1.    #1  
    I am in Afghanistan and just got my Touchpad today. I was super excited to get started with it, but it turns out that I can't get it setup at all. I have access to 2 wifi networks, both of which I pay for here in Afghanistan

Wifi #1 - Open network, but when you point your browser initially, it redirects to a login page. You login, and then the internet works on your device.

Wifi #2 - Mac filtered wifi with WPA 2.

On Wifi #1 I cannot connect because I never get redirected to login during the setup.

On Wifi #2 I cannot figure out my mac addy...

do I just have to return it? What are my options?

Thanks for the help!
    to get you mac address go to:
    settings
    device info
    more info
    and there it is

John
  3.    #3  
    How do I get to settings before I initially setup the device?
    the MAC address never changes (built into the hardware). Once you get it using Wifi1 plug that mac address into wifi2 and then you should be fine
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenrushing View Post
    I am in Afghanistan and just got my Touchpad today. I was super excited to get started with it, but it turns out that I can't get it setup at all. I have access to 2 wifi networks, both of which I pay for here in Afghanistan

Wifi #1 - Open network, but when you point your browser initially, it redirects to a login page. You login, and then the internet works on your device.

Wifi #2 - Mac filtered wifi with WPA 2.

On Wifi #1 I cannot connect because I never get redirected to login during the setup.

On Wifi #2 I cannot figure out my mac addy...

do I just have to return it? What are my options?

Thanks for the help!
    I am assuming that you do not have admin rights to either of the WiFi routers or know someone who does. Without that your best bet is to connect to a "open" WiFi Hotspot running on a smartphone (i.e. freeTether on a Pre) and then on the phone check the Connections and you will find your MAC Address. Hope this helps. I would advise against using a tethered connection to do a complete setup of the Touchpad unless it is your only option.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I'm not in front of my Touchpad box now, but did you check the label where the s/n is. Sometimes they include mac address there.
    What phone do you have? If you have a phone with Wi-Fi hotspot capability you may be able to connect and find out the TP MAC.

For example when I use FreeTether on my Pre 2; I can look at the list of connected devices and their MACs.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Hi Steve,

I ran into the same problem when I received my touchpad. I had to disable the MAC filter on the router after I couldn't find a way to get the MAC of my touchpad. You could try asking your network admins to assist you. They can see your MAC address in the logs of the access point.

Be safe over there and thank you for your service. Fellow vet here.
    Hi, i got exactly the same situation. i use a wifi with captive portal, that each time directs me to a welcome page, i can access to internet after inputing the use name and password like most of the public wifi where i tried in KFC, McDO, cafes...
    the initial configuration doesn't accept a captive portal. the captive portal normally recognises each connection by a MAC address. if i use a normal pc to connect internet through this portal captive, it can be bypassed in another devices with the same MAC address.

so the essential step is to find the MAC address of unitiated Touchpad.
    all the tool you need is
    1,one touchpad of course,
    2, a pc connected to internet
    3,software, COMMVIEW, i use commview 5-443
    ed2k://|file|cv5-443%E5%AE%8C%E5%85%A8%E7%A0%B4%E8%A7%A3%E7%89%88.rar|4680856|9968aad864d0591386e36eb12e101236|h=xbm2 2t46durfmhogb4hxqivqqxhbyqeg|

with your pc, each time you connect to internet, it directs you to a welcome page, remember the welcome page url, for me wifi.free.fr. find the ip by a tool url to ip wifi.free.fr - Convert URL to IP Address | Tejji
    its ip is 212.27.*.*

start commview, without any rules, start to capture packages.
    at the same time, you connect touchpad with the open wifi, of coure touchpas asks you to choose another wifi source, but actually your touchpad receives datapackages from the wifi service server, ip 212.27.*.*

from the commview, you try to find from ''latest ip connections', go to the item with remote ip as 212.27.*.*, right click-hosts- by MAC, you can find two MAC address, one is your pc, the other is your touchpad.

you can confirm that MAC address in this site, a touchpad MAC is identified as a palm one MAC_Find: Vendor/Ethernet/Bluetooth MAC Address Lookup and Search

Once the mac address is identified, the following steps become easier. you change your pc MAC to touchpad mac, connect to internet. because it is a new mac, you need to input your pw and user name. once the pw ans user name is registered in public wifi server with touchpad mac address, you can connect your touchpad directly to wifi and continue the initial configuration steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by universon View Post
    Hi, i got exactly the same situation. i use a wifi with captive portal, that each time directs me to a welcome page, i can access to internet after inputing the use name and password like most of the public wifi where i tried in KFC, McDO, cafes...
    the initial configuration doesn't accept a captive portal. the captive portal normally recognises each connection by a MAC address. if i use a normal pc to connect internet through this portal captive, it can be bypassed in another devices with the same MAC address.

so the essential step is to find the MAC address of unitiated Touchpad.
    all the tool you need is
    1,one touchpad of course,
    2, a pc connected to internet
    3,software, COMMVIEW, i use commview 5-443
    ed2k://|file|cv5-443%E5%AE%8C%E5%85%A8%E7%A0%B4%E8%A7%A3%E7%89%88.rar|4680856|9968aad864d0591386e36eb12e101236|h=xbm2 2t46durfmhogb4hxqivqqxhbyqeg|

with your pc, each time you connect to internet, it directs you to a welcome page, remember the welcome page url, for me wifi.free.fr. find the ip by a tool url to ip wifi.free.fr - Convert URL to IP Address | Tejji
    its ip is 212.27.*.*

start commview, without any rules, start to capture packages.
    at the same time, you connect touchpad with the open wifi, of coure touchpas asks you to choose another wifi source, but actually your touchpad receives datapackages from the wifi service server, ip 212.27.*.*

from the commview, you try to find from ''latest ip connections', go to the item with remote ip as 212.27.*.*, right click-hosts- by MAC, you can find two MAC address, one is your pc, the other is your touchpad.

you can confirm that MAC address in this site, a touchpad MAC is identified as a palm one MAC_Find: Vendor/Ethernet/Bluetooth MAC Address Lookup and Search

Once the mac address is identified, the following steps become easier. you change your pc MAC to touchpad mac, connect to internet. because it is a new mac, you need to input your pw and user name. once the pw ans user name is registered in public wifi server with touchpad mac address, you can connect your touchpad directly to wifi and continue the initial configuration steps.
    this annoying problem has been solved in the 3.02 version. A poped up dialogue directs to the captive portal page allowing you to input username and pw