1.    #1  
    I was fiddling with the TP last night and noticed that the palm backups happen automatically; I don't have an issue with this but I wondered what impact it had on performance. Disabled and there was a notable difference in the way apps behaved. A bit quicker to load and in general the OS felt like it had a bit more spring in it's step. It was a wee bit better still after a power cycle.

I left it off for now but I'm wondering what data is automatically backed up to the cloud and is there a way for me to do it manually without having the auto backup engaged?
    You can manually back up, but you may want to think seriously before you turn off the automatic backup. The automatic backup stores your Palm Profile in the cloud and usually backs up every day. This is the record of what apps you have purchased. It is also the backup for your contacts and calendar if you have chosen the profile as your default backup for them. If you run into a problem that requires you to log into your profile again, you may lose some information and apps if you have not backed up recently.
    My understanding is that it happens at a set time each day. Palm profile stores your apps, account settings, contacts and calendar (if you dont sync them to google or another cloud service) and various other tidbits. I am not sure how long it takes, but it doesnt run constantly.

The Synergy is what runs throughout the day. That is the service that pulls your contacts, calendar, pics, etc from Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc. I dont think you can turn that off...unless you disconnect it from the internet entirely.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    My understanding is that it happens at a set time each day. Palm profile stores your apps, account settings, contacts and calendar (if you dont sync them to google or another cloud service) and various other tidbits. I am not sure how long it takes, but it doesnt run constantly.

The Synergy is what runs throughout the day. That is the service that pulls your contacts, calendar, pics, etc from Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc. I dont think you can turn that off...unless you disconnect it from the internet entirely.
    Actually, the backup doesn't happen at any set time of the day. It does happen once in a 24 hr period, though. I have seen my Pre sync at 2 AM one day, then 6 PM the next, then 10 AM the next. It's really random. So far the TouchPad does the same. The backups, at least in my experience, always happen when I am not actually using the device. But if I inititate a manual backup, it's not very demanding on the hardware. Things seems to run just as well with the backup executing.
  5.    #5  
    I doubt I'll even notice anything after the update adds GPU accel and what not; so I'll likely do the manual back up. Though now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing a way to do manual; it was auto on/off, no manual or "back up now" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    I doubt I'll even notice anything after the update adds GPU accel and what not; so I'll likely do the manual back up. Though now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing a way to do manual; it was auto on/off, no manual or "back up now" button.
    There is a "Back Up Now" button.
    zero impact on performance because it only runs when the device is asleep, and usually about 2-4am when you should also be sleeping.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    There is a "Back Up Now" button.
    Where? I go to: settings tab, then back up and I see no such button on the screen or the action menu. Just the on/off toggle on the upper right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    zero impact on performance because it only runs when the device is asleep, and usually about 2-4am when you should also be sleeping.
    When I'm not using it (sleeping, away from house, in travel bag) I leave it on with the wifi off. So does it run between 2-4 every day or once every 24 hours? If the latter, then it could be at any time. Is it once every 24 hours so long as it is in sleep mode? Does a certain period of time away from the device with screen off engage sleep mode? I had no idea the tablet even had a sleep let alone a settings for such thing or what triggers it.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Hopefully, they fixed palm backup with the touchpad. I remember when the backup wouldn't work on my pre- and had to do it manually. It would only remember my paid apps, but I would have to download them again manually-- rarely did it ever do a full restore as advertised.
    When I'm not using it (sleeping, away from house, in travel bag) I leave it on with the wifi off. So does it run between 2-4 every day or once every 24 hours? If the latter, then it could be at any time. Is it once every 24 hours so long as it is in sleep mode? Does a certain period of time away from the device with screen off engage sleep mode? I had no idea the tablet even had a sleep let alone a settings for such thing or what triggers it.
    My phone backups have always been middle of the night... (usually around 2 when I have checked).

Just checked TP, last backup was 12:24 am on 7-21, might have lost WiFi last night.

You should be seeing a backup now button under the text about what the backup does. Grey box couple inches wide.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Where? I go to: settings tab, then back up and I see no such button on the screen or the action menu. Just the on/off toggle on the upper right.
    Do you have backup turned off? You probably will not see the gray back up now button unless backup is turned on.
    Good point didn't think of that.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I have an additional finding, when I picked up my TP this morning it had to reconnect to my router.... Still hadnt backed up since the 21st. Guessing at some point of inactivity it turns off wifi??? Not really a problem for me since I dont mind it not being connected all night for no reason, just a thought to those that might be having backup problems. Also did manual backup just now and worked fine.