Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My experience with it has been largely positive. Sure, it's plastic, but I knew that going in. My one area of concern is that there is a bit of "glass bulge" happening on the larger horizontal sides. It's more noticeable on the non-volume rocker side, but it's there. It's not enough to make me regret getting it, but the glass is clearly flush at the edges and not in the center. That's really my only issue, but again I went in knowing this was made of plastic, not titanium.
    Quote Originally Posted by kipplitz View Post
    First off, I stand by what I said. Make no bones or apologies. If you want to disagree it is certainly in your periphery, as it is in mine.

The screen moves and creates waves in the LCD panel because it is hitting components behind it. Don't believe me? You are more than welcome to come to Best Buy in Stillwater, OK and check it out.

Someone asked if I owned one or why I would want one...well...I went to "own" one and after examining it decided that my initial thoughts of "wanting" one were tempered with love of WebOS...but the hands on experience of the hardware did not deliver the promise.

If you can park your emotional attachment to WebOS for just 5 minutes (like I did) and truly compare the build quality of the TP to either the iPad or Samsung 10.1 Tab you can most certainly see the latter two are built much better and are much more solid. Unless the units of all 3 I examined here are rigged...which I truly doubt...even if I do give in to my conspiracy side.

I am truly sorry some of your feelings are hurt and that a simple statement of my experience has somehow illicited the warring factions! :-)

But...I stand by both my statements and my experience.
    Hmmm....low post count, posting items to the contrary of the vast majority, I dunno. ...I'm just sayin'.

I've handled 15 or so extensively and had nary an issue with any of them. Each as solid as the next, ZERO screen flex and ZERO case flex no matter how hard pushed.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Are you saying the plastic case is required for inductive charging? I've got a Dell Z600 laptop around here that has inductive charging and it is not made of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yes and your ipad doesn't do inductive charging.
    i think metal interfers with the inductive charging. your dell must be well thought out designed if its charging thru a metal case.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    What a small world. I had mine in Stillwater this weekend at the Starbucks,but my TP came from Insight in Chicago. Maybe it is the OK heat. (sarcasm) I can put slight pressure on the back of mine and it creates wavy patterns on the screen. You can actually move your fingers along the back and watch the waves move with you. I have ordered a replacement for mine. Let's see if the second unit does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kipplitz View Post
    First off, I stand by what I said. Make no bones or apologies. If you want to disagree it is certainly in your periphery, as it is in mine.

The screen moves and creates waves in the LCD panel because it is hitting components behind it. Don't believe me? You are more than welcome to come to Best Buy in Stillwater, OK and check it out.

Someone asked if I owned one or why I would want one...well...I went to "own" one and after examining it decided that my initial thoughts of "wanting" one were tempered with love of WebOS...but the hands on experience of the hardware did not deliver the promise.

If you can park your emotional attachment to WebOS for just 5 minutes (like I did) and truly compare the build quality of the TP to either the iPad or Samsung 10.1 Tab you can most certainly see the latter two are built much better and are much more solid. Unless the units of all 3 I examined here are rigged...which I truly doubt...even if I do give in to my conspiracy side.

I am truly sorry some of your feelings are hurt and that a simple statement of my experience has somehow illicited the warring factions! :-)

But...I stand by both my statements and my experience.
    Ulairi likes this.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I'm not pro HP or Pro Apple or pro anyone, really. In fact, I fall on the side of being anti-Apple. I don't think this discussion is about the screen but about the case. The HP case, when compared to the ipad, feels cheap. You can put slight pressure on the HP and see ripples. You can triple that pressure on the ipad and not see a single ripple or wave.

Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    All LCDs will create ripples when pressed hard enough. Doesn't matter which device it is on. Go ahead, try it on the iPad, see if it won't happen too. .
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    With the launch of the TouchPad, you're going to get a lot of new posters (like me) and we will have low post count. Don't run people off by telling them they are not really experiencing issues that they are seeing. This forum is actually one of oddest forums I have visited in a long time. I posted my 10 items post yesterday and people were telling me I was wrong and defedning the TouchPad like I called their mother a name. I was shocked at the discussion that post spawned.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Hmmm....low post count, posting items to the contrary of the vast majority, I dunno. ...I'm just sayin'.

I've handled 15 or so extensively and had nary an issue with any of them. Each as solid as the next, ZERO screen flex and ZERO case flex no matter how hard pushed.
    donm527 and blinktreo like this.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    This is what I'm talking about. Why is so hard to believe the OP has experienced an issue? I'm sure the OP has an ipad and expected the TP to feel the same. That was my expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by sandlizard View Post
    It' amazing how all this discussion and defending a product that stands on what it is; takes place because a ****** with a 20 post history comes in and throws out a bunch of junk, who uses a piece of equipment the way he describes, I don't. Take a new AirBook and grab the corners of the screen and the screen will flex big time. Does that make it cheap? I don't think so. And is that something someone would do to use a device, pinch and flex it all over. I think not. I'd suggest the OP find a board that supports his idea of a good tablet and get on there and have fun. The TouchPad is fine for me and I use my equipment hard.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/26/2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: response to deleted post
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    What a small world. I had mine in Stillwater this weekend at the Starbucks,but my TP came from Insight in Chicago. Maybe it is the OK heat. (sarcasm) I can put slight pressure on the back of mine and it creates wavy patterns on the screen. You can actually move your fingers along the back and watch the waves move with you. I have ordered a replacement for mine. Let's see if the second unit does the same.

I need to fly to Stillwater to see why the Touhpad creates waves there.

Is it a problem with Touchpad ? or is it Stillwater,OK that's causing it ?
    bluenote and cobrakon like this.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    This is what I'm talking about. Why is so hard to believe the OP has experienced an issue? I'm sure the OP has an ipad and expected the TP to feel the same. That was my expectation.
    Did the OP really tested all the other tablets by pressing on the screen using the same amount of pressure on all the test subjects. Sometimes things happen. The weather might be hot, or the TP got beaten during transit. So I tend to believe it could have happened.

When the OP says something which the folks here disagree completely, then its natural to expect the forum to write against him/her.

Besides the professional reviewers normally catch something like this. So far we have not heard any such claims from any professional reviewers.
    cobrakon likes this.
    I'm not pro HP or Pro Apple or pro anyone, really. In fact, I fall on the side of being anti-Apple. I don't think this discussion is about the screen but about the case. The HP case, when compared to the ipad, feels cheap. You can put slight pressure on the HP and see ripples. You can triple that pressure on the ipad and not see a single ripple or wave.
    Thats strange. The back of mine doesn't move at all, I tried to push on the back and nothing.. no ripples, nothing. You probably just have some kind of defective unit.
    cobrakon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Did the OP really tested all the other tablets by pressing on the screen using the same amount of pressure on all the test subjects. Sometimes things happen. The weather might be hot, or the TP got beaten during transit. So I tend to believe it could have happened.

When the OP says something which the folks here disagree completely, then its natural to expect the forum to write against him/her.

Besides the professional reviewers normally catch something like this. So far we have not heard any such claims from any professional reviewers.
    To add to this, the poster is INTENTIONALLY attempting to get an adverse result from using the item in a way all of us know is not the intended normal use. As has been said, the results are standard results not for the TP but for the technology.

Now if the TP was being sold as a heavy duty piece of equipment (thinking toughbook type of line), then this could be a valid discussion on the TP not being made with handle more stress than what would normally be expected.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    The only time my screen "flexes" is when I have it, in the 30 degree angle position and push fairly hard on the screen, but in all honesty, it's that nice, snug fitting form rubberized case that's flexing.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    You know, I drove over my Touchpad with a forklift before tossing it into a cauldron of molten lead, and I'm finding it's not quite as responsive any more.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    The only time my screen "flexes" is when I have it, in the 30 degree angle position and push fairly hard on the screen, but in all honesty, it's that nice, snug fitting form rubberized case that's flexing.
    Now I want to "Flex" the screen. See this is the big problem with trying something that we are not supposed to do.

Next thing you know there are few trying to do it just to see what happens.And one of them says its touching internal parts. Boom. Another hardware failure that was invented.
    sledge007 likes this.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    You know, I drove over my Touchpad with a forklift before tossing it into a cauldron of molten lead, and I'm finding it's not quite as responsive any more.
    And, I did the same with other tablets, and they still work .
    sledge007 likes this.
    See, that's the wrong expectation. It's not the same device, it won't feel the same. I think that's the root of the problem with "defense/offense" posts.

I went to a Best Buy the other day, and tried the iPad. The up gesture didn't work, and I couldn't find any cards to dismiss. Also, I put it on a TouchStone, and it didn't charge.

Must be poor quality and design, right?
    I completely believe him in terms of what he says is happeneing.

I just don't agree that it represents a flaw in design, material, or workmanship.

there is no spec floating around that says "back shall not move or flex when pressed"... Nor has anyone been able to provide a reasonable explanation for harm (or benefit) to having a bit of flex.

it might be designed that way, on purpose. It might just be the way the parts fit and there was no reason to complicate the design by filling in any gaps between the back and whatever is behind it.

resolved, some users (including me) have a bit of flex when they press certain areas.

not resolved, what that flex indicates and whether it is good/bad/intentional/etc.
    yeah, if you're seeing ripple on the screen when you press on the BACK, that's a problem and you should get that replaced. especially since most people here, me included, aren't seeing the same thing. i'd choke it up to a bad batch.

i thought we were talking about ripples when you press on the FRONT...as someone mentioned already, that's normal with LCD screens. here's one interesting thing though...

so i stopped by BestBuy to check out this ripple when you press on the FRONT screen and almost all the tablets they had did it except for two. you'd think it's the ipad and galaxy tab but you'd be wrong. the two that didn't ripple is the touchpad and the iconia tab. both the ipad 2 and the samsung rippled when i pressed moderately on the screen. maybe they use a thinner glass? which might account for the lighter weight? i dunno.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Are you saying the plastic case is required for inductive charging? I've got a Dell Z600 laptop around here that has inductive charging and it is not made of plastic.
    you should check again, especially where the magnets are. i'm not completely sure whether touchstone would work "through" an aluminum back but i'm pretty sure that any metal that you put in between, including aluminum, will get HOT and that's primarily why it's not a good idea to do that.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast