Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes
    So, we've got about a dozen people that own it, and say it's rock solid. Two that don't own it, and say it's junk. One that owns it, and says he's having problems. I think the responses speak volumes.
    Mine is rock solid as well, had it for three weeks now and just got the HP case last week. No complaints about the build quality at all. Its leaps and bounds ahead of the pre.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    flex in the screen isn't equal to poor build quality.
    True, it may be a design problem, rather than a build quality problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    As with the overwhelming majority of people reporting in, my TouchPad is rock solid, really impressive build quality. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?
    Mine, the two I "sold", and all the TPads in two Office Depots, one Staples, three Wal-Marts, and a Best Buy were all solid. That's at least 15 units, all solid. (in an unrelated note, the demo app hosed at least 5 of them until I rebooted them and then they were fine. HP needs to find an alternate approach..)
    i love my touchpad. i think it's built solidly enough for day-to-day use. i think the only reason why people why people are questioning it's build quality, and i have to say that i kinda agree, is hp's decision to use a plastic casing. it's ok to use that material for their printers because all other printers use plastic. but for tablets, it's been trending towards some type of metal.

that said, i don't think that's enough of a minus for me to miss out on all this webOS goodness . with a folio on, i probably won't even notice it. not to mention that in 6 months, i have a feeling that those people making replacement backs for iphones will start making replacements casings for the TP as well.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    True, it may be a design problem, rather than a build quality problem.
    a little flexibility is not a flaw.

if I press hard on the hood of my car, it will flex quite a bit, and it is made of steel. It doesn't mean my car has issues with cheap material or build quality.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 07/25/2011 at 09:57 PM.
    blackfireball5 likes this.
    Nope, lust checked mine. No flex.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    sledge007 likes this.
    Had mine now for 25 days and have no hardware or construction issues at all.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    a little flexibility is not a flaw.

if I press hard on the hood of my car, it will flex quite a bit, and it is made of steel. It doesn't mean my car has issues with cheap material or build quality.
    Yeah, I bet you don't have quite so much play in your pistons or your alternator or your windshield. Don't make a silly point like that.
    the pistons move up and down quite a distance, the wipers are rubber so they flex a lot, and if it has an alternator (do they still have those?) it spins 360 degrees. The point is that a bit of flex in the screen or back has nothing to do with build quality. If the entire screen is loose, or if the gap isn't even around the edge... But there is nothing about the TP that says the plastic case should be completely rigid.

maybe it is intended to absorb shock when you drop it.
    Mine seems solid to me as well. No flex or wierd screen stuff like the op mentioned. No cracks. Nice and solid and shiny. Just got myself a pair of Beats Solo HD headphones to go with it. Sounds awesome! It really boggles my mind that people still use the 'it's too heavy' argument. My God, even 4 year old children don't complain about it's weight. The people that have issues with the weight must be gimped or something. God forbid if they ever have to carry a laptop! They must be completely exhausted!
    sledge007 likes this.
    it gets pretty heavy when you hold it with one hand for 5 hours shooting angry birds with the other hand...
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Agree with the op. It does feel cheap. Why they selected that cheap plastic for the back cover is baffling. You can actually put slight pressure on the back cover and it will make wavy spots on the screen. I posted this on my "10 items" thread and someone actually claimed the plastic is better than aluminum or other alloy since it won't slip out of your hand. I am typing on iPad now and it is not slipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    Agree with the op. It does feel cheap. Why they selected that cheap plastic for the back cover is baffling. You can actually put slight pressure on the back cover and it will make wavy spots on the screen. I posted this on my "10 items" thread and someone actually claimed the plastic is better than aluminum or other alloy since it won't slip out of your hand. I am typing on iPad now and it is not slipping.
    Funny, my 42" Sharp Aquos, 32" Samsung LCD, 1000w Onkyo system, and my Xbox360 Slim are all made of....*gasp* Shiny, piano-black plastic!! What cheap low quality product they must all be!!??

/smh
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Funny, my 42" Sharp Aquos, 32" Samsung LCD, 1000w Onkyo system, and my Xbox360 Slim are all made of....*gasp* Shiny, piano-black plastic!! What cheap low quality product they must all be!!??

/smh
    You don't hold those devices in your hand either... And the new Xbox does look cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by kipplitz View Post
    Hello all,

First let me preface this with I still have a Pre on Sprint (since launch day), granted I am on my third piece of hardware, and truly do enjoy WebOS...wish Sprint would get the Pre 3...and want to love the Touchpad. Ok...deep breath...

I finally got my hands on a Touchpad (3 of them) at my local Best Buy and I have such mixed feelings. The software seems ok but the build quality of the Touchpad itself...it is very, very dissappointing. All three units, including one fresh out of the box, exhibited poor build quality and if you pressed on the screen on any of the four sides, it actually flexed and caused screen issues. I mean the screen actually pressed in and you could feel it hit components and where it hit them the LCD screen went bad.

The case feels very cheap and does not exude a quality build. Please, take this the right way, but the iPad and Samsung Glaxy Tab 10.1 are built extremely well, once you compare these to the Touchpad...it just failed.

I wanted a Touchpad and love WebOS...but I will not give HP $500 for a tablet that is not built anywhere near the quality standards set by other vendors...even discounting that...the Touchpad just feels cheap.

Sorry, not looking to offend, but just being honest.

My girl has an iPad and we both hate that it does not run Flash and wanted to move to the Touchpad, but in all honesty, it looks like a Samsung is the way to go.

Why do they (HPalm) keep dropping the ever loving ball? I know I am rooting for the underdog but they have to throw me a bone sometime! :-)
    i don't seen issues with the build quality and all I can say is - good luck with whatever you choose. If the Touchpad just feels cheap to you and it bothers you, why would you consider buying it?

Are you a QA person on hardware builds or is this just an opinion? I'm being serious, because you are not stating a fact with comments like "but I will not give HP $500 for a tablet that is not built anywhere near the quality standards set by other vendors" or "Why do they (HPalm) keep dropping the ever loving ball?" Well, it could be a fact you won't give HP $500, but I feel the build quality standards is again your preference - which is your right.

Again, these are just your opinion and if this is how you feel, enjoy the nice hardware on the Samsung running a mobile OS you don't like as much. Then again, it's very important to get something your friends will see and say "hey, that thing looks cool" before they even play with it.

We all have our opinions and again, all I can do is wish you good luck with what ever you decide.
    sledge007 likes this.
    The problem listed is quite subjective, why not posting a pic or video to demonstrate?
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    compared to my asus transformer, this is rock solid.

no creaks when I squeeze it, no light bleed, no loose feeling buttons.

just a solid bit of kit.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    My TP is also solid. I am sure 95% of people keep their tablet (regardless of brand) in a case, so who really ends up caring about the back?
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    Yes and your ipad doesn't do inductive charging.
    blackfireball5 likes this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast