Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tostler
  1.    #1  
    So I'm on my second touchpad (because I found I could grab a 32gb for less than I paid for the original 16gb).

It seems like my 32gb gets slightly worse battery life than my first one. I installed Dr. Battery and it says the battery is rated at over 6600mah, but it's at 95% health so just under 6300mah left (mind you the touchpad is spec'ed with a 6300mah battery).

What is everyone else finding with their batteries and Dr. Battery?
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    So I'm on my second touchpad (because I found I could grab a 32gb for less than I paid for the original 16gb).

It seems like my 32gb gets slightly worse battery life than my first one. I installed Dr. Battery and it says the battery is rated at over 6600mah, but it's at 95% health so just under 6300mah left (mind you the touchpad is spec'ed with a 6300mah battery).

What is everyone else finding with their batteries and Dr. Battery?
    Haven't run Dr. Batt on it yet but was just going to make a post to "State your battery life" but I'll chime in here as well.

Took the TPad off the charger this morning at 9:30am and used it all day at work and all evening since I got home (all P|C posts tonight) and it's 12:50am with 15% to go. 6 email accounts, 4 calendars, browsing our intranet and sharepoint sites as well as the Cisco call manager portal, some personal surfing at lunch, and a little Robotek HD. That's 15+ hours which is typical for heavy usage. Light usage I charge it every other day or so. Not sure what the heck Engadget does to get so poor a time.

Getting ready to charge her now.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I ran Dr Battery out of curiosity after reading this. Like you, it states the Manufacturer Rating at 6612 mAh. It shows the health at 95% or 6681 mAh. I got mine on 1 July.

On a more subjective note.... When I use it for 16-18 hours for easy things like email (7 imap accounts), browsing websites and apps like news/magazine/book, my TPad will drop down to around 30%. Total cumulative usage time is around 4-5 hours.

My heavy use has been graphic-intense games, streaming video and multi-tasking that sucks down the power. I haven't tried watching a full movie yet. I think at the worst, I was able to use up around 25% of the charge in about an hour of solid use.

I am curious to know if that's normal for tablets in general, not just the TPad.
    It's recommended by the manufacturer of the chip inside the battery to use a higher "Manufacturer Rating" than the actual battery rating.
    With that you have some room for calibration if the battery has more than specified.
    With that a "normal" new battery don't has 100%.
    But the calculated capacity should be around the specified capacity for a new one.
  5.    #5  
    Honestly, I might just be paranoid. I've been using my TouchPad more and more, so that's obviously one reason. I just thought one night my touchpad lost 5% where the last one didn't lose anything and all the accounts should be the same. It's probably nothing...
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Totally anecdotal:
    I performed a secure erase last night. The final third of which while on battery. Once it came back up I set up 5 email/calendars; downloaded and configured 20 some odd applications; paired with Pre minus and Touchpad keyboard; launched Kindle app and then read for a few hours. The thing was in constant use for 7 hours and when I set it down, I still have 35% battery left.

If that's crappy battery life, I'll take it every time.
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
    etx likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Dr. Battery said mine was 95% when new too.
    I maximize battery life and stability by hitting airplane mode whenever I'm going to walk away from it for a while.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Has anyone heard of bad batteries for TP? After a night of recharging on Touchstone, it dropped to 75% after 15 minutes of email and browser use. I haven't put the TP through a whole day torture test since my use is very intermittent. Does that sound right? I may have to return it to HP for a new one then. I noticed a small crack in near my speaker too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    Has anyone heard of bad batteries for TP? After a night of recharging on Touchstone, it dropped to 75% after 15 minutes of email and browser use. I haven't put the TP through a whole day torture test since my use is very intermittent. Does that sound right? I may have to return it to HP for a new one then. I noticed a small crack in near my speaker too.
    From 100 to 75% in 15 min? That's not good.
    Machine is OC @ 1.78ghz
    Bluetooth wireless keyboard is active.

I figure I watch a video and see how long it last
    *****Stream watching ESPN HD on the TP for past 1hr 30 min or other Media streaming from website non stop to see how fast can I drain this battery.
    Battery went from 100% to 53%
    Dr Battery shows 52% (not too worried about 1%)
    Battery Life as per the program shows 95%

Once battery is drained, will charge it using touchstone fully and then going to watch a video directly from TP and let it just run. See how long that takes before it drains off
    Last edited by snowwhitie; 08/28/2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    Run it down to zero a couple times and see if it improves. If it doesn't then return it for a repair/replacement. My two cents.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Where do you find "Dr. Battery?"
    streaming video and pdk games like need for speed are the biggest possible battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    streaming video and pdk games like need for speed are the biggest possible battery drain.
    That's what I am trying to see for myself. So I now what to do and what not to do.

1hr and 45 min of streaming HD content via Internet to HP touchpad and battery is 49%
    And email, facebook, skype, keyboard all in the back.