Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Mine is really well built. Have you called tech support? If yours is having problems give them a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Funny, my 42" Sharp Aquos, 32" Samsung LCD, 1000w Onkyo system, and my Xbox360 Slim are all made of....*gasp* Shiny, piano-black plastic!! What cheap low quality product they must all be!!??

/smh
    No are you serious? YOur Onkyo is made of plastic? Bring it back, its CHEAP!
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    Agree with the op. It does feel cheap. Why they selected that cheap plastic for the back cover is baffling. You can actually put slight pressure on the back cover and it will make wavy spots on the screen. I posted this on my "10 items" thread and someone actually claimed the plastic is better than aluminum or other alloy since it won't slip out of your hand. I am typing on iPad now and it is not slipping.
    Plastic allows me to have the TouchStone and I'd make that trade. I just wish it had the rubberized back like the Pre 2.
    well... i kinda feel that there are have been a high number of people reporting cracks in the speakers in another thread, also seen reports of people noticing the glass raised on one corner, etc. the cracks are concerning and could be a quality issue.

i've played with a tp and it feels ok... tried squeezing it, flexing it. on its own merit it seems ok. but i dunno... if you go to these stores and you see the tp and playbook and ipad2 and 10.1 side by side and feel each one... to me the latters feel better.
    curious... to anyone that has a case thats compatible with the touchstone... is it the same hard plastic? or does it have a different texture on the back and what kind of texture?

i'm thinking they could have used a harder plastic with different textures. but maybe that would have added too much weight. its a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Plastic allows me to have the TouchStone and I'd make that trade. I just wish it had the rubberized back like the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    No are you serious? YOur Onkyo is made of plastic? Bring it back, its CHEAP!
    i was just going to say that. plus i was also going to ask if, besides the tv, he paid $600 for any of those items .
    i agree. i think the fact that the back is plastic wouldn't have been an issue had it been rubberized. it won't feel "cheap" at all. also, to me, the fact that it gives when you compress it a little bit is not a materials problem but a design one. maybe it's not compact enough inside? that back won't bend if it's right up against the battery already. it bends because there's a gap. if they need that gap for cooling or for the touchstone technology, support pegs molded in various places on the inside of the plastic back would've worked as well. those who have worked with motherboards in a computer will know how well those pegs work.
    was looking at other hp products... maybe they got the case from their digital photo frame and tweaked it for the touchpad? or at least made from same source.

Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    i agree. i think the fact that the back is plastic wouldn't have been an issue had it been rubberized. it won't feel "cheap" at all. also, to me, the fact that it gives when you compress it a little bit is not a materials problem but a design one. maybe it's not compact enough inside? that back won't bend if it's right up against the battery already. it bends because there's a gap. if they need that gap for cooling or for the touchstone technology, support pegs molded in various places on the inside of the plastic back would've worked as well. those who have worked with motherboards in a computer will know how well those pegs work.
    I have the official HP case that works with the Touchstone - it feels like tough foam rubber and is cushy and flexible.

I have had no build issues with my TP since day one. It seems to me that those who buy it love it.

I do not apologize for having a TP, or a Pre-. There are things I would like to see different (rubberized back would have been nice), but the critics remind me of the entertainment business - a critic never gets up on stage, but just complains about what the real actors are doing.
  10.    #50  
    First off, I stand by what I said. Make no bones or apologies. If you want to disagree it is certainly in your periphery, as it is in mine.

The screen moves and creates waves in the LCD panel because it is hitting components behind it. Don't believe me? You are more than welcome to come to Best Buy in Stillwater, OK and check it out.

Someone asked if I owned one or why I would want one...well...I went to "own" one and after examining it decided that my initial thoughts of "wanting" one were tempered with love of WebOS...but the hands on experience of the hardware did not deliver the promise.

If you can park your emotional attachment to WebOS for just 5 minutes (like I did) and truly compare the build quality of the TP to either the iPad or Samsung 10.1 Tab you can most certainly see the latter two are built much better and are much more solid. Unless the units of all 3 I examined here are rigged...which I truly doubt...even if I do give in to my conspiracy side.

I am truly sorry some of your feelings are hurt and that a simple statement of my experience has somehow illicited the warring factions! :-)

But...I stand by both my statements and my experience.
    I've had my TP for nearly a month and the device is solid. The case eliminates the slippery-ness of the back. The devices aren't made out of iron and if they're mishandled by someone, they're going to creak and break (and, no one should expect that the retail handling will be with kid gloves). I'm not convinced that those Apple iPad purchasers are being "sold" the products in the store based on handling the device. Generally speaking, these purchasers have been "sold" before they've stepped into the store. The store visit just cements or reinforces their decision to make the purchase. I do the same thing when I visit a BB and look at the TP on display. But, I wanted to own the product because I was "sold" on the features.
    cparsons1 likes this.
    There are no issues with the build quality of my TP...I even managed to drop mine within 24 hrs of the initial purchase.

I got my TP on launch day w/o a case and went on a 7 day cruise.
    While on the island of St Lucia, to my absolute horror, the TP fell out of my back-back while I was bending over to pick up a mango. it fell *gasp* 3 feet... it even bounced

I picked it up and there was scratch on the plastic near the power button...apart from the dreaded "sh#t, its no longer new" feeling I had,The TP did very well..

I've since purchased a case, so all is well.
    blackfireball5 likes this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kipplitz View Post
    The screen moves and creates waves in the LCD panel because it is hitting components behind it. Don't believe me? You are more than welcome to come to Best Buy in Stillwater, OK and check it out.
    Are you seeing these waves when in normal use, or are your forceably squashing the screen in an unnatural way?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    All LCDs will create ripples when pressed hard enough. Doesn't matter which device it is on. Go ahead, try it on the iPad, see if it won't happen too. Doesn't mean you have to do it to see though, or that it is faulty build quality.
    I've been repairing electronics and computers for 15 years now, and I can tell you, those people complaining about cracks in the other thread, are lucky (judging from the photographs posted) this is a launch device to be getting them exchanged. They've all been treated very badly from what I can see. One year from now, a quick examination by any rep would have voided the warranty from the level of bad treatment they have received.
    Back to this 'screen ripple' issue. I see a pattern, like hparsons says, the anti's are out in force. Say enough negative things, and hope sales bombs. It's like telling people they can't physically lick their elbows, 9 out of 10 will try. And it becomes an epidemic. Next thing you know, x-gate occurs, like antenna-gate, or slider-gate, or some such nonsense.
    In this pro-webOS forum, I suspect saner heads will parse it all out, and notice that one person tried to see how hard he could press to see a ripple in the LCD on a demo unit in a store, versus actual owners impressed with their build quality.
    The problem that worries me, is when this kind of 'word of mouth' thing occurs outside of this forum.
    NNJ
    Buy the HP branded case for the TouchPad. It's so close fitting, you are basically getting the rubberized back you're asking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    curious... to anyone that has a case thats compatible with the touchstone... is it the same hard plastic? or does it have a different texture on the back and what kind of texture?
    The HP case feels very much like the rubber that was used on the TouchStone backs for the phones. It's also worth noting, it's a very snug fit, and makes the whole device seem as if it were one unit, instead of a tablet with a case added.
    First off, I stand by what I said. Make no bones or apologies. If you want to disagree it is certainly in your periphery, as it is in mine.
    See, you started off so well, but watch what you did:

If you can park your emotional attachment to WebOS for just 5 minutes (like I did) and truly compare the build quality of the TP to either the iPad or Samsung 10.1 Tab you can most certainly see the latter two are built much better and are much more solid. Unless the units of all 3 I examined here are rigged...which I truly doubt...even if I do give in to my conspiracy side.
    Wrong, wrong wrong. You're assuming it's only you that "parked emotional attachment" to webOS. In other words, it's you that's made a rational decision, and all the rest of us have made irrational decisions.

Sorry, that's simply wrong. As a matter of fact, I'll repeat, it's wrong, wrong wrong.

My TouchPad does not have the screen flex you describe. It simply doesn't. Further, I'd say it's a mistake to base a purchase decision solely, or even largely, over the condition of the display model. Open display models of any device typically go through far more abuse than do the purchased units. I've seen Apple products not working in stores, that doesn't mean the product is poorly built.

Yes, the TouchPad's case is plastic. There are several reasons for that, but I'll tell you one pretty big one, they couldn't have done the TouchStone with an aluminum case. That doesn't mean they did it wrong, or worse, they simply did it differently.

If I had purchased a $600 tablet, and it the flex issue you describe, it'd be returned to the store, and I would open the replacement before taking it home.

In short, your experiences (and your emotional attachments) simply aren't universal. Don't pretend that you're making a more rational decison than those that decided differently. We bought what works for us, you're welcome to do the same.
    I bought a release date tp and noticed some flexing of the case on the speaker side. Not the glass, but the case. It makes a minor clicking sound if i push down on that area of the device. It is really minor and I don't think justifies a return, although I did talk to the sales man at best buy about the problem. My concern is more that it will get worse over time.

Two friends who have touchpads do not have this issue.

I love my tp, but do dislike the case.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    BTW , my experiences with TP are great. I have not experienced any issues you mentioned. Everything looks rock solid. The only small issue I noticed was my TP's center button has a play.

Oh well, that would cost me a bit to come over there. With FAA shutdown and air fares up, I am afraid I cannot make it Stillwater to verify your claims

Someone asked if I owned one or why I would want one...well...I went to "own" one and after examining it decided that my initial thoughts of "wanting" one were tempered with love of WebOS...but the hands on experience of the hardware did not deliver the promise.
    My issues are to do with software not hardware.

I am truly sorry some of your feelings are hurt and that a simple statement of my experience has somehow illicited the warring factions! :-)

But...I stand by both my statements and my experience.
    Thank you.
    My experiences with TP are great.So its hard to believe your claims about hardware quality.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You know what, have someone port the webOS on iPad2 hardware. You will be happy then.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast