Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By k4ever
  1.    #1  
    I finally got my AKO Email up and running on my Touchpad. There are a ton of how-tos in the forums, mostly for the Pre. However, I felt that there was a need to narrow this down for Touchpad users. You will need a laptop/desktop computer and about 20 minutes of your time.

I used a combination of these two threads to get everything working:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...downloads.html

(Post #1) (use the zip file from here!)

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ettings-3.html

(Post #56)

First step is to import the certificates. There are over 41 of them and it is very time consuming so make sure you block off about 10-15 minutes just to do this:

1) Copy the attached .zip file to your computer
    2) Extract the folder onto your desktop
    3) Attach your Touchpad via USB
    3) Copy all of the certificates to the root folder on your Touchpad
    4) Safely remove your Touchpad from your computer
    5) Go to "Settings" then "Device Info" on your Touchpad
    6) Press the "Device Info" pull down menu in the upper left portion of your screen
    7) Select "Certificate Manager"
    8) Press the "+" button on the bottom middle of the screen, the certificates you put in the root directory should display
    9) Highlight the first certificate (should be "dodca11.cer"), you should recieve a "Trust Security Certificate?" dialog with three choices (Details, Trust Certificate, Don't Trust Certificate)
    10) Select "Trust Certificate", it will import the certificate to the Certificate Manager
    11) You should be taken back to the Certificate Manager and the certificate you imported should be listed under "Security Certificates". You may have to scroll up or down to see it.
    12) Repeat steps 8-10 for the other 40 certificates. Note: The dodeca.cer may not import.

Next after all of the certificates are added restart the Touchpad.

Finally add your AKO Email Account using the following steps:

1) Select the email icon on the Touchpad. The email app should load.
    2) Select the "Email" drop down box in the upper left corner of the screen
    3) Select "Preferences & Accounts"
    4) Select the "Add Account" button 3/4 of the way down the screen
    5) Select the "Email Account" button
    6) Enter your AKO email address and password, then select the "Manual Setup" button
    7) Use these settings:
    a. The Account Type should be "IMAP" for the protocol
    b. The email address is your AKO email address
    c. The incoming server is imap.us.army.mil
    d. The user name is your AKO email user name (do not put @us.army.mil on the end of it!)
    e. The password is your login password
    f. The encryption type is SSL
    g. The port is 993
    h. The Outgoing Mail Server is mailrouter.us.army.mil
    i. Ensure "Use Authentication" is on
    j. The user name is your AKO email user name (do not put @us.army.mil on the end of it!)
    k. The password is your login password
    l. The encrytion type is SSL
    m. The port is 465
    n. The root folder can be left blank or you can place your AKO email user name here (do not put @us.army.mil on the end of it!)
    8) Go ahead and sign in. It should work as long as you added all the certificates and restarted the Touchpad following the first list of steps

After this you will need to assign a name to your account. Good luck!
    Last edited by k4ever; 08/15/2011 at 12:19 AM.
    akshunj likes this.
    Thank you K4ever. The second part of the instructions worked perfectly. I didn't need the first part since I already had the certs loaded. Perfect timing too. I just deleted the my AKO accounts from my Veer and Touchpad because I was having problems logging in. I had no idea the settings had changed.
    Hi k4ever! I got to meet you at the BB the day you bought your TP. I've often wondered how you were liking your TP and if it was working out for you.

Thanks for the excellent step-by-step. I'm still debating whether to get one now or later, but my husband has an AKO account, so this will come in very handy when I do finally take the plunge.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Hi k4ever! I got to meet you at the BB the day you bought your TP. I've often wondered how you were liking your TP and if it was working out for you.

Thanks for the excellent step-by-step. I'm still debating whether to get one now or later, but my husband has an AKO account, so this will come in very handy when I do finally take the plunge.
    Kate,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Hope you've been doing well. I would wait until after the 3.0.2 update to get one that way the bugs are smoothed out a little and document editing is available. I love it. There hasn't been a moment since I bought in BestBuy that I haven't enjoyed it. I have had some fights with some iPad owners here in the forums and I was a little down looking at some of the reviews after buying it, but it has been pleasurable. It is built a lot better than the Pre and has better support. Even though I say that, I'm about lose this one. I found a crack near the speaker and HP is sending me another one to replace it. Once that one arrives this one will go. That let that sway you. HP has been pretty good at helping so far. A lot better than Palm. If you do buy one shop around online. You will get a better deal than I did at BestBuy. Good luck!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrakhalid View Post
    Thank you K4ever. The second part of the instructions worked perfectly. I didn't need the first part since I already had the certs loaded. Perfect timing too. I just deleted the my AKO accounts from my Veer and Touchpad because I was having problems logging in. I had no idea the settings had changed.
    Glad to help.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Worked perfect thx!
  7. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    don't expect AKO help to assist, they consider webOS on the "not official" list of mobile OS solutions … as we all know the contractors there are so crazy about the fruit company that chances are they will not open webos to the Ako mobile program.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    don't expect AKO help to assist, they consider webOS on the "not official" list of mobile OS solutions as we all know the contractors there are so crazy about the fruit company that chances are they will not open webos to the Ako mobile program.
    I didn't know AKO had a mobile program. Last I heard, AKO Mail was only authorized on devices that had Exchange capabilities. Most mobile devices to include the Touchpad has those capabilites. However, every mobile device and mobile OS I've used requires (Android, iOS, WinMO, and webOS) a manual setup for AKO Mail. webOS is the only one that I have seen that does the certificates right. Without the certificates on webOS you are not recieving the email. The source is considered untrusted. All the other I've used have an option to bypass the certificates which in this case is convenient, but not secure.
    Thanks for this, I will be setting it up this evening.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    1 Global Posts
    Thank you for this post. It worked perfectly after I struggled for hours before I found it on here. Thanks a million!!
    Note: unfortunately, you would be in violation of Army policy if you use your touchpad, pre, or veer to connect to AKO Mail since webos requires you save your password to the device which is not allowed by policy.
    Dont forget to update your Touchpad after each AKO password change cycle.
    Thanks. Every time I get a new smartphone or in this case a tablet. It's always an adventure to get AKO mail up and running. Which is why I shudder every time I see an Army Times article about the Army considering issuing every Soldier a Smart Phone. As a commo guy guess who will get called when this crap doesn't work like it's supposed to?