there will usually be a set of problematic patches which need to be uninstalled, but the membership of that set depends on exactly what is in the update.

Worst case, make sure your Preware saved packages list is up to date, then EPR, OTA, and reinstall from saved packages list.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    LordSecksie and mespiff like this.
    Apps and services do not need to be uninstalled before an OTA update.

Patches use AUPT, so nearly all of them you don't need to do anything for. I think a few don't fully follow the AUPT limitations and would need to be uninstalled before an OTA update. Do note, all of my patches are fully AUPT-compatible and will not need to be uninstalled.

For themes, there are 2 categories:
    - Regular themes: you'll need to uninstall these before any OTA update
    - Clock themes: you do not need to uninstall theses. If, after the OTA update, the extra theme(s) aren't showing in the clock app, just install the Clock Theme Reinstaller package and the issue will be fixed. However, as clock themes are only 1.4.5-2.x, it's not a concern for the TouchPad anyway.

In addition to following @webosinternals, I recommend people also follow me at @JayCanuck, for info on my patches, WOSQI, and my other software.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Apps and services do not need to be uninstalled before an OTA update.

Patches use AUPT, so nearly all of them you don't need to do anything for. I think a few don't fully follow the AUPT limitations and would need to be uninstalled before an OTA update. Do note, all of my patches are fully AUPT-compatible and will not need to be uninstalled.

For themes, there are 2 categories:
    - Regular themes: you'll need to uninstall these before any OTA update
    - Clock themes: you do not need to uninstall theses. If, after the OTA update, the extra theme(s) aren't showing in the clock app, just install the Clock Theme Reinstaller package and the issue will be fixed. However, as clock themes are only 1.4.5-2.x, it's not a concern for the TouchPad anyway.

In addition to following @webosinternals, I recommend people also follow me at @JayCanuck, for info on my patches, WOSQI, and my other software.
    Fully agree with all points. All WebOS Internals patches are fully AUPT-compatible too. However, there is a corner case which affects patches which patch files from more than one webOS package (e.g. patches calculator and email, or launcher and topbar) at the same time. This patches can get into a state where they will not uninstall without an EPR if the OTA update happens to replace one of those webOS packages but not the other. This can occur to patches from any author that have that characteristic, and can not be predicted in advance (since we don't know which parts of the webOS firmware are going to change in advance).

There is one Email BCC "patch" (not from Jason or WebOS Internals) which is distributed through the PreCentral feed (and therefore outside of the control and standards of the WebOS Internals webos-patches feed submissions or Internalz on-the-fly installation). I would strongly advise removing that one.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    not specific to TP but iirc the top bar framework and patches should be removed due to similar issues. This may have changed since the last ota I did but I remember this being advised for 1.4.5
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    not specific to TP but iirc the top bar framework and patches should be removed due to similar issues. This may have changed since the last ota I did but I remember this being advised for 1.4.5
    maybe, I'm mot extirely certain. Of my own top-bar related patches at least, I know for certain there have been no ota issues
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    maybe, I'm mot extirely certain. Of my own top-bar related patches at least, I know for certain there have been no ota issues
    Yeah I have never had a problem with all the "traditional" top bar patches. But I remember sconix recommending removing his package of patches, I think it had something to do with touching multiple aspects (since it breaks the top bar down into 3 segments and gives the additional menu support).

Kinda tired this morning and I cant think of the right words to say what I am trying to say.
    Since there are so few patches/themes specifically developed for the TP at this point (and only a few installed in my case), I plan to remove and reinstall, along with the volume-boosting Linux app, just to be on the safe side.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Since there are so few patches/themes specifically developed for the TP at this point (and only a few installed in my case), I plan to remove and reinstall, along with the volume-boosting Linux app, just to be on the safe side.
    +1
    It seems to me that given that we don't know what will be affected and there are so few patches right now [I have maybe a dozen installed] at least for me, I will write down the ones I have, uninstall them, and then reinstall those that are still available.

PS: I am close to finishing my first TP theme...

EDIT: Update installed and only one patch is available so far in the preware feed. Hmm. Oh well, this update does fix and improve a lot. It's not a major app adding update, but it's cool. As soon as it finishes, look for the new Facebook app update!
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 08/02/2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: new info
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    I will write down the ones I have, uninstall them, and then reinstall those that are still available.
    Actually you don't even need to write it down. The 'saved package list' in Preware will do the job for you. Simply run 'EPR' and you should be set to go.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    DON'T run EPR until you have removed your theme. Running EPR first will leave you with a stuck theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    DON'T run EPR until you have removed your theme. Running EPR first will leave you with a stuck theme.
    Yes ofcourse, themes are a NO, NO for any OTA update and must be the first things to be removed.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I just wanted to remind folks since you ddin't mention remove theme then run EPR. Seen a few people run EPR at the wrong time lately (even I did it once back before AUPT), I was able to fix the stuck theme, but most users aren't comfortable poking around in their file structures and just deleting stuff.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast