Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes
    I would say I would be scared of inductive charging with a complete metal back. I have had phones and he rubber TP case get warm to the touch.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I also agree that whatever you experienced did not happen t me and I tried to press the screen and get the same results and I didn't get them.The build quality is solid and I didn't get the feeling I was going to drop it like I did with the ipad 2.Actually the ipad 2 is more slippery then the touchpad despite the greasy back of the touchpad.
    I can't get my TP to do the ripples or the flex as described. Seems solid, given that it's plastic.
    My observation is that the iPad2 pleases my eye, while the TP pleases my hand. I'd like it lighter, but the material and thickness actually makes it easier to hold, for me.
    True, the iPad2 is most likely more durable. But, honestly, they both are luxury devices. Not necessary to get anything done. Neither as portable as a smartphone nor as powerful as a laptop. With current speed of tech development and new device iterations, does anyone truly expect to be using the device they bought today for more than 2 years or so? I'd say that most people who can afford to (and want to) own a tablet will be able to afford (and will desire) the next generation device to stay "up to date". So the longevity or durability of hardware is not a primary concern.
    My opinion.
    If Your iPad 2 Has Display Problems, DO NOT Return It. Here’s Why | Cult of Mac

look! the ipad2 is cheap because it has screen bleeding issues!... /sarcasm

I'll personally let you all know when my Touchpad breaks because of its "poor" build quality... dont wait up, it may be a while.
    Gas! I have the crack. Bottom left speaker, left side, about 1/8th inch long. Have my support ticket with options:

1. Get replacement 'refurb' from HP & then ship mine back to HP.

2. Return it to the point of purchase.

Which is the better option? No idea why this is a hard decision, but it is.
    If it was just something that happened, and not caused by neglect by you, then I'd return it to the store and get a new one immediately. They will then send it back and it will go through the refurb process.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If it was just something that happened, and not caused by neglect by you, then I'd return it to the store and get a new one immediately. They will then send it back and it will go through the refurb process.
    No neglect, I baby this thing. Have it in the folio & go nowhere without sliding it into the padded Belkin case. I still have a flawless launch Pre with not a single scratch (wife uses it b/c I Franken'd her ailing Pre.). I'd prefer to keep this one, but am afraid the crack will grow & free exchange will be gone.
    Look at his join date and you can see he's been here almost as long as you. And he owns a pre and posted. Just because you like webs doesn't mean you can't be critical. Especially if you sent hard earned money for it. I betcha hp doesnt mind the criticisms because it helps them when developing next gen products. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    I'm convinced the people starting threads like this are paid buy the competition trolls. Seriously, this is just ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    No neglect, I baby this thing. Have it in the folio & go nowhere without sliding it into the padded Belkin case. I still have a flawless launch Pre with not a single scratch (wife uses it b/c I Franken'd her ailing Pre.). I'd prefer to keep this one, but am afraid the crack will grow & free exchange will be gone.
    dont forget you will still be under your year warranty from hp
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    +1 they should have put the Power button and Volume buttons in the same place as the Pres. My muscle memory automatically tries to turn on the screen top right and volume on the left side.
    Good point!
    No issues with quality here after almost 3 weeks of daily use (poor laptop is neglected). Have a screen protector on the front and a fun skin on order to dress her up in back. When on the move, she's in a sleeve or just my hand. In fact I've been a little worried about how nonchalant I am at home with it but it feels so solid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Thats strange. The back of mine doesn't move at all, I tried to push on the back and nothing.. no ripples, nothing. You probably just have some kind of defective unit.
    Same with mine - I pressed on the back and didn't see any ripples. Then I pressed on the sides and again nothing. So then I pressed on the screen and got ... the 'Copy' option to pop up but still no ripples. Guess I'll count myself lucky-still using an original Pre- without issues so I must get the right box off the shelf!
    Rock solid here too.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for us to start saying we have hardware issues.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Mine has about as much give to it as my phone (Epic) does. Considering that it's roughly six times the size, I think that's pretty good.

I've got another big purchase that has some "give" to its case -- my car. I don't know what sort of junk metal they're using, but I can get a nice warping sound, if I push right.
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Nope, lust checked mine. No flex.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    no flex on your touchpad, or your transformer...or both?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    No are you serious? YOur Onkyo is made of plastic? Bring it back, its CHEAP!
    Mine is made from some kind of stone. At first I took it for granite, but at least I know it's no piece of schist!

I'm sorry I couldn't stop myself... I'm so embarrassed.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Cantaffordit likes this.
    As lame as my geological jesting was, thank you Cantaffordit for 'liking' my post...you sure are gneiss!

SOMEBODY STOP ME!

Just got my replacement - original had the dreaded case cracks by the speakers. The HP store in the UK replaced with a brand new item from stock.

The build quality has improved - the area around the camera is no longer raised up from the rim of the case with a uniform lip right around the edge of the screen. The restore function worked perfectly - even bringing back my Preware installed Kindle reader.

Just got to get the Catalog set to UK pounds (PM sent to Calvin) and it will be sorted....
    I think I have a problem. Hopefully someone can chime in.

my home button has been pushed down and is no longer flush with the screen. It still works. Should I be alarmed?
    I've only had my TouchPad for 3 days, so it's definitely not a long term review or anything. But overall, I would say I'm okay w/ the build quality.

Overall it felt solid to me, even with the plastic back. I'm not a fan of the plastic back, but I can't say it's not solid either. While I do like the iPad's aluminum body, I find myself more concerned with scratching the iPad's back than I am about scratching the Touchpad's back. Something about that smooth aluminum that just makes me worry about scratching it

Also, from a structural point of view, plastic bends and absorbs shock better than aluminum. So when you drop the iPad, the energy from the drop will be transferred to the internal components and the screen. Whereas when you drop the Touchpad, more of that energy will be absorbed by the plastic back. For that reason alone, I'm okay w/ the TP's liberal use of plastic, with its slippery and fingerprint attracting back and all. I would've definitely preferred a soft-touch back though, it's too bad HP didn't do that

If I would have to pick a weakness, it's how slippery the Touchpad is. I find that I have to pinch quite hard when trying to hold the Touchpad with one hand (my hand on top, TP on bot) to prevent it from slipping.

I tried to depress on the screen like the OP did, and if I press hard enough, yes the panel would warp a bit. But I would have to press pretty hard to do that, beyond what I would say is normal usage. Also, it's nothing more than what I would see on an iPad or a Xoom when I apply the same amount of pressure. On all of these tablets, if you press hard enough on the LCD panel, it'll depress and you'll see banding/distortion like you'll see on LCD monitors when you press on the panel with your finger.

So overall I'm happy with my TouchPad's build quality. HP could've done better by giving it a soft touch back like the kind of the Pre 3, but that might have something to do with keeping temps in check, just guessing.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast