Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Anyone got their TP talking to the 'net via an Android phone (yet?)

I freely admit I havn't even sat down to try this yet so sorry if I'm asking a question for which the answer is a basic bloody-obvious. :-)

My phone is Android 2.1 (so far) so doesn't have the nifty applet for making the phone present a WiFi access point to other client devices. Which is a pity as that would've been the obvious route. If I have to upgrade to a new phone to make this work, I'll have to start deciding if I get a newer Android phone (I've been happy with this for the most part) or switch to Pre. But it's way too early for that decision, after all, I may yet have to dump the TP and get an android tablet if some of the gaps don't get filled in soon!!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/11/2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccomley View Post
    Anyone got their TP talking to the 'net via an Android phone (yet?)

I freely admit I havn't even sat down to try this yet so sorry if I'm asking a question for which the answer is a basic bloody-obvious. :-)

My phone is Android 2.1 (so far) so doesn't have the nifty applet for making the phone present a WiFi access point to other client devices. Which is a pity as that would've been the obvious route. If I have to upgrade to a new phone to make this work, I'll have to start deciding if I get a newer Android phone (I've been happy with this for the most part) or switch to Pre. But it's way too early for that decision, after all, I may yet have to dump the TP and get an android tablet if some of the gaps don't get filled in soon!!

I just rooted my Thunderbolt in order to do this. I'm not terribly tech savvy, especially when it comes to phones, so I followed a step-by-step instruction that I found over at AndroidCentral.com. Note the following forum is specifically for the Thunderbolt on Verizon.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/thu...ng-roms-hacks/

Just in case, here is another post her regarding Android/Tethering.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...g-android.html
    I setup my Android phone as a WiFi hotspot. Worked fine.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Just found out that my phone will probably never rev past 2.1 android, so the "be a WiFi hotspot" s/w won't be coming my way any time soon unless someone makes it an App.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Any progress on using the TP as headset for a non webOS (Android in my case) phone?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccomley View Post
    Just found out that my phone will probably never rev past 2.1 android, so the "be a WiFi hotspot" s/w won't be coming my way any time soon unless someone makes it an App.
    Which is why many people explore their rooting options. If you do a search for your carrier, phone model, and the word "root" you should at least see whether there are options for your specific situation. After that find the resources/threads and see whether wifi tethering is something that's working with the various Roms. YMMV, and there are risks, but I'm very glad I took the plunge recently.

BTW, I practically know nothing about Rooting and/or Roms whatsoever. I've simply followed step by step instructions I found on websites after doing what I recommended above.

Here is a start
    ccomley, i had a similar experince as StopmAWOT. Not to savy, but found instrucitons for Rooting via goole. took an hour to readup and educate myself, then a whole 15 mins to actuallt root the phone.

once rooted, you can upgrade to the newest version of android.

I am have to get wifi working w/ TP, but a lot of other folsk on the board have. it;s specific to the type of pohne you have
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Working!!

VZ Droid 2, most recent Android version, Rooted
    Using Wift Tether Beta
    Setting for Droid X, setup as hostapd (master)
    SSID all lowercase
    No password (yet)

Soooo happy. thank you to everyone who took the time to post your experince. LEarned alot aboutRooting, wifi networks and the TP
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.