Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By prdamrican#AC
  1.    #1  
    Iīve tried for days to get any videos on apple.com to play on the TP. (No flaming, please. I just upgraded to Lion and wanted to watch a video on TP while I followed along on my Mac.) But the videos wonīt play. We all know that they arenīt in Flash, but I thought the TP was fully capable of playing videos in other formats (like the iPad does) in the browser. Is there a setting I donīt know about? Or is it just my TP? Can anyone duplicate this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Iīve tried for days to get any videos on apple.com to play on the TP. (No flaming, please. I just upgraded to Lion and wanted to watch a video on TP while I followed along on my Mac.) But the videos wonīt play. We all know that they arenīt in Flash, but I thought the TP was fully capable of playing videos in other formats (like the iPad does) in the browser. Is there a setting I donīt know about? Or is it just my TP? Can anyone duplicate this?
    I think the OTA is coming out soon, probably within a week. I don't have any information that it would support this but I would wait to see.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    This is interesting. If Apple hates flash so much, why do they use Flash in their website? If they did not use Flash on the webpage, what did they use? Sliverlight or HTML5?

Can iPad play the Apple.com's videos in the browser?
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  4.    #4  
    Apple doesīt use Flash, ever. Flash plays fine on TP, but these are (most likely) H.264 videos using HTML5 video container. I did a browser test (html5test.com) and it shows that the browser does support this type of video. I tried turning Flash off to see if it was getting confused, but it made no difference. A couple more tries like this sparked a reboot.
    Apple site uses a Quicktime plugin. I can confirm for you that only the ipad (and probably Windows tablets) works, but that the Xoom (Android), the Playbook (QNX), and the Touchpad (WebOS baby!) do not work. I guess Apple is not looking to market their wares to non ipad tablet users. Hehe.

The same is true of Microsoft's site (try xbox.com) which uses Silverlight. None of the above (except windows based) tablets work with the site's video's....
  6.    #6  
    Well thatīs odd... Isnīt Apple (i.e. Jobs) the one who says Flash is bad because (among other things) it requires a proprietary plug in to be able to use it, and that they prefer to use universal and open HTML5 videos? I donīt understand the details, but it seems that they would make sure their videos play in browsers that could support them, just like YouTube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Well thatīs odd... Isnīt Apple (i.e. Jobs) the one who says Flash is bad because (among other things) it requires a proprietary plug in to be able to use it, and that they prefer to use universal and open HTML5 videos? I donīt understand the details, but it seems that they would make sure their videos play in browsers that could support them, just like YouTube.
    Welcome to Apple's world... soon to be ruler of the universe... do as I say, not as I do...
    johncc likes this.