webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > TouchPad Stuck in USB Mode/Waiting On HP Support
TouchPad Stuck in USB Mode/Waiting On HP Support

Old 07/23/2011, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Well my 5 day old TouchPad is now stuck in USB Mode. I have been on the phone with HP Tech Support for two days now and they tell me someone will call me. No one knows how to get it out of the USB Mode.

It happened when I received my HP TouchPad Case. I had it in the case and the volume would go up by it's self. I took it out of the case and it still would just increase the volume. On the fourth restart it went into USB Mode and that is all she wrote. The sad thing is that it was working like a charm before I put on the case. I assume that the volume up button is stuck. It doesn't feel stuck.

I tried to download the webOS Doctor on the Palm site, but it has some type of error and won't load. The worst part is the run around I am getting from HP. Now I am in limbo waiting to hear back on when I will receive a replacement.

I hope this doesn't happen to any of you.
dabombcra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2011, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

That's terrible! In another thread I saw you've tried resetting the device by holding power and volume up and the center button all at the same time. In a different thread HelloNNNewman said just holding power and the center button should do the trick. Could you try that?

TouchPad owners: The TouchPad "How do I...?" thread.
Devices: HTC HD7, Wife's Lumia 710, and two TouchPads
Twitter: @STLwebOSMeetup
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by MJ m, xtravbx
Old 07/23/2011, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I tried all suggestions I could find. Even HP went over everything I found in the threads. I'm thinking since my volume was going up by its self, maybe it is stuck internally thus giving me the USB screen.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 07/23/2011, 02:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
I tried all suggestions I could find. Even HP went over everything I found in the threads. I'm thinking since my volume was going up by its self, maybe it is stuck internally thus giving me the USB screen.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
OK. I am very sorry to hear that. Keep hammering HP tech support. Unless you can exchange the TP from the place you bought it?

TouchPad owners: The TouchPad "How do I...?" thread.
Devices: HTC HD7, Wife's Lumia 710, and two TouchPads
Twitter: @STLwebOSMeetup
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2011, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

It happen to me after I uninstalled a patch and rebooted my Touchpad.
It showed the USB symbol on the screen and won't reboot with the on and off key.
I thought one of the driver Novecam turned my Touchpad into a Palm Pre because even my computer recognize it as a "Palm" rather than Touchpad. I finally use one of the above suggestion by pressing both the On/Off key and Center Key at the same time until it rebooted. IT WORKS.
Scare the hell out of me!!!!
qqbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've tried all solutions and it didn't work. I feel like dying. haven't owned something this nice and rate for the price and no luck.
yauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just an FYI, moisture can sometimes have the effect of a stuck key. If it got wet/damp somehow, that can do it.

Rebooting (power, center, volume-up buttons at the same time) just puts yours back to USB mode? Same after running out the battery?
LurkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yauger View Post
I've tried all solutions and it didn't work. I feel like dying. haven't owned something this nice and rate for the price and no luck.
Have you called HP? It's still under warranty. The press the center button and power button simultaneously till it reboots worked for me when I had that issue. I hope you can find a solution.
Superjudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Make sure you push the power button and the center button at the same time and hold them down for 20 seconds. Mine rebooted after about 10 seconds
baldwinr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqbuilder View Post
It happen to me after I uninstalled a patch and rebooted my Touchpad.
It showed the USB symbol on the screen and won't reboot with the on and off key.
I thought one of the driver Novecam turned my Touchpad into a Palm Pre because even my computer recognize it as a "Palm" rather than Touchpad. I finally use one of the above suggestion by pressing both the On/Off key and Center Key at the same time until it rebooted. IT WORKS.
Scare the hell out of me!!!!

Thank you! My touchpad was stuck at the HP Logo screen doing absolutely nothing. I tried to get the device into usb mode to do an update via webos doctor, but it failed during the testing...
JWatson#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

My new touchpad arrived a couple fo days ago and I was so excited, until I arrived home and it had frozen in USB mode. I tried the 'hold down power, volume and centre' buttons option and it worked. There maybe a sequence to doing that and for info I added the volume button last, mostly due ot finger arrangement.

Hope it works for others too
eoinvoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 03:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Holding Volume-Up while resetting the device will put the it in USB update mode.

You should just hold Power + center button for 10+ seconds.

If the Volume Up button is indeed stuck, this would explain why you keep going back to update mode whenever you reset :<
astropre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

I was a bit scared when it locked in USB mode for me just a few minutes ago, too, and ended up doing Power & Center but even after 10 seconds didn't have anything, so I pushed volume up and TADA! THANKS EVERYONE!!!
maclifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Whew, thanks everyone. I just got my touchpad yesterday, and when I booted it this evening, it went into USB mode. I tried all sorts of button combinations but holding the power and centre buttons for about 10 seconds (not sure exactly, I think I was nervous and counting fast) got it to boot. I didn't know there was a USB mode before that. Now I'm going to spend some quality time with my touchpad, and bookmark this forum!
Omegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 10:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

This is a less than desirable method:

Wait for the battery to die. :P
Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

try power + center button + volume down? Perhaps volume down will negate the volume up key?
vicvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 10:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

dabombcra must have solved this, as he has more recent post. I haven't heard many storied about TP's dying, which makes me guess the failure rate is low?
woosh#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 12:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

HP could not figure out why my screen was stuck on the USB screen. If you get the USB screen, you need to connect it to the computer and eject the TouchPad. My computer would not recognized the TouchPad. The other option is to hold the center button and power button for about 15 seconds. That is the hard boot which should reset the device. After a week of dealing with Tech Support, they decided to send me a new unit. I even tried doctoring the TouchPad, which did not work either. If you can't get the device to get out of the USB mode, I would call HP. Keep at them as they will give you the run around.

holding the power+center+volume down button does nothing. My suggestion is to not play with the volume buttons when restarting the devise unless you need to force the device into the USB mode.

hope this helps
Old 10/25/2011, 11:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwinr99 View Post
Make sure you push the power button and the center button at the same time and hold them down for 20 seconds. Mine rebooted after about 10 seconds
Thanks for the post mine was locked up for 3 hours until I found this on thread!!!
Fguills75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 04:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

I heard you have to hold them as long as 30 seconds
rbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0