Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

Tried bbc iplayer on my TP, get sound ok (when it works) but frame rate is atrocious to non existent, and that is just streaming SD!

I read a review online saying iplayer was smooth, I beg to differ!

Anyone else tried it out?

Barry

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I think you should try again, the first times tried it it was choppy as hell but its great now. It works best in fullscreen mode, I think the iplayer will always trynto push as higher quality as it thinks you can handle, so a refresh will sometimes help!
  3.    #3  
    Hi Richard,

thanks for the reply, I tried it again (Blade Runner ) and even though I have no sound, damn you sound bug, it is playing smooth, as long as I don't try and jump to any other point in the movie then it just won't restart properly.

Barry
    It's been working fine for me, I agree it's best in full screen mode.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks bloc,

what happens if you guys try and skip back or forward?

Barry
    scrubbing does cause problems, it will move to the point i've chosen and sound will continue to play but the image pauses! Wouldn't it be great if HP could get the BBC onboard to make an app!

edit: just tried again and skipping around fine, does appear to be a bit buggy though
    Mine is perfect - just sat here with last week's episode of 'New Tricks' running and it is flawless.

Because it is streaming video and therefore a decent bandwidth is required you do need a good, uncontested wireless channel for a reliable picture. I know that my router (on BT Infinity) isn't sharing the wireless channel with any other local device in neighbouring houses.

Does your router enable you see local wireless devices and which channels they are using?
    Guys - where can I download/install this - it does not come up on App Catalog search or Homebrew (sorry if this is a silly question as I am a newbie on Touchpad (day 2). Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinRockett View Post
    Guys - where can I download/install this - it does not come up on App Catalog search or Homebrew (sorry if this is a silly question as I am a newbie on Touchpad (day 2). Kevin
    Hey Kevin,

There isnt an app in the catalog for the iPlayer.. simply go to BBC iPlayer - iPlayer Radio Home in the browser.

If you are interested in other TV websites, also check out Watch Movies Online & TV Shows for Free, Rent & Buy | blinkbox - you can get a lot of free movies and TV shows here (some classics too!)

Enjoy!
    Wozza - thank you. Shouldhave guessed that. I checked out BlinkBox - will definately use that one as well. I just got my Touchpad yesterday as a replacement for my IPAD1 and spending time trying to get the same apps. I was ambitious with BBC Iplayer and the other one I want is Sky Mobile, which is great on the IPAD (any ideas about that one). Lastly, for some reason I cannot find Kindle on the app catalog either (as I say - I am a newbie). Kevin
    It is bit glitchy, and skipping back and forward doesn't work, but all in all I'm happy with it. Hopefully in the future we'll se an update from either HP or BBC that addresses the issue.
    You can also browse to the sky player website. You will find on the TouchPad that you use the browser more than apps to get web content.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinRockett View Post
    Wozza - thank you. Shouldhave guessed that. I checked out BlinkBox - will definately use that one as well. I just got my Touchpad yesterday as a replacement for my IPAD1 and spending time trying to get the same apps. I was ambitious with BBC Iplayer and the other one I want is Sky Mobile, which is great on the IPAD (any ideas about that one). Lastly, for some reason I cannot find Kindle on the app catalog either (as I say - I am a newbie). Kevin
    Agreed - Sky player would be AWESOME, however I did see a post on here somewhere which mentioned that there is no Sky TV app coming to webOS in the near future - bad times. What makes it worse is that you cannot watch sky through the browser as the video on Watch TV Online | Sky Go uses silverlight which is not available on the Touchpad. (ps sky renamed skyplayer to 'go' )

As for the kindle, you cannot get this 'officially in the UK at the moment... however search the forums for kindle UK and you should find info on how to install it. (it uses a preware app called impostah) - PM me if you need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    You can also browse to the sky player website. You will find on the TouchPad that you use the browser more than apps to get web content.
    Not possible for sky player... see above...

although I would like to stand corrected on this, so if you have a way of watching sky through the browser let me know!

Wozza.
    Last edited by Wozza666; 08/11/2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: added kindle info
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    scrubbing does cause problems, it will move to the point i've chosen and sound will continue to play but the image pauses! Wouldn't it be great if HP could get the BBC onboard to make an app!
    I have this problem! Very annoying, not sure if anyone's found a fix for it?
    It seems that the TP browser cannot support all the functionality that the iPlayer has to offer. For example, when you try to add a favourite by tapping on the star icon, it will look like it is doing it but the item is not actually added to your favourites.

My guess is that it has something to do with versions of Flash, and maybe this also explains some of the problems with streaming.

Does anybody know how to check which version of Flash we are using on the TP?
    Sky Go (player) website won't work on the TP as it uses Silverlight. We need to contact Sky to ask them to create a Sky Go WebOS app. You would think they could port the iPad version.
    Coming back to the iPlayer, I find that programmes that are recorded are perfect, whereas live TV is somewhere between occasionally jerky to totally unwatchable, veeringntowards the latter. Does anyone have a solution that's watchable for live TV? Tvcatchup's mobile streams are too low a bitrate to come under that category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    Coming back to the iPlayer, I find that programmes that are recorded are perfect, whereas live TV is somewhere between occasionally jerky to totally unwatchable, veeringntowards the latter. Does anyone have a solution that's watchable for live TV? Tvcatchup's mobile streams are too low a bitrate to come under that category.
    I find TVCatchup works best if you go to the mobile site - m.tvcatchup.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfrog View Post
    I find TVCatchup works best if you go to the mobile site - m.tvcatchup.com
    That was what I was talking about, unfortunately. Awful pixelated, artefacted bitrate that comes out with the wrong aspect ratio on the Touchpad. Have just had to resort to the iPad to watch Doctor Who :-( Don't think m.catchup is watchable at the moment, unfortunately - although they've promised higher bitrate streams for the mobile streams coming soon.
    i just increased the disk cache the touchpad and my pre3 used instead of disabling it and it seems to work fine for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast