Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since there will be no HP Sprint phone does anyone think that it is possible for Homebrew to cook up a way for android devices to connect to the Touchpad as the Pre 3 does?? Im not talking about "touch to share" im referring to the text and calling capabilities. These communication capabilities are what I feel is the main differentiator from other tablets and I was going to purchase a Touchpad or the Opal tablet but I dare not now because Sprint is not getting a Webos device.
    No need dude, calling and messaging on the Touchpad work with any phone that has bluetooth.

Any Android phone will work outta the box.
    That is so not true.... -1
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    No need dude, calling and messaging on the Touchpad work with any phone that has bluetooth.

So let me confirm..being able to get the notifications and calls from my Evo will work just as the PRE 3 demonstrations???
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    So let me confirm..being able to get the notifications and calls from my Evo will work just as the PRE 3 demonstrations???
    No, it won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

it will not. Only with webOS phones. The phone call capability will function with any device with webos 2.0 or higher, while the text message will work with 2.2.3 I believe.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    it will not. Only with webOS phones. The phone call capability will function with any device with webos 2.0 or higher, while the text message will work with 2.2.3 I believe.
    Oh ok thanks guys..Don't know why HP won't allow this..This would be such a great feature of the TP being that webos phones will be limited in availability and this is a key diferentiator between other tablets.. Shameful is HP
    I just made a call on the touchpad using my Sprint Pre- running 1.4.5. It worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Oh ok thanks guys..Don't know why HP won't allow this..This would be such a great feature of the TP being that webos phones will be limited in availability and this is a key diferentiator between other tablets.. Shameful is HP
    It hasn nothing to do with what hp "allows"... I can make calls from my Garmin GPS to my Pre, so it's theoretically possible...
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    The phone calling function works on a Sprint Pre running 1.4.5.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    phones calling is not a prob with a simple patch. But messaging seems to be a problem
  12.    #12  
    Ok..Well hopefully a developer could find out a way to make it happen..Many people don't talk much but they text often.. Hopefully the text feature can be made possible.
    This is one of my gripes - I've already posted about Bluetooth not working on TP and my HTC Desire - neither device will 'find' the other. This is not just for calling, messaging etc - I can't even send photos via bluetooth from 1 device to the other. It's a PAIN!!!!
    The ability to pair to the TouchPad with Bluetooth is a function of the Bluetooth protocol imbedded in the phone hardware. The TouchPad uses Bluetooth wireless technology 2.1 + EDR protocol with A2DP Stereo Bluetooth support and secure simple pairing (SSP) that improves the pairing experience for Bluetooth devices. Phones that use a lesser Bluetooth protocol may not be able to pair with the TouchPad for calling or messaging.

Other factors including the basic Bluetooth profiles built into the operating system such as Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP). There are dozens of Bluetooth profiles and these will dictate what information the devices can share once connected.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 07/22/2011 at 07:44 AM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Unless android supports a standardized text messaging bluetooth framework (which I'm not sure exists), it will be up to the android homebrew community to make it work (not webOS homebrew).
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The ability to pair to the TouchPad with Bluetooth is a function of the Bluetooth protocol imbedded in the phone hardware. The TouchPad uses Bluetooth wireless technology 2.1 + EDR protocol with A2DP Stereo Bluetooth support and secure simple pairing (SSP) that improves the pairing experience for Bluetooth devices. Phones that use a lesser Bluetooth protocol may not be able to pair with the TouchPad for calling or messaging.

Other factors including the basic Bluetooth profiles built into the operating system such as Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP). There are dozens of Bluetooth profiles and these will dictate what information the devices can share once connected.
    Arent newer Bluetooth protocols backwards-compatible with older ones?
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    The phone calling function works on a Sprint Pre running 1.4.5.
    wait, you can make calls from the TP or just receive calls? i would imagine that receiving calls is an easy trick as every other bluetooth headset does that already. but calling directly from the TP is a little trickier...
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    There are three aspects of paring a TouchPad with a phone. Phone calls, SMS, and more complex messages. The automatic sharing of phone calls should be availabe to anyone - today. The TouchPad simply acts like a bluetooth headset. The same with SMS. Once received by the phone, it is automatically transferred to the touchpad. This is what I am experiencing with my 1.45 Sprint Pre.

It's the advanced messaging sharing, that (as I understand it) requires a webOS device running version 2.0 or higher in order to share the messages.

If I'm wrong, I'm going to blame it on not yet having my morning coffee before I answered.
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Arent newer Bluetooth protocols backwards-compatible with older ones?
    Yes - but the older Bluetooth protocols are not upward compatable with the new Protocols (e.g. Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR has secure simple pairing (SSP) but Bluetooth v2.0 + EDR does not)
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    My understanding is calls will work via Bluetooth from most phones; this was discussed in other threads. I have been using it on my pre- without any problems. HP will be sending an OTA for SMS compatibility to all 2x devices and will be standard on Pre3 and above.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast