Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Mercule
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    ok guys, just need a little suggestion from the folks who know more about both the Galaxy 10.1 vs Touchpad than myself. Here's the deal- my wife and I both have 32gb Touchpads, one son has a Galaxy 10.1 and the other son is pro Android. My wife has a pixi and I have a pre- and we are both comfortable with WebOs. The son who does not have a tablet is trying to convince my wife to send back her TP and get the Samsung tablet. I have been trying to get her to hang on at least till the OTA updates.

She gets our son to set up her tablet- all she wants to do is browse the internet, use the kindle app, check e-mail, but wants to do video chat with the grand kids and to be able to easily transfer photos from her Picassa (Google) photo viewer to her pad so she can show off the grandchildren.

So far it has been a little slow to accomplish all of those feats because of the obvious bugs, no camera app, etc. Even though the TP is heavier I think she's ok with that, but did mention how light the Galaxy 10.1 was last night at Best Buy.

I guess what I am asking is some suggestions of anyone who may like the TP better than the Galaxy 10.1. She knows she can have whatever she wants but she is torn between knowing WebOs and being encouraged by our son saying how much better the Galaxy is over the TouchPad.

So, any help you guys can offer would be appreciated. I realize this is a WebOs forum but have read where some of you have both tablets or have switched. My time period is running short to return the TouchPad so I am going to have to make a decision soon.

TIA
    Touchpad is easily my choice (should be obvious I did buy one), flash is better, multitasking and synergy are amazing, there arent any more ports on the tab than the touchpad, Skype is integrated, and she can pair it with her phone which is a very nice feature in my mind. I honestly dont know about picassa right now but who know they have the option of actually plugging into the photo app.

WebOS is miles ahead of android, stick with it and the platform will blossom.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    I'm not sure if this is possible for you but have you thought of buying the Galaxy and letting her play with it so she can make the decision. While my bias is for webOS, that doesn't mean it's the best for everyone. Technology is only as good as what you use it for. You are already willing to return a product that isn't working for you at the moment so let her try the Galaxy for a few days and see which one suits her needs the best.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I'm not sure if this is possible for you but have you thought of buying the Galaxy and letting her play with it so she can make the decision. While my bias is for webOS, that doesn't mean it's the best for everyone. Technology is only as good as what you use it for. You are already willing to return a product that isn't working for you at the moment so let her try the Galaxy for a few days and see which one suits her needs the best.
    yes, I had considered sending he TP back and getting her a Galaxy for comparison. I guess we could always get another TP if she doesn't like the Galaxy. I plan to keep my TP, hoping for some big improvements tweaks with the OTA.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    If she's comfortable with webOS, she will be pulling her hair out at Honeycomb. It's clunky in comparison.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    For her needs, either one would probably work just fine. IMO, it comes down to which one she's more comfortable using.

I picked up a Galaxy Tab, for comparison because I'm getting impatient about the promised updates. I knew within 24 hours that it was going back, though. The browser crashed on me, twice, for no apparent reason (I think it was browsing this site). The email client jammed and did the Android "zzzt-zzzt-zzzt" thing that frustrates me so much on my phone. You might be able to argue that there are comparable issues on the TouchPad, or just the difference in app availability offsets those, though.

Ultimately, what killed the deal for sounds like a non-issue for your wife -- multitasking. Android technically multitasks, but not very usably. You can switch between tasks about as easily as on an iPad, which is to say less easily than the TouchPad. You can also only have one instance of each application open at a time. I ran into it while trying to reference a couple PDFs in parallel and, again, when trying to edit a Word doc and a related spreadsheet in parallel. In all cases, you have to close the first document to go to the second, which is a bigger pain than it sounds. Then, when you come back to the first, you've lost your place because you closed it.

I'm not sure whether your wife would run into similar issues or use cases, but those are why the Galaxy Tab went back. I've also come to the conclusion, based on my experience and playing with friends' iPads, that, should HP fail to deliver on the month-end patch, the only realistic alternative to a TouchPad is an iPad. That's a tough pill to follow for someone who has been strongly anti-Apple for almost two decades.
    does she use facebook? The touchpad app is arguably the best on any platform. And the integration of facebook pictures in the photo app are amazing.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    does she use facebook? The touchpad app is arguably the best on any platform. And the integration of facebook pictures in the photo app are amazing.
    yes, she does use it a little. I think with the synergy on the TP she might use it more with the bigger screen than she does on her pixi.
    Buy her a pair of Monster Beats solo HD headphones and listen to some HD radio at 128kb or 192kb. Amazing! I'd go for this option over a rear camera any day!