Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree96Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    Also, from a structural point of view, plastic bends and absorbs shock better than aluminum. So when you drop the iPad, the energy from the drop will be transferred to the internal components and the screen. Whereas when you drop the Touchpad, more of that energy will be absorbed by the plastic back. For that reason alone, I'm okay w/ the TP's liberal use of plastic, with its slippery and fingerprint attracting back and all. I would've definitely preferred a soft-touch back though, it's too bad HP didn't do that
    You also have to consider the design of the structure relative to the internal components. Aluminum can be fine if it is well isolated from the main board and screen. Plastic could be bad if an impact allows it's deflection to contact internal components. When it comes to the laws of Physics there is no discussion, weight does matter, so a good engineer will account of that. You can't just exchange one material for the other without modifying your design. Ideally your whole design should hinge on the materials used and size, weight, and tactile feel objectives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    You also have to consider the design of the structure relative to the internal components. Aluminum can be fine if it is well isolated from the main board and screen. Plastic could be bad if an impact allows it's deflection to contact internal components. When it comes to the laws of Physics there is no discussion, weight does matter, so a good engineer will account of that. You can't just exchange one material for the other without modifying your design. Ideally your whole design should hinge on the materials used and size, weight, and tactile feel objectives.
    But the design is different, at least compared to the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1. Both of those are thinner than the TP, so even less room for everything they have to squeeze in there, so I don't know how well isolated it can get when they're using every bid of space they can. I'd hazard to guess that the TP's more curved back will tend to distribute more of the force to the edge of the tablet than the iPad 2. What that will do to the tablet though, not sure, and not keen on testing out myself
    I had major issues with my first one, all build related, exchanged it, and still have minor build quality issues with my second (much like those described in the OP). The build quality is a touch shoddy on the TP, but as I have said, this isn't new. The companies contracted to build this stuff tend to be low bidders, and I have had similar issues with phones from HTC and Samsung. If you use a lot of electronics devices, and you are an early adopter, you are GOING to experience build quality issues at some point in your life.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    No are you serious? YOur Onkyo is made of plastic? Bring it back, its CHEAP!
    Seriously, though. Should have gone with H/K
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    But the design is different, at least compared to the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1. Both of those are thinner than the TP, so even less room for everything they have to squeeze in there, so I don't know how well isolated it can get when they're using every bid of space they can. I'd hazard to guess that the TP's more curved back will tend to distribute more of the force to the edge of the tablet than the iPad 2. What that will do to the tablet though, not sure, and not keen on testing out myself
    Its hard to say without taking them apart and comparing the guts. You don't need much for isolation, just some thin strips of rubber or foam. Depending on the material used it can be compressed to 50% of its thickness and still be able to absorb energy. The guts of the TP vs. iPad 2 and 10.1 likely are very similar. Samsung and Apple had an objective to make the thinnest tablet on the market. HP wanted to maintain inductive charging and the natural curved stone shape. I doubt that the curved back was an impact consideration. How many times will you drop your tablet squarely on its back? I would say probably never.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    Its hard to say without taking them apart and comparing the guts. You don't need much for isolation, just some thin strips of rubber or foam. Depending on the material used it can be compressed to 50% of its thickness and still be able to absorb energy. The guts of the TP vs. iPad 2 and 10.1 likely are very similar. Samsung and Apple had an objective to make the thinnest tablet on the market. HP wanted to maintain inductive charging and the natural curved stone shape. I doubt that the curved back was an impact consideration. How many times will you drop your tablet squarely on its back? I would say probably never.
    True. But drop any of the tablets and it's not gonna be pretty, so in the end it's all kinda moot. From my time w/ the Touchpad, I didn't feel that the tablet was cheaply made or that the plastic back was in danger of breaking.
    i went after i got home yesterday and tested my touch pad for the case issues. Cracked speaker ports? nope. Screen distortion when i press on the back of the plastic case? nope. Glass bowing anywhere? nope. I just bought my TP on Saturday and it's rock solid. Now im just going to knock on wood and hope that it stays that way.
    True. But drop any of the tablets and it's not gonna be pretty, so in the end it's all kinda moot. From my time w/ the Touchpad, I didn't feel that the tablet was cheaply made or that the plastic back was in danger of breaking.
    About as likely as dropping toast butter side up....it's going to be glass down or on edge, then glass

Dropped mine from my front seat of my car, it landed on edge, but into soft ground, with a case on. No injury.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456