Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
    I understand most of the OP's complaints. I am also not a fan of any one particular brand. I could easily be just as happy with a WP7 or Android phone. The only thing that keeps me tied to my webOS phone (Pixi) is the excellent hardware design. I've said it before, but the Pixi's hardware is damn near perfection IMO. Definitely not everyone's preference, but it is mine.

Anyway, that said... I agree that the lack of a rear camera and having to make two motions instead of one to close apps are non-issues. No tablet has a decent rear camera--most phone cameras are actually better than tablet cameras--and holding a tablet up to take a pic is just silly anyway. Everyone has a phone with a camera, so putting a crappier one on a tablet is pointless. Yes, it's a feature that HP can't include on its spec list, and some people make judgments based on how long the feature list is, but that's silly, IMO. You're not going to use it but once or twice before you decide it's crappy, a hassle to use, and made redundant by your phone's camera, so there's no reason to knock points off for not having it.

As for the closing apps... Gestures are what makes webOS. Yes, there's no X, but that means you don't have to hunt around the screen and look to see where the developer decided to put the X or the "Close" button on the app. Swiping up gets you to multi-task view, then if you want to close it, swipe it away. IMO once you learn the gestures, they become so intuitive that performing them--regardless if it takes one more physical step--is so fast that it doesn't matter. I'm a big, big fan of gestures and use them even in my browser on my PC (Opera). Opera has Xs and whatnot too, just like any other Windows program, but I never use them because the gestures are so much more intuitive, even if they take two motions to make, like down/right for closing a tab.

So in a nutshell, once you "train" yourself on gestures, gestures win every time. Being brand new to webOS, this is not going to be apparent to you, but if you stick with it, I'll bet you will eventually agree.

That said, I will not be buying a TouchPad because of the build quality issues. But I still love my Pixi.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    There was actually a good thread on the usage of rear cameras on tablets over on Gdgt the other day: Do you ever see people take photos with an iPad (or any tablet) in public? - gdgt

What's most interesting is how it's viewed by us 'techies' and it's the common consumer that's actually making full use of the device's capabilities.
    Just goes to show that putting a crappy camera on the back just encourages people to use it. Should not be done, IMO.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    OP:

instead of browsing photos on facebook, try opening the Photo app and browsing your facebook pics from there...

how do you like that experience? It seems to be getting high praise, but I'm not a big facebook user.

also, do you like the touchpad facebook app?

I think your perspective coming from WP7 is interesting, especially if you don't like tossing cards...

ps, I hope you can add a pre2 or Veer into your collection to see a more mature webOS user experience.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by satterwc View Post
    There is the whole organization of apps, but there is also the lack of organization for data. If I want to manually put office docs on my TP, it seems that I have to do so by emailing them to myself and saving them, otherwise the apps don't recognize files placed in the downloads folder via USB.
    just use your box.net account and the 50gb of free space. Integration with touchpad is great. Same with dropbox.

This is much easier for me than emailing stuff to myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Just goes to show that putting a crappy camera on the back just encourages people to use it. Should not be done, IMO.
    I guess that boils down to how you use it. Not sure who originally said this to appropriately give credit, but sometimes the best camera is the one you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Thinking like that will never get Webos anywhere.
    osu9400 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    One more point to clarify, I never said I wanted an "X" to close an app. My point was that in a multitasking systems such as this, most users expect a single one step kill process. We've grown up with this. It's baked into our being. With WebOS, a single close step is now a click + swipe, or swipe + swipe. Does anyone see my point that new users will think this is extra work to perform the most basic of end-user functions?
    You do realize that you specifically said multi-tasking, yet the only way closing an app would be a 1-click affair would be for the current app you're working in. Would you care to compare the steps involved in closing an app that is minimized? In my opinion, webOS handles closing apps much better than any other system out there. I don't have to hunt for that little 'x' I can upswipe then toss the card away.

- posted from my HP TouchPad
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Yes! You get it. And to the poster who says a tablet camera is crappier than those in tablets.. You are so stretching to make a point. Why does it have to be crappier? Why can't it be the same camera? Why did hp put two cameras in the slate. Hp should put it in and let app developers and users decide if and how to use it. why the resistance? Is it blind loyalty to justify a design decision?

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If you take a look at how other people use and view a feature and not just yourself, then you might find justification for its purpose.
    I guess that boils down to how you use it. Not sure who originally said this to appropriately give credit, but sometimes the best camera is the one you have.
    I will always have my phone on me, I won't always have a tablet with me.

OrionAntares#CB and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post

I generally always have my phone with me as well, but the rare occasion does arise when I have my tablet that it just makes more sense (or only option due to time constraint) to use it over my phone.

Take today for example (crazy day to say the least)..

I was using my tablet to read some RSS feeds on the couch when out of nowhere I heard a loud screech and then a bam. Looked out my window and a high speed chase just ended right at my house (with a foot pursuit in action).

Thanks to my tablet with its video recording capabilities, I quickly opened the camera app and recorded the whole thing ( ).

Yeah, I could have went into my office and grabbed my phone, but by the time I did that half the action would have been over.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I do use the app but for functions it cannot handle it fires up the browser. Once you're in the browser you probably just stay there.

The app itself is ok, not great. It's a little confusing. Sometimes there is a little handle in the lower left corner to go back to the previous page, sometimes there is an iOS like back arrow in the top left.

The app is better than the iPad version.... There is no iPad version yet. Ha ha. Rumor has it that facebook is creating the official Facebook app for iPad and will be out next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    OP:

instead of browsing photos on facebook, try opening the Photo app and browsing your facebook pics from there...

how do you like that experience? It seems to be getting high praise, but I'm not a big facebook user.

also, do you like the touchpad facebook app?

I think your perspective coming from WP7 is interesting, especially if you don't like tossing cards...

ps, I hope you can add a pre2 or Veer into your collection to see a more mature webOS user experience.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Think bigger! It is not just about snapshots. What if I have an inventory app for a tablet. As I enter inventory I could use the camera to scan the barcode. Can you image doing this with a front facing camera?

Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    You havent used ie9, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Wait IE is still a consideration??

Sorry couldn't help it, I use IE for 1 web based app from a 3rd party vendor, they may have even fixed the software to work with FF, but it's alright easy have the one windows running this app (when you login it pops out into a new window so it can't be ran in a tab anyways).
    I generally always have my phone with me as well, but the rare occasion does arise when I have my tablet that it just makes more sense (or only option due to time constraint) to use it over my phone.

Take today for example (crazy day to say the least)..

I was using my tablet to read some RSS feeds on the couch when out of nowhere I heard a loud screech and then a bam. Looked out my window and a high speed chase just ended right at my house (with a foot pursuit in action).

Thanks to my tablet with its video recording capabilities, I quickly opened the camera app and recorded the whole thing ( ).

Yeah, I could have went into my office and grabbed my phone, but by the time I did that half the action would have been over.
    Even in that situation, it would have been quicker for me to use my phone (seriously, it is almost always with me).

Just to clarify, I am not going to claim that cameras have no place on a tablet, just that I don't consider the lack of one a huge deal. Yeah, given that every other tablet has them, HP should have included one. But I'm not sitting here kicking myself because the TouchPad doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    Think bigger! It is not just about snapshots. What if I have an inventory app for a tablet. As I enter inventory I could use the camera to scan the barcode. Can you image doing this with a front facing camera?
    Actually, I can imagine doing that with front-facing camera. But seriously, can't practice that since we don't have a camera app!

Look, I see what you're saying about potential future uses, but is your critique of the TouchPad really based on things you might be able to do if you had some future need? Are the Android/iPhone tablets selling for their inventory potential? Right now, having cameras is a gimmick, perhaps a cool one, but still a gimmick (I can live without ZombieBooth, believe me). And as I just said above, HP probably should have included a rear-facing one as well, but to me it's not a huge issue, or even a medium one.
    OP, you make some valid points. The Starbucks login issue is something I had on day one, and it bugged me to no end. The un-registered taps are a pain, and have been there since webOS 1.0. I have zero faith this will be corrected in the next update - it seems innate to webOS.

But as others have said, some of your complaints are less issues that need addressing, and more functions of the OS that don't seem to jive with the way you work. Tossing away cards, for example, is the gesture that gets the most "oohs" and "aahs" from people who ask to see my Veer in action. As someone said before, gestures make webOS. On no other platform is the act of closing, switching, and organizing apps as much fun. Certainly, I've never felt anything of the sort when stabbing at yet another dull "x."

As for the rear-facing camera: the resistance to that idea which you're seeing here, IMO, is not blind defense of an existing design choice, but annoyance with what is perceived as a frivolous feature. I agree that more choices are better, and if you can put something in the hardware, do it ... but there's always a cost. Cameras aren't that expensive, but they do drive up the cost somewhat.

Plus, HP would have had to code a new camera app for webOS 3.0, which they were already rushing to finish so they could push it out the door only a year after a major merger. Personally, I'm glad they put their resources elsewhere. Business and augmented-reality use aside, the only purpose for a camera on a tablet is to make its user look like a moron.
    @osu9400 - I understand your complaints regarding some performance issues with webOS and totally agree, but let's clear something -
    Mango introduced cards as way of multitasking to WP7, so how are you not used to it? Is it so much different and superior to webOS card management?
    Regarding browser, you know that webOS browser supports flash and loads full web pages with flash content. If I remember correctly, there is no flash support on WP7 browser (maybe Mango changed this) which mainly improves loading times and stability of browser, but it lowers browsing experience.
    Regarding just type - does Mango updates contacts search capability of WP7? Original WP7 cant search contacts from any other location except contacts app, and when it searches, it could only match it by exact order you entered it. You cant search contacts by last name if you entered it by name first and than last name. It doesn't support smart search capabilities. Is this changed by Mango? If not, it's little bit strange to me that you as WP7 user are not impressed with just type, and your only impression is shock because Bing is absent from search providers. Limited search capabilities of WP7 was main reason I haven't go with WP7. I know Mango greatly improves search on WP7, but it doesn't meets webOS standards yet as far as I know.

Bottom line, lots of your complaints do stand, but some are absurd. I'm pretty critical about webOS, but from time to time I have something nice to say about it too. From your posts, I haven't found any pro, just cons.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/26/2011 at 02:35 AM.
    I barely ever user my WP7 phone anymore. I have grown to hate the OS and actually miss Windows Mobile when using it. In fact the only part of WP7 that I actually like is the email client. My random thoughts about WP7.....

1. no video chat at all (no front facing camera)
    2. the live icons felt like a gimmick to me and added little value
    3. the app selection screen is an absolute joke. One long column of apps
    4. I found the app store impossible to navigate. Even when I knew the name of the app I wanted to download, I often couldn't find it
    5. I found the font way to small (I am old) for my eyes.

I have to admit, I haven't tried Mango yet (but I have little desire).
    Let's steer this conversation back to the Touchpad. If you want to discuss Windows Phone 7, there is always the Other Handheld forum or our sister site WPCentral. Thanks.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast