Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Are people really waking and typing on a tablet computer around manhole openings.

Wow.
    Add talking to that .
    Last edited by gbp; 07/26/2011 at 10:28 PM.
    DJeremyC likes this.
    Are people really waking and typing on a tablet computer around manhole openings.

Wow.
    Here in San Francisco you would be surprised how many people walk around downtown typing away on their tablets (and talking on their phones).

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Add talking to that .
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Here in San Francisco you would be surprised how many people walk around downtown typing away on their tablets (and talking on their phones).
    Well, guess that explains at least part of those iSales.
    Rnp, DJeremyC and Jonesey like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    BTW, I'm a little scared to start a new post on "secondary observations" about the TP.
    are you kidding? You produced one of the most interesting and informative discussions, and managed to approach it without any overworked android/ipad talking points.

sure, we had to delete some mean posts to keep the thread from exploding, but it was worth it. I can't wait to hear your secondary observations!
    OldSkoolVWLover and Rnp like this.
    Well, guess that explains at least part of those iSales.
    To level set, I have an iPad (1st Gen) and a Windows Phone 7 (running the Mango beta). I now have a TouchPad and I like the device, but it needs some serious growing up. Hopefully HP has received some of this feedback from customers and are addressing it soon.

After a week, here are the top items that I DO NOT LIKE:

1. The browser is horrible. It is barely functional. You know when you go to Starbucks and you have to agree to the terms to use their ATT wifi? Well, that language is all stacked on top of other sections. Try browsing through photos on facebook -- it is a challenge. The browser also scores the lowest of any modern browser on the acid 3 test.

2. What is the difference between APPS and DOWNLOADS? So confusing.

3. Lack of quality apps hurts big time. The Windows Phone "only" has 25,000 apps at this time, but most of them are high quality. HP could take a lesson from how Microsoft is courting app developers.

4. Why no folders to organize my apps? Maybe it's because of the lack of apps. I would like to have a "Reading" foldeer and one for "Games" and "Movies and TV" etc...

5. This is the least fluid of any of the devices I own. My phone running Mango is the smoothest, followed by the ipad, followed by the HP. The HP sometimes stutters as you navigate and browse.

6. Button clicking doesn't always work. When I try to tap an on-screen button I see the little animation on screen, but it doesn't always activate the control. After several attempts, it usually kicks in.

7. This is just a learning item for me, but in a multitasking environment would expect to see a close option or an "X" -- with the TouchPad it is a two-step action to hit the home button to get to the task list, then you throw the app away. What should take one tap, now takes a click and throwing motion or two throws.

8. I guess the only way to switch between browser instances is to go to the task list? I don't see a "tab" option anywhere.

9. The hardware itself is OK, but doesn't feel as solid as the ipad.

10. Camera? Where do I start here? First of all, there is only a front camera. Why is there no rear facing camera? Don't tell me "it doesn't make sense" because HP included both cameras on their Slate 500. Now, how in the heck could someone ship WebOS without a camera app?!?!? <--- CRAZY.

11 (new). I want to use Bing everywhere. So why is Bing the default map provider, but Bing isn't available as one of the built-in search providers? This is really inconsistent and a little confusing. I am on a Google-free diet right now and this experiment is difficult with the HP.
    these are the experiences I wanted newbies to avoid..and hence have HP release updates quickly. Most people have a lot of options and are not that patient. I hope this drives the point home.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    these are the experiences I wanted newbies to avoid..and hence have HP release updates quickly. Most people have a lot of options and are not that patient. I hope this drives the point home.
    precentral HD app...links are not working...I had to switch it to browser so that I can click on links within the posts.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    are you kidding? You produced one of the most interesting and informative discussions, and managed to approach it without any overworked android/ipad talking points.

sure, we had to delete some mean posts to keep the thread from exploding, but it was worth it. I can't wait to hear your secondary observations!
    Agree. I may challenge you a bit, but this has been a good discussion. I don't mind anything like this if it improves awareness & people learn things. As critical as I can be & as much as I can disagree, thanks for taking the time.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    osu9400, there actually is a way to add Bing search to your TouchPad, but you have to work for it. See my "How do I..?" thread from my signature, then search for "engine" on it. I added Bing to my TP.
    Why does Bing not have the opensearch xml? Freakin I got a notification that I could add ESPN to just type... stupid bing.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Adding Bing requires some steps. There is a thread on this. It appears that Bing.com does not include the proper xml to offer to automatically add itself when you visit the website. I just got it working as my default search engine.

Oops, I reply'd immediately upon seeing the first post. Now I see that this issue has been covered. Excuse me.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    So how long before San Fran institutes the same "Texting while walking" ban as other major cities have started doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    So how long before San Fran institutes the same "Texting while walking" ban as other major cities have started doing?
    In Texas, we don't ban them, we just run 'em down. Some of them learn pretty quickly.
    Jonesey likes this.
    LOL @ some of them learn
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    you know what, guys? I've read all these n-answers, trying to ridicule just one example, clearly marked as "just an example" - and very creative one, at that - and it is just sad, how some people are prepared to go to quite a lenghts, just to avoid admitting they were wrong.

Say something funny about all the other use cases for a rear camera, I've posted. That makes for such a valuable knowledge sharing, and expanding one's horizons!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    2) Not sure where you were going with this one...for the Touchpad, they made it using webkit technologies...thus you have apps, and for some things that you also complain not having an "app for that" you can use the browser favorites. EX: Don't need a precentral app as you can just bring up the full website. You only need apps for phones since it run on a slower cell 3G radio and needs to be optimized for screen size.

3) Read my point #2. Plus the apps out thus far have been quality apps, so arguement is null. Now, there is a few apps taht are still missing, and hopefully these will come soon.

1. Apps are for more than just replacements for flash. Apps are designed for smaller screens as well as for touchscreen gestures and such. They are better optimized for tablet use than most of the direct websites. The UI is better for touch screens on apps than the browser site is. The browser is not a full replacement for apps. Apps are not simply a generic replacement only necessary to replicate flash based web sites.

2. "The apps out thus far have been quality apps". You've either got a low bar for what you consider 'quality' or you're whitewashing a very real TouchPad problem. Lack of apps, both quantity and quality. Most of the pay apps pale in comparison to free apps on iOS and Android offering the same features. The tiny handful of apps actually optimized for the TouchPad (and not just a little phone app playing in a tiny rectangle in the middle of the screen) perform like beta software. Full of bugs and not worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    OP:

also, do you like the touchpad facebook app?
    Looks pretty, functions horribly. Loads up about 25-50% of what's on your 'wall'. Skips over the rest. You can do a side by side comparison. Open up your news feed on the app and open up your news feed on a web browser.
    Think bigger! It is not just about snapshots. What if I have an inventory app for a tablet. As I enter inventory I could use the camera to scan the barcode. Can you image doing this with a front facing camera?
    Thinking small is exactly the problem for people pooh poohing the front facing camera on a tablet. Your example is a good one, as well as 'augmented reality' features such as overlays of data as you point your camera at things, etc.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    With regard to "Apps", I've found that I really don't need as many apps because the Flash Implementation works so well. All I do is add Browser Shortcuts to my Launcher, and that's it's just like an App. Don't get me wrong though, because a dedicated app formatted for the Touchpad would be better, but the lack of apps is by no means a dealbreaker (in my opinion). Especially at the new price point!
    Pete I think we get it, you don't like the touchpad.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast