Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have my TouchPad in the standard HP TP case (which is great, no complaints there). When I have the TP case oriented in the laying down angle, say for typing on the virtual keyboard, and hit the full-screen option for an embedded video (e.g. YouTube) - the video orientation plays upside down in full screen. When it does this, I can't get the accelerometer to recognize the orientation and flip the video. When I exit full-screen mode and move the TP, it recognizes the orientation and flips the proper way. This is the only instance in which my TP has a screen orientation issue, so I assume this to be a software bug.

Anyone else seeing this issue?
    Video plays oriented with the speakers towards you and in no other orientation. You can use the TouchPad case in keyboard mode in that orientation.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    There is a reson for this...

When the TP goes to play a full screen video it will always orient the video witht he speakers to the bottom of the video.

This is due to the fact that the speakers are stereo and have to orient the left and right speakers correctly for stereo sound.

-Gromet
    Apple iPad2 64GB WiFi +3G (Verizon)
    Apple iPhone4 32GB (AT&T)
    Touchpad 32GB WiFi - RETURNED
    Veer 4G - SOLD
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I really don't understand why they can't play the left sound through the right speaker, and vice-versa.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, Derek and grometnj. That sounds like a practical reason from an audio standpoint, but is not very user friendly / intuitive overall. I would rather sacrifice the Left-Right stereo authenticity for the sake of not having to flip the tablet 180 degrees to watch the video. 99.999% of the time, stereo audio is not that important to me on a tablet.
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    I really don't understand why they can't play the left sound through the right speaker, and vice-versa.
    Good point.

The same problem for phones as well. Why can't they just flip the video/youtube?

Sigh.
    Also, what I noticed is that it is oriented in a specific way so it can sit on the touchstone and charge while playing.
    You have it in the case the wrong way.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    You have it in the case the wrong way.
    Thank you! I was waiting on someone else to say this since I've already brought it up in another thread. It's probably more the op is using the case flap wrong. Its designed to go in one orientation (with the speakers down) but some people have flipped it around backward for some reason and get confused when the videos are inverted. Speakers should never be pointed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    Thank you! I was waiting on someone else to say this since I've already brought it up in another thread. It's probably more the op is using the case flap wrong. Its designed to go in one orientation (with the speakers down) but some people have flipped it around backward for some reason and get confused when the videos are inverted. Speakers should never be pointed up.
    1. In webOS, the home button is ALWAYS on the right hand side.
    2. The case lays down from the standing orientation by pushing the flap out towards the back. The end of the flap should sit at 45° relative to the TPad back.
    3. That is all.
  11.    #11  
    I must admit, my first reaction to this suggestion was to think, "what do they think I am, stupid, not knowing how to use a simple case???" But, then I took a look at some TP case pictures online and realized that there was another way to stand up the case in "recline" pose.

I'm going to blame this on the case for my iPad 1 conditioning me to use my new TP case in an incorrect way.

Thanks guys!

(I still think that HP should allow the upside orientation...)
    The case takes a minute to figure out, it works in both orientations with the speakers down, just play with how the back folds and you will soon figure it out.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MateoSolo View Post
    I must admit, my first reaction to this suggestion was to think, "what do they think I am, stupid, not knowing how to use a simple case???" But, then I took a look at some TP case pictures online and realized that there was another way to stand up the case in "recline" pose.

I'm going to blame this on the case for my iPad 1 conditioning me to use my new TP case in an incorrect way.

Thanks guys!

(I still think that HP should allow the upside orientation...)
    Just curious. Is there a particular reason why you want to orient it with the speakers up?
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Just curious. Is there a particular reason why you want to orient it with the speakers up?
    when you are holding the touchpad its easier to have the flap fold over the top, so it doesnt dangle down in front of you
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I too, would like my video to play "upside down," as needed. I mean, why would screen orientation flip around every which way except when speakers face up? I'm using my TP to type this and it's plugged into the wall. Where it's most convenient, the USB port is sitting on the left. The cord won't reach otherwise. I have a touchstone charger, but the tp doesn't charge upside down.

Anyway, if you're using headphones or alternative speakers, orientation shouldn't matter since the stereo feature is coming from the audio jack and not the built-in speakers. So is a patch possible, to make video play in the orientation that suits the user? I can live with locking video playback in landscape. How about switching audio to mono if the tp is upside down?
    Why is this a big issue to fix? As others have pointed out, the sound is not that critical and the mere fact that we cannot turn TP whichever way is just ridiculous. When I wanted to play the Angry Birds, I wanted to keep the cover flap behind the back so it is easier to play (similar to the top raised position to help in typing on the virtual keyboard). But TP will always change the landscape mode to one side (is it based on the app?) and it just frustrates me.

lets distinguish the two angles:

°the ~20 degree 'wrong' angle (acc to webOS) that opposes the stereo setup and therefore video orientation

°the ~80 degree 'correct' angle that is vice versa of the above but loses the convenient 'glove' of the case where the flap velcros in~ useful to catch your tp if it ever slips, or just a good handle of it

another major yet simple feature that webOS fails to realize is that there is a reason why all good developers (from my exp on ios and droid) do not allow the device to rotate 360 deg and block the upside down position... To allow the user view landscape content while on their side in bed for example (without Having to adjust any rot locks)

PLEASE allow video to confer to the selected orientation and please consider restricting it to 270 deg (at least as a setting)
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I put the TouchPad in a bookstand sometimes. If I put it upside down, it sits on the volume down button.

I'm guessing HP wanted to avoid people accidentally sitting it on the volume button.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Yep, and same goes for the volume keys. In regular landscape mode (speakers at bottom), they should be reversed, as they are completely counter intuitive. When you press the left side, the volume bar moves to the right (up). When you press the right side, the volume bar moves to the left (down). I noticed this the very first day.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    I put the TouchPad in a bookstand sometimes. If I put it upside down, it sits on the volume down button.

I'm guessing HP wanted to avoid people accidentally sitting it on the volume button.
    Yeah but at the same time, because the speakers are at the bottom, the TP seems to rest on them and that's why a lot of people were having cracked speakers.

We should have been given the option of choosing how to orient our TP. (Just like it is the case in Cyanogenmod 7).

Can a patch allow for this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast