Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    My experience has been spotty, once in a while it has been fast but about 90% of the time it has been very slow
    My experience has been similar. It has been slow and spotty. Btw posting your configuration will also help.

Pre 2, freeTether 1.1.3, WPA2 enabled, running OS 2.1.
    Touchpad wifi version running OS 3.0.0.

I also noticed that changing the settings on the touchpad for the access point to a fixed IP and google's DNS servers helped a little bit though I am unsure if its a fluke.

edit: freeTether does work fine with a Win7 laptop so its a touchpad-specific issue.
    Starting a Montreal WebOS meetup: http://www.meetup.com/webos-meetup-montreal
    so far it has worked well for me. I am on Verizon, in case there is any difference in the phone side of the equation.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rahulgarg View Post
    My experience has been similar. It has been slow and spotty. Btw posting your configuration will also help.

Pre 2, freeTether 1.1.3, WPA2 enabled, running OS 2.1.
    Touchpad wifi version running OS 3.0.0.

I also noticed that changing the settings on the touchpad for the access point to a fixed IP and google's DNS servers helped a little bit though I am unsure if its a fluke.

edit: freeTether does work fine with a Win7 laptop so its a touchpad-specific issue.
    I am running the same as you, frankenpre tough. And yes it does great with my laptop but not good with the touchpad. For some reason I thought it would be faster on touchpad, but I guess the laptop does have more processing power hence the difference.

But then again, why would the touchpad be fast sometimes?
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I am have been running FreeTether on my webOS 2.1.0 VZW Pre+, tethering my TouchPad and am very pleased wtih the behavior. You cannot expect the 3G Pre connection to give the same speed/performance as a solid WiFi Broadband connection. That said when I need WiFi and nothing else is available my Pre and FreeTether have not let me down.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Right now I've got my Pre- tethered as my wife is surfing on the TP and I'm typing this. The connection isn't bad and about what you'd expect from a 3G connection.

She'll have the TP with her in Vegas all week with it tethered to her Pre-. I'll fill you in on how it performs as I get reports from her.
    Unlocked Pre 2 on AT&T, webOS 2.1 - freetether 1.1.3, WPA2 enabled.

HP Touchpad - webOS 3.0.0, 32GB, Wi-Fi:
    Spotty - Sometimes fast with no hangups, other times stalls during use - often impossible to completely load any web page without refreshing multiple times.

ASUS EP121- Windows 7 Pro SP1, Intel i5, 4GB, 80GB SSD, Wi-Fi:
    This device works flawlessly with Freetether on my Pre 2 from just about every location I've used it, even locations I've had trouble using the TouchPad with FT.

Touchpad testing:
    I've experimented and tested changing the following variables one at a time and together in multiple variations with no "consistent" change noted:
    - changing the IP subnet and or range in FT (seemed to work at first each time I tested but then reverted back to spotty browsing/streaming/connection)
    - hard coding IP on the TP
    - removing/adding the unthrottle downloads patch on each device together and separately (removing patch from TP seemed to help at first, then can't say it remained consistent)
    - clearing cache, cookies and history on TP
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    kill_dano likes this.
    For general surfing and apps( such as Pre|Central, Spaz HD my freeTether works well. Streaming television doesnt work so well, or movies via KalemSoft Media Player. I was able to stream music files with no hiccups with KSMP, and if I let it buffer for 5-10 minutes I could watch a movie, but at this time not interested in doing so.

Overall, for my usage, freeTether works well for me. I dont bother with encryption/WPA as I'm on the move usually when I do it, and also took Cantaffordit's suggestion of "Virus Server" for a host name (thanks for that ).

My home wifi works a lot better for obvious reasons.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    TouchPad 32 GB, Sprint Pre, using FreeTether. No drop offs, very happy with the performance of FeeTether with my TouchPad. Performance typical of a 3G connection, web pages load reasonably fast but of course it does not compare to broadband. FT is handy for checking email and surfing the web when wifi is not close by. Performance of FT is about the same as my laptop running windows.
    one thing, it eats up the Pre's battery. Be prepared to have your Pre charging while tethered.
    bevcraw and sledge007 like this.
    32 GB TouchPad and launch Pre. It usually works fine for me, but I had problems hooking up on train on my way to SF. I'm now on the train coming back from SF and it's working fine. I think I was too impatient on the way up and I learned that you don't launch browsers even though your TP or Laptop shows connected to freetether. Make sure it shows internet access before you launch.

Because I have a launch pre, the speed isn't the greatest and I don't watch video on Amazon when my connection is moving from tower to tower on the train. But surfing the web and posting on the forums works fine.
    Sprint Pre-, 32GB TouchPad, Freetether wifi WPA-2. Overall, it's been great with the TP working as well as the 3G connection I'm on at the time. So sometimes pretty fast, other times in bad spots not as well, but no real hiccups as far as that goes. This is the first time I've downloaded and used FreeTether and I'm very happy overall. The only thing I've noticed is that it seems like it really heats up the battery in my phone causing insane discharge rates even after I've stopped using FreeTether. I'm sure this is a known issue, just not known to me as I haven't tethered before getting a TP.
    Sprint Pre 2 and and Touchpad

Spoty. Mostly unusable. I keep the security open.
    I am using a Pre- with webOS 2.1 and FreeTether 1.1.3 using WPA2 security. Works well sometimes it takes a couple of tries to connect the touchpad but other than that I get pretty steady speeds. It is sprint and 3G so I do not expect much honestly. I have not tried to stream media other than radio may be an experiment to try out.
    IIIxe -> Handera 330 -> Tungsten C -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre-, Pre2 & Touchpad 32

http://about.me/robert.whisler
    You people reporting slowness will have to work a little harder to figure out the issue because I dont have a webos device activated on any carrier with 2.x so I can't really do any testing.
    Sprint Pre- 1.4.5
    TouchPad
    Desktop (Built, Win7)

Moved in to a new place last weekend. Didn't have cable until today, so my occasional surfing came from FreeTether. Was a little slow on the TP, not too bad on my desktop. Even with the extremely spotty service I have here. Overall though, as long as you don't need to watch videos or any downloads, you're good. Also, better keep the Pre plugged in.
    slow on tp for some reason.
    music streaming or \/ideo impossible even w a solid 3g....though will work on phone....could it be packet size or something.
    So far it looks like people on CDMA connections (Verizon/Sprint) are doing ok but people on GSM connections (At&T, or me on telus) are having problems (but only with touchpad). Is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    You people reporting slowness will have to work a little harder to figure out the issue because I dont have a webos device activated on any carrier with 2.x so I can't really do any testing.
    Well, you still have many thanks for writing the application
    casper3t likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rahulgarg View Post
    So far it looks like people on CDMA connections (Verizon/Sprint) are doing ok but people on GSM connections (At&T, or me on telus) are having problems (but only with touchpad). Is that correct?
    im on bell,, does telus nail you for additional cost using freeteather??
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast