Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 109
Like Tree28Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If they were good, you would have heard something already from HP. Obviously they were not good.

    By the way, this talk of a "soft launch" is ridiculous.
    Not sure it's as obvious to everyone. You're basing this on what now?
    bevcraw, hparsons, Rnp and 1 others like this.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    Not sure it's as obvious to everyone. You're basing this on what now?
    My guess is "common sense". Or "what sell out products do".

    It may not be a solid assumption, but not a totaly wrong one neither.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #23  
    They lowered the price of the touchpad already as well as other outlets cutting price. I'd say that tells you what you need to know

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    kill_dano likes this.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    from the amount of dead demo units I've witnessed in Best Buy stores and the ones I've read about, I would be willing to bet there were some returns for sure.
    That's the demo software that causes those problems, not the actual hardware itself ... The demo software causes all sorts of problems from sluggish performance to not being able to see the app catalogue to getting stuck on black screens to freezing.

    I took the demo software off my demo unit because it was so bad ...

    Anyways, sales, at least at my store, haven't been great. I have a few friends who work at other retail stores and they say similar things.
  5. #25  
    i would imagine maybe it's not the demo software than it is the os having so many bug and it needing the software update asap. i imagine once the updates are run that the demo software will run better.

    probably why they dont have doc editing and only read only... cause they are all waiting for the update and once the update is out there could be a increase of apps soon after.

    sales figure numbers... i imagine they will have a comment on their conference call when they announce earnings. someone definitely will ask and they will have to give a decent answer. any sidestepping would be considered negative.

    Quote Originally Posted by n00bxqb View Post
    That's the demo software that causes those problems, not the actual hardware itself ... The demo software causes all sorts of problems from sluggish performance to not being able to see the app catalogue to getting stuck on black screens to freezing.

    I took the demo software off my demo unit because it was so bad ...

    Anyways, sales, at least at my store, haven't been great. I have a few friends who work at other retail stores and they say similar things.
  6. #26  
    HP is better off not announcing Touchpad sales numbers... no matter how many they sell it will never be enough for the "Palm is Dead" crowd...

    Haters already have their minds made up that webOS is doomed so mere numbers cant change anything...
    VCI_Cell likes this.
  7. #27  
    The product was "officially launched" a week ago so has been out one week. If they get the OTA out by tomorrow as is rumored, they can say they were a week late. I imagine they would then start looking closely at sales activity starting next week as sales numbers were probably non-meaningful to date as the product is not ready.

    No question but they "bumbled and stumbled" (paraphrase of DeWitt) by not getting the OTA functionality into the launch ; that said if they can get it out this week and have the reviewers take a second look, sales could start to get some momentum and by August 15th, they might have 3 weeks of sales data to look at.
    Of course, they could easily say on the call that they only have a few weeks of data, I would be surprised to hear any hard numbers until for some weeks.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    My guess is "common sense". Or "what sell out products do".

    It may not be a solid assumption, but not a totaly wrong one neither.
    that's kinda why i'm asking. Because obvious and common sense to me is to NOT announce anything if you can get away with it. (btw, this one of the reasons why some companies stay private.) here's why I wouldn't do it:

    1. Regardless of your sales target, any number you announce will be compared unfavorably to the ipad sales (or to the droid tablets for that mater). So any type of chest thumping will be kinda silly. I think they know this already based on ruby's prior comment about just aiming to be #2.

    2. I don't know if I would put too much stock on the initial sales figure since they really just started advertising. It will be months before those gain any traction. Whereas android and apple were able to leverage already existing brands.

    that said...HP is publicly traded so they might be required to release that kind of info.
    Rnp likes this.
  9. #29  
    HP is a train, not a sports car. It will take them a while to get up to steam, but then they'll be tough to stop. HP sells more printers a quarter than Apple has sold iPads TOTAL. So it's not like HP has never worked on this scale before. Also, remember that HP's goal is not to have the TouchPad beat the iPad, but to have webOS beat iOS. HP is interested in the ecosystem as a whole rather than just one product.

    All you are looking for is either of these phrases "on track" or "better than expected." That means the higher ups are happy with the progress so far and HP will continue to push forward.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    sales figure numbers... i imagine they will have a comment on their conference call when they announce earnings. someone definitely will ask and they will have to give a decent answer. any sidestepping would be considered negative.
    ^This. HP's earnings call will likely be the date when we first hear about sales figures (relative or absolute numbers). HP will definitely be asked about it by the industry analysts because it is a very relevant figure given HP's $1.2B acquisition of Palm and the analysts see the TouchPad as one of the key indicators of whether that investment will pay off.

    It's POSSIBLE that HP might announce something a week before earnings, if they feel getting the word out (good or bad) is more advantageous so that their earnings call isn't hijacked by this topic. Simply look at Blackberry/RIM and their debacle in their earnings call when analysts grilled them over the Playbook.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    HP is a train, not a sports car. It will take them a while to get up to steam, but then they'll be tough to stop. HP sells more printers a quarter than Apple has sold iPads TOTAL. So it's not like HP has never worked on this scale before. Also, remember that HP's goal is not to have the TouchPad beat the iPad, but to have webOS beat iOS. HP is interested in the ecosystem as a whole rather than just one product.

    All you are looking for is either of these phrases "on track" or "better than expected." That means the higher ups are happy with the progress so far and HP will continue to push forward.
    I think you hit it on nail with this post. Bradley used one of those phrases during his Bloomberg interview. I don't think that the folks in this thread understand that this is not a make or break product for HP or webOS like the Pre series was for Palm. This is just a cog in their overall strategy.

    HP is a hardware and services giant. I believe Touchpad owners will continue to see good tech support and app growth whether the initial sales of the Touchpad are good or not. I have the feeling that HP is not about the hype. They are not about being hip. I feel that they are about services and support after the sell. If you don't believe me look at how they are selling the Touchpad and look at their interviews. Bradley spoke about services during his Bloomberg interview. The HP representative on the QVC video talked about integration and long term support more than she talked about anything else. I think HP is trying to get your business and keep it.

    Although I'm curious to see the initial sales numbers on the Touchpad, it won't bother me what they are. I already bought one. I'm not looking for someone else (other than my wife) to validate my choice. What concerns me is how HP supports me after the sale. So far they are doing well and keeping their promises.

    BTW, I don't know about you but I'm tired of shelling out hundreds of dollars each year for mobile devices that are worthless before the year is out. Apple does a good job with their support but you can't really say that for most of the other companies. They seem so hell bent on forcing you to buy their latest and greatest that they drop support for your product before you are even done making the payments on it. It's refreshing to even have a company that talks about long term support. We will see if they continue to keep their word.
    kjb86 and Furuboru like this.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericblackdv View Post
    ^This. HP's earnings call will likely be the date when we first hear about sales figures (relative or absolute numbers). HP will definitely be asked about it by the industry analysts because it is a very relevant figure given HP's $1.2B acquisition of Palm and the analysts see the TouchPad as one of the key indicators of whether that investment will pay off.

    It's POSSIBLE that HP might announce something a week before earnings, if they feel getting the word out (good or bad) is more advantageous so that their earnings call isn't hijacked by this topic. Simply look at Blackberry/RIM and their debacle in their earnings call when analysts grilled them over the Playbook.
    Not the same case. HP is a huge company with many many products.
  13. #33  
    folks... the post was just about touchpad sales figures

    we're just saying that probably if we're gonna hear about it, it's gonna be at earnings call. i dont think anyone said sales has any great deal to do with hp's overall numbers.

    pc is just a very small part of their earnings... services and enterprise are key for them and will be interesting to see the numbers because dell turned out really good report on pc and enterprise and ibm beat their numbers and last quarter for hp missed on both pcs and enterprise.

    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think you hit it on nail with this post. Bradley used one of those phrases during his Bloomberg interview. I don't think that the folks in this thread understand that this is not a make or break product for HP or webOS like the Pre series was for Palm. This is just a cog in their overall strategy.

    HP is a hardware and services giant. I believe Touchpad owners will continue to see good tech support and app growth whether the initial sales of the Touchpad are good or not. I have the feeling that HP is not about the hype. They are not about being hip. I feel that they are about services and support after the sell. If you don't believe me look at how they are selling the Touchpad and look at their interviews. Bradley spoke about services during his Bloomberg interview. The HP representative on the QVC video talked about integration and long term support more than she talked about anything else. I think HP is trying to get your business and keep it.

    Although I'm curious to see the initial sales numbers on the Touchpad, it won't bother me what they are. I already bought one. I'm not looking for someone else (other than my wife) to validate my choice. What concerns me is how HP supports me after the sale. So far they are doing well and keeping their promises.

    BTW, I don't know about you but I'm tired of shelling out hundreds of dollars each year for mobile devices that are worthless before the year is out. Apple does a good job with their support but you can't really say that for most of the other companies. They seem so hell bent on forcing you to buy their latest and greatest that they drop support for your product before you are even done making the payments on it. It's refreshing to even have a company that talks about long term support. We will see if they continue to keep their word.
  14. #34  
    btw, not sure how you come with that statement... still rocking the 3gs and it's over a couple of years old. ios5 is coming out this fall and the 3gs is going to be supported and from reports i have heard performance has not been affected and may have been improved.

    been happy with the 2g for as long as they could have supported it and the 3g was supported i think for a couple of years. my daughter is still using her 2g and installing new apps on it. so pre and pixi owners have fared better?

    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    BTW, I don't know about you but I'm tired of shelling out hundreds of dollars each year for mobile devices that are worthless before the year is out. Apple does a good job with their support but you can't really say that for most of the other companies. They seem so hell bent on forcing you to buy their latest and greatest that they drop support for your product before you are even done making the payments on it. It's refreshing to even have a company that talks about long term support. We will see if they continue to keep their word.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post

    1. Regardless of your sales target, any number you announce will be compared unfavorably to the ipad sales (or to the droid tablets for that mater). So any type of chest thumping will be kinda silly. I think they know this already based on ruby's prior comment about just aiming to be #2.
    i doubt anybody is expecting they sell as many as iPad 2 at this time. But there are some numbers people will compare to:

    1. HP was said to ordering 400,000-450,000 units each month, about 3 million by end of this year. link

    2. ASUS EEE pad is shipping 400,000 per months, ASUS is reported to prepare for 4-4.5 million shipment in 2H of this year. link

    3. Android army collectively sold about 4.6 million in recent quarter link

    These are substantial numbers I am sure people will compare TP sales to, and reasonably so. If HP is aiming to be "#2", we will see how the sales compare to its expectation, or to current #2(s).
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    My guess is "common sense". Or "what sell out products do".

    It may not be a solid assumption, but not a totaly wrong one neither.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Really common sense would tell people that a tablet from a new company with an OS that people aren't familiar with wouldn't be selling out. Especially when the advertising for that product was a week or so after it's release. Thats my making sense of it anyways.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i doubt anybody is expecting they sell as many as iPad 2 at this time. But there are some numbers people will compare to:

    1. HP was said to ordering 400,000-450,000 units each month, about 3 million by end of this year. link

    2. ASUS EEE pad is shipping 400,000 per months, ASUS is reported to prepare for 4-4.5 million shipment in 2H of this year. link

    3. Android army collectively sold about 4.6 million in recent quarter link

    These are substantial numbers I am sure people will compare TP sales to, and reasonably so. If HP is aiming to be "#2", we will see how the sales compare to its expectation, or to current #2(s).
    We all know Asus Transformer is doing well in sales right now. HOw many did it sell or pre-sell in it's first three weeks of sales? That would be the more appropriate figure to compare the HP sales to.
    Rnp likes this.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Really common sense would tell people that a tablet from a new company with an OS that people aren't familiar with wouldn't be selling out. Especially when the advertising for that product was a week or so after it's release. Thats my making sense of it anyways.
    maybe, your "common sense" has no bearing on his "common sense", since they are answering different questions.

    eventually, reasons for not-so-good sales are not meaningful for the survival or thrive-al of the wbOS tablet. Lets just hope HP does its best from now on to get "good sales".
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Not the same case. HP is a huge company with many many products.
    Yes but HP is very tight lipped about their products. I watched an engadget podcast with Rubenstein and he didn't disclose hardly anything prior to the Tablets release.
  20. #40  
    i'm not really gonna watch how they compare to other tablets... just wanna know how first month sales are and from there watch the tragectory.

    if i had to compare it to a unit then i would say playbook. new os and they sold 250,000 first month... i think xoom sold about that many first month too? so i think that's a good target.

    actually i dont think hp should have any problems selling 250,000 and looking for upside surprise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Really common sense would tell people that a tablet from a new company with an OS that people aren't familiar with wouldn't be selling out. Especially when the advertising for that product was a week or so after it's release. Thats my making sense of it anyways.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/24/2011 at 03:03 PM.
    k4ever likes this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions