Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My TouchPad is as good as a paperweight in my office. My iPad, Android and WP7 devices can all connect through my proxy to the internet. How HP can advertise this as a business device and not provide proxy support is really incredible. It also pretty incredible that some people here can keep making excuses for HP.
    You should take it back, plain and simple.
    cobrakon likes this.
    My experiences using the TouchPad for business are in this thread below, I would need it mainly for travel, since I can use the macbook in the office:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hat-didnt.html
    Hp should've conducted focus groups with different types of business use case scenarios to ensure they nail down the "must haves" for the enterprise segment. The marketing platform was probably done in parallel to software development and optimization. It's clearly obvious that the software component is lagging. If anything HP leadership should've made a strategic decision to devote more resources to ensure all enterprise-critical apps are in place. It's really not rocket science. For example, if need Quick Office to be fully ready by launch, then pay them or send programmers to speed up the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Bingo. We run Bluecoat appliances behind our VPN concentrators and everything is done at the network level. No individual configuration required. As for the cloud hosting, we have access to Google Office, and are piloting with Office365.
    Oh you, you're just "making excuses" for HP, and you know it. Real bidnesses use technology from the 80's, where individual users have to manage their proxy services at the application layer instead of transparently at a lower level enterprise-wide.
    Well let me tell you my experience. I took delivery of a UK Touchpad Monday. I am IT Director of a firm of UK Accountants. My initial problem was configuring the thing. It needed to connect to a wireless router to enable initial configuration. Unfortunately our routers are configured to not allow any ***** to connect to them. At the very least they require a mac address of the connecting device. I telephoned European support to find out how I could get the mac address without configuring the device. The girl I spoke to didn't understand what I was asking but after speaking to a senior engineer a few times she came back to me saying that in the first instance I would have to connect to an unsecured wireless network to configure the thing. Then once it was configured I could access the mac address and configure it for the office routers.
    I did all this. Frankly I was not impressed with the foresight of this policy for a business device.
    And then of course is the failure to provide me with a word processor and spreadsheet app.
    speedtouch likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericrendel View Post
    Well let me tell you my experience. I took delivery of a UK Touchpad Monday. I am IT Director of a firm of UK Accountants. My initial problem was configuring the thing. It needed to connect to a wireless router to enable initial configuration. Unfortunately our routers are configured to not allow any ***** to connect to them. At the very least they require a mac address of the connecting device. I telephoned European support to find out how I could get the mac address without configuring the device. The girl I spoke to didn't understand what I was asking but after speaking to a senior engineer a few times she came back to me saying that in the first instance I would have to connect to an unsecured wireless network to configure the thing. Then once it was configured I could access the mac address and configure it for the office routers.
    I did all this. Frankly I was not impressed with the foresight of this policy for a business device.
    And then of course is the failure to provide me with a word processor and spreadsheet app.
    The OTA supposedly has Quick Office editing and should be out by the end of this week (you can do Quick Office viewing right now).

Also webos-Internals has been able to get ubuntu running on a separate partition which gives access to LibreOffice. I understand that tablet versions of word processors and spreadsheets generally have less features than their desktop counterparts so having access to LibreOffice could be a helpful addition (webos-internals has ubuntu up and running and is working on keyboard mapping).

My wireless router is password protected (WPA 2), clicking onto "wi-fi preferences" in the wifi menu (located in the top right hand corner), and then "join network" allows me to find it and input the password.

Here's a nice video on dailymotion about wifi configuration as well as connecting the TouchPad to the webOS Pre and Veer phones (the red pillow behind him is a nice touch):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjr...-touchpad_tech
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/27/2011 at 05:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I would point out that the more of these devices HP gets in to the hands of users like those in this thread, the greater the likelihood that all of these issues will be ironed out and resolve fairly quickly. HP's got a pretty good track record in the business world; my gut hunch tells me that they're going to get behind this device, because they've got to realize by now that the laptop is a dying device... tablets are the future.

There's no getting round the fact that a great deal of the future of this promising device lies with us taking a chance on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

Here's a nice video on dailymotion about wifi configuration as well as connecting the TouchPad to the webOS Pre and Veer phones (the red pillow behind him is a nice touch):

Dailymotion - Setting up Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the HP TouchPad - a Tech & Science video
    Why do they continue to torture us with videos of the Pre 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericrendel View Post
    I agree. At the very least they could have the MAC address display in the initial configuration, maybe at the bottom right or left of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    I agree. At the very least they could have the MAC address display in the initial configuration, maybe at the bottom right or left of the screen.
    That would have been useful or indeed if the support peple had the ability to check against the serial number and read off the mac address from their records.
    speedtouch likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Hummm... and support to .zip or .rar files?

Best Regards...
    I know Jason said he is working on .zip, I believe he is going to incorporate into Internalz HD...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    For the record, I announced a long while ago after Internalz HD 1.0 is out, my ArchiveXtractor app would be next. I've only briefly mentioned it before, but I plan on have Internalz HD integration, on the same level of Integration I'm planning for homebrew
    From the following thread, he also gives some more info on Internalz HD.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...internalz.html
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    so ive spent the last week seeing how far i can get just using the TP as a primary work device. Here are my impressions:
    The bad
    * wireless does not travel well. Moving bewteen enviroments results in wireless literally resetting, getting signal, loseing signal. Will lock on eventually
    * wierd issue where screen dims and brightens during use
    * pauses, pauses pauses! You will occasionally retype or multiple select as you think the device didnt register your input
    * no arrow keys on the keyboard.makes selecting a location within text trial and error
    * system has occasionally rebooted during use
    * cant edit or create docs
    * cant connect to resources or content at work
    * useless away from a wireless connection
    * anti-glare screen and HP case are must haves $$$

The good
    *my first choice for doing email and calendar
    * handles most of what I want to do on the web
    * multitasking - love listening to podcasts while working through email while looking up info on the web
    * drop it in the cradle for charging
    * notes app is basic but functional for taking notes during conference calls and sending as an email to yourself and others
    * viewing flash - how does the ipad get by without it?

IMHO
    * WebOS is a good concept
    * the hardware and software are not as mature as IOS and Android
    * if HP wants to gain traction with this device they should acknowledge this and bring their device in below current market pricing, not at the same
    * pay developers to bring on apps ASAP, they are currently trickling in
    * work with variuos verticals (health care, finance, manufacturing) and learn and adapt to thier needs.
    * call microsoft and build some apps/functionality to work with their productivity tools. (hey, its compitition with Apple!)
    * open up functionalityto work with other mobile platforms. I likely wont get a Palm 3 but would find additional functionality if the TP worked with my WP7.

Ok group, what are your thoughts for saving this platform?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12