Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

First let me preface this with I still have a Pre on Sprint (since launch day), granted I am on my third piece of hardware, and truly do enjoy WebOS...wish Sprint would get the Pre 3...and want to love the Touchpad. Ok...deep breath...

I finally got my hands on a Touchpad (3 of them) at my local Best Buy and I have such mixed feelings. The software seems ok but the build quality of the Touchpad itself...it is very, very dissappointing. All three units, including one fresh out of the box, exhibited poor build quality and if you pressed on the screen on any of the four sides, it actually flexed and caused screen issues. I mean the screen actually pressed in and you could feel it hit components and where it hit them the LCD screen went bad.

The case feels very cheap and does not exude a quality build. Please, take this the right way, but the iPad and Samsung Glaxy Tab 10.1 are built extremely well, once you compare these to the Touchpad...it just failed.

I wanted a Touchpad and love WebOS...but I will not give HP $500 for a tablet that is not built anywhere near the quality standards set by other vendors...even discounting that...the Touchpad just feels cheap.

Sorry, not looking to offend, but just being honest.

My girl has an iPad and we both hate that it does not run Flash and wanted to move to the Touchpad, but in all honesty, it looks like a Samsung is the way to go.

Why do they (HPalm) keep dropping the ever loving ball? I know I am rooting for the underdog but they have to throw me a bone sometime! :-)
    I love my Touchpad

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    sledge007 and etx like this.
    Whatever you experienced on those demo models doesn't seem to happen on mine. I can press as hard as I want on the screen and it doesn't give.

In any case, why are you doing it? "If I bite my finger it hurts!" "well stop biting your finger!"
    I have no issues with the build quality. Seems strong enough to me.
    +1 No complaints with build quality here, but they should have put the Power button and Volume buttons in the same place as the Pres. My muscle memory automatically tries to turn on the screen top right and volume on the left side.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Reviews say so as well.

I don't know if HP uses the materials and designs for touchstone, but its not a premium looking device for sure.

I am not sure how many people cares about looks and feels, but HP should make a better effort in next gen of touchpad for sure.
    I guess I'm lucky or something, my Touchpad feels solid as a rock.

-Skippy
    IGNTNUNLMTD and sledge007 like this.
    i am lucky as well then. lol. mine is awesome.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have no issues with the build on mine. And with the new HP TP case I put on it, it's like a piece of military equipment.
    Yeah, mine feels solid as a rock. I just notice some light-bleeds on the edges when the screen is on but showing black. Other folks seem to be really hacked off by this, but I only notice it on boot, frankly.
    Mine went straight into the HP case, so I really can't speak to this. Then again until today (last month of Sprint ended), I was still on my initial Pre and so was the wife (never even had to Dr either of em).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    blackfireball5 likes this.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I think it depends on what you think of as "good build". I'm fine with it, and even prefer it to the iPad.
    I, too, have no issues with the build quality. I use a case, and the device feels solid as a rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by tampaguy75 View Post
    I, too, have no issues with the build quality. I use a case, and the device feels solid as a rock.
    +1

And that is with a cheap case.
    sledge007 likes this.
    I'm quite happy with the build quality, though I did pretty much put it in the HP case immediately
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    As with the overwhelming majority of people reporting in, my TouchPad is rock solid, really impressive build quality. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    The left side feels like garbage on mine. It will push in and feel cheap and "click".
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Build quality is on par with the Pre. (cheap) Check out the thread on cracks at the speaker ports. Great internals, Same old cheap plastic case. Glad I went with the Playbook instead. Top notch hardware. Software can be fixed with a little code. Hardwares forever. I know first hand on the cracks, My son had to send his back, Plastic is paper thin around speaker ports, Take a look at your Touchpads, the cracks are hard to see sometimes.
    flex in the screen isn't equal to poor build quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Reviews say so as well.

I don't know if HP uses the materials and designs for touchstone, but its not a premium looking device for sure.

I am not sure how many people cares about looks and feels, but HP should make a better effort in next gen of touchpad for sure.
    I challenge you to find a review that states the issues he's stating.

This broadcast "it's junk" nonsense from folks really should stop.

Yes, some reviews mentioned the plastic case. I have yet to see a single review that talked specifically about the screen flexing.

As a matter of fact, this is the first post I've seen anywhere that states this.

The screen is made of Gorilla Glass. It does not flex.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    I guess I'm lucky or something, my Touchpad feels solid as a rock.

-Skippy
    The first week I had mine, I dropped it on the corner, in the case, and it's fine.

The anti's are here in force again.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast