Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Never Happened..

if by folders you mean launcher pages, than thats a different story.. i think the OP meant actual folders though.. which is a great way to organize with out needing to add more launcher pages.

with Just Type its all Moot i guess , id still like to see actual folders in webOS though
    Yes, I meant launcher pages.

I do think there are uses for them, and folders, even with just type.

I have a bunch of programs I rarely use, so when I do want to use them, I end up hunting around. It was much easier when I had my Media, Games, Travel, etc. launch pages. Grouping things together becomes a requirement as you add more programs (and yes, I am aware that most smart phone users barely download any programs).

And folders are nice for organizing data - I like being able to drag and drop stuff from my desktop to box.net or my touchpad or server. Media and documents especially. Once HP fixes HPPlay and fixes Photos and Videos, I suppose the media issue also goes away.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Thinking like that will never get Webos anywhere.
    This could simply be marketing freedom & vapor as far as real substance, but if you want a rear camera, I have a feeling all you have to do is wait. This is from the HP Summit 2011. It's a promo video:

Skip ahead to 2:26 if you don't want to watch the whole thing. Who knows, but it's HP, and they aren't running out of money anytime soon. I just hope they're smart with it.
    Hey OP. Thanks for checking out this forum and giving webOS a try. I think you have many valid complaints.

While I know some people around here mock the use of a rear camera on a tablet the size of a TP, it is pretty much considered a standard these days whether or not it is useful. I am not aware of any other tablet that is coming out this year that does not have a rear facing except the TP. I think it's safe to say the next version of the TP will have a rear facing camera. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumored 7" tablet coming this fall has one.

The only thing that puzzled me was your complaint about task management /multitasking. Looking at this thread, I'm not alone. An "x" to close an app is the antithesis of what webOS is about. I assume you are honest about your "newbie" status and hence have never used a webOS phone where gestures are essential to navigating around the device. The TP though is the first webOS device where gestures were deemed not necessary due to the size of the screen and "consumer research" although plenty of us around here disagree. They added the upswipe to card view gesture in a later build of the OS after hearing the complaints. The upswipe gesture not only brings you to card view, it also activates the launcher. It's a UI philosophy where multitasking and gestures are at the heart of the webOS UI. The idea is you don't really need constantly be opening and closing apps to efficiently work. Unfortunately some of the bugs and lagginess you complained about sometimes keeps that from working in an optimal way.

Thanks for your honest feedback.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Swipe up twice. Once to go to card view and once to close the card. This is different than the iPad, but is in no way worse. In fact, as you move in and out of card view you get a good idea of what's running. I prefer that to the double click to get to task view on the iPad.
    A two finger swipe will take you from any maximized card view directly into the launcher, eliminating a step. Similarly a quick double-tap on the home button does the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    11 (new). Why is Bing the default map provider, but Bing isn't available as one of the built-in search providers? I am on a Google-free diet right now and this experiment is difficult with the HP.
    Because they had Google Maps before and Google was a complete rock in the road for them so they ditched them. The Bing Maps is tons better than Google's horrible app for older WebOS devices.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The fact that IE6 is still even a consideration at all right should tell you how long that'll take...
    I read a stat that 40% of enterprises don't have an upgrade path off of IE6 for web enabled apps they use (e.g. Rumba, Quality Center, Filenet, etc.,.) It's not so much that these companies don't provide an updated product. It's that the enterprises using the outdated versions don't want to cough up the money to upgrade when IE6 still works for them AND MS is still going to support IE6 until 2014. It's a BIG problem.
    One more point to clarify, I never said I wanted an "X" to close an app. My point was that in a multitasking systems such as this, most users expect a single one step kill process. I hate this about my Android tablet. We've grown up with this. It's baked into our being. With WebOS, a single close step is now a click + swipe, or swipe + swipe. Does anyone see my point that new users will think this is extra work to perform the most basic of end-user functions?
    I think the perspective on this is quite different when you're coming from a webOS phone vs starting afresh with TP. With the phone, it's so easy. Just swipe up with your thumb for card view, then swipe up the card to flick it off the screen. You can do this with one hand and it's actually fun to do and doesn't feel like work where you either press "X" or long press and choose "kill" option. I can see how this can feel more cumbersome on TP b/c it does take more holding and balancing effort than a phone to do 2 upswipes.

But I'm telling you, there's a certain sense of fun and satisfaction from performing the upswipe and killing the cards. You don't get that from closing apps on other OS. QNX (the shameless ripoff of webOS) has the Xs you mention. It's a PITA to close apps and it feels like work. Just give it some time. Eventually the upswipes will be "baked into your being".
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Just goes to show that putting a crappy camera on the back just encourages people to use it. Should not be done, IMO.
    What's wrong with a rear camera tho? Better to have and have the option of using than not have, right?

Before everyone goes off and says, "do you know how dumb you look trying to take pics with a tablet" or "who uses the rear camera on a tablet anyway", my co-worker was telling me that when he drops off his kids at daycare, he saw one of the ladies come out and take pics of the kids with her ipad, which she then uploads to the daycare website where the parents are able to check in during the day. It doesn't matter if you don't have a use for such but there's always a way to use it by someone.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    YES!!! You get it too. Let the end users decide how to use the tools. The point is, give them the tools!!

Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    What's wrong with a rear camera tho? Better to have and have the option of using than not have, right?

Before everyone goes off and says, "do you know how dumb you look trying to take pics with a tablet" or "who uses the rear camera on a tablet anyway", my co-worker was telling me that when he drops off his kids at daycare, he saw one of the ladies come out and take pics of the kids with her ipad, which she then uploads to the daycare website where the parents are able to check in during the day. It doesn't matter if you don't have a use for such but there's always a way to use it by someone.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    One more website for your list... Youtube. Try watching a video in youtube.com (not the app) and adjusting the volume on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

2. Can you give a few examples (beyond starbucks) where the wp7 browser is a better experience? And why? I want to test a couple of things.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Let's steer this conversation back to the Touchpad. If you want to discuss Windows Phone 7, there is always the Other Handheld forum or our sister site WPCentral. Thanks.
    Thanks, and I would add bringing the iPad2 to the mix.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    BTW, I'm a little scared to start a new post on "secondary observations" about the TP.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    BTW, I'm a little scared to start a new post on "secondary observations" about the TP.
    Why ? just start another thread. The starbucks was an issue for me too.
    One more website for your list... Youtube. Try watching a video in youtube.com (not the app) and adjusting the volume on the website.
    I'll video this later for you, if I remember. Double tap the video. The double tap allows you full function within flash. You can tap volume, you can drag it. I had to teach this to my 3 yr. old for all the Disney flash games she plays. It's not intuitive until you know it, so it definitely should be explained front & center....else you'll cause frustration with the casual customer.

Curious of how this is implemented elsewhere in mobile versions of flash? Any details anyone can share? I don't have any other flash enabled mobile hardware to compare to.

***As promised, a little demo vid of some double tap action. ***
    Last edited by steffej3; 07/26/2011 at 06:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I'll video this later for you, if I remember. Double tap the video. The double tap allows you full function within flash. You can tap volume, you can drag it. I had to teach this to my 3 yr. old for all the Disney flash games she plays. It's not intuitive until you know it, so it definitely should be explained front & center....else you'll cause frustration with the casual customer.

Curious of how this is implemented elsewhere in mobile versions of flash? Any details anyone can share? I don't have any other flash enabled mobile hardware to compare to.
    I forgot about this too. Worked perfect on ustream as well.

I will say the double tap and nav of flash can be tough on the veer screen but havent had problems on the tp.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    10) WHY, WHY, WHY would you need a read camera?!? Who has to hold up a 10in tablet to take pics. This is down with better and smaller devices such as digital cameras, or smartphones. Then use Box.net to upload and you're done. Plus the Touchpad has one of the best front-facing cameras for Skyping I have seen thus far, as the Pre models had before it.
    I don't know how many times this whole "a camera - WHY, oh WHY, OMG, how stupid idea!" thing was already answered, but let me do this again: because there are SO MUCH MANY OTHER THINGS THAT YOU COULD DO WITH REAR-FACING CAMERA, other than "taking photos", for feck's sake!

Evernote, making quick "electronic" version of paper document to have it on a go, Augmented Reality. Sending email with a quick snap, on the go, or annotating it first, and then sending. Google googles, barcode readers, price comparison, product tags hot-linking.

Not to mention other tens if not hundred potential, creative usages - like that keyboard for Android, that shows you a picture on screen, what camera is looking at - so you can actually type and walk, without the risk of falling down an open manhole. Just an example.

...is it enough now, do you have your answer "WHY" now?
    I've used my iPad 2 camera for a dozen things, and not one of them involved taking a picture for the sake of having a picture of something.
    I don't think a rear camera should EVER be a deal breaker considering it's 10 inches big, and it definitely shouldn't be a standard, however I wouldn't be against a rear camera on the Touchpad. I don't think it's stupid but it's not something you should complain about.
    Quote Originally Posted by mich.bushi View Post
    I don't know how many times this whole "a camera - WHY, oh WHY, OMG, how stupid idea!" thing was already answered, but let me do this again: because there are SO MUCH MANY OTHER THINGS THAT YOU COULD DO WITH REAR-FACING CAMERA, other than "taking photos", for feck's sake!

Evernote, making quick "electronic" version of paper document to have it on a go, Augmented Reality. Sending email with a quick snap, on the go, or annotating it first, and then sending. Google googles, barcode readers, price comparison, product tags hot-linking.

Not to mention other tens if not hundred potential, creative usages - like that keyboard for Android, that shows you a picture on screen, what camera is looking at - so you can actually type and walk, without the risk of falling down an open manhole. Just an example.

...is it enough now, do you have your answer "WHY" now?
    Are people really waking and typing on a tablet computer around manhole openings.

Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Are people really waking and typing on a tablet computer around manhole openings.

Wow.
    lol
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast