Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dvigilante1
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By JED-WEB-OS
  1.    #1  
    The perfect name would have been the "Palm Tablet". Some people call the touchpad the tablet by Palm. Why not use the Palm brand like HP does with Compaq? Touchpad is so generic that it could mean anything. Some notebooks call the area that functions as a mouse the touchpad.
    dgregory19 likes this.
    HP wants to have this play in both the enterprise and consumer markets. So I dont think Palm would go over as well with IT folks as compared to HP Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    HP wants to have this play in both the enterprise and consumer markets. So I dont think Palm would go over as well with IT folks as compared to HP Touchpad.
    Exactly. The HP name carries a LOT of weight in the enterprise market.
    the original name was the PalmPad but it was rejected by the trademark office...
    bevcraw likes this.
    Actually HP applied for a trademark on "PalmPad" but was turned down by the USPTO.

HP files for 'PALMPAD' Trademark | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Edit: I guess I am just not as quick as Cintaffordit
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    bevcraw likes this.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    The perfect name would have been the "Palm Tablet". Some people call the touchpad the tablet by Palm. Why not use the Palm brand like HP does with Compaq? Touchpad is so generic that it could mean anything. Some notebooks call the area that functions as a mouse the touchpad.
    Not sure if you know this or not , but HP is Phaseing out the Compaq name this year. They will have a select few SKU's over the rest of this year that will have the compaq branding and then its gone. The reason , they want to have the HP name associated with all price catagories on the market.
    Yeah, I think HP are changing their consumer relations strategy. So far, they were a company selling all sorts of products under a number of different brands; I think they want to put everything they got under the umbrella of the HP brand.

I also think they're well aware of the fact that HP is, right now, considered a boring printer company.
    On the other hand, Apple was considered a boring computer company by pretty much everybody outside a small camp of rabid and dedicated fans before they invented (invented, I say!) the MP3 player. So perception can change relatively quickly.
    I am getting use to the HP name but a part of me still misses the Palm brand. I still call my tablet a PalmPad sometimes but am sure to let others know the real name especially when there is a commercial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    I agree, Touchpad is a lame name. It's like they put no thought into it at all.
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water"
    Chief Brody JAWS
    FYI it's TouchPad......not Touchpad......not Touch Pad......learn it....like it......love it

It's as annoying as people who say the webOS.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Keeping the Palm name would've been a mistake. In most people's minds, Palm = failure. No one ever heard of a Palm tablet anyway (even if some tablet/tablet-like devices were made by Palm).

I personally liked the Topaz/Opal names.
    HP's LoveCraft?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    FYI it's TouchPad......not Touchpad......not Touch Pad......learn it....like it......love it

It's as annoying as people who say the webOS.
    But it IS the webOS just as much as it is the TouchPad. Or did you use TouchPad with webOS to surf Internet yesterday? nah. You used THE TouchPad, with THE webOS to surf THE Internet yesterday.
    ipad ipad, easy to say, palm pad palm pad, easy to say.
    touchpad touchpad, sounds wierd.