Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By redmist
  • 3 Post By kill_dano
  • 2 Post By ksht
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By fxspec06
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    My TouchPad seems to have WebOS 3.0.0 on it.

So where's 3.0.1?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    It's common for software to skip numbers before a release. Think nothing of it.
    It was never released. 3.0.2 has been in development for the last several months (according to multiple VP's at HP) so I'm assuming either 3.0.1 never happened or was an internal built that never saw the light of day. Sometimes, if there are enough updates, devs will skip a few numbers to represent the amount of changes in the underlying code.

Seeing that its been in the works for quite some time, I can only assume we'll have another update shortly after this one that will be more bug fixes from user input.
    Todd Bradleys 10 days expires tomorrow. His statement does leave some wriggle room though.

The company also plans to issue a software update for the tablet in about 10 days, he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Todd Bradleys 10 days expires tomorrow. His statement does leave some wriggle room though.

The company also plans to issue a software update for the tablet in about 10 days, he said.
    The key word is "about". And I also read from some other execs that the update would be out by the end of the month (July). So, if they get it out on July 31 and 11:59 PM, then they've held to their word.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post

Maybe they meant 10 working days
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    It's common for software to skip numbers before a release.
    I dont think so. Maybe in the webos land, not others. Especially the number after two "dots".

But you are right in saying it probably means little.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I dont think so. Maybe in the webos land, not others. Especially the number after two "dots".
    Only in webOS land? lol It's like that everywhere. Go find android 1.7, 1.8, or 1.9.
    Last edited by kill_Dano; 07/21/2011 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post

So where's 3.0.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    It's common for software to skip numbers before a release. Think nothing of it.
    While this is not true in all cases, generally companies follow this pattern for product versioning :X.YY.ZZ
    Where X is the major Architectural change (ex: 3.0 for Enyo, etc), YY is a major update and additional features, enhancements etc (same release level, but updates with in the same architecture), and ZZ is minor updates and bug fixes.
    End users (like us) may not see all minor releases since they would be internally managed and bundled together. Hope that helps.
    Sapient2k7 and SunnyPhono like this.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I've always interpreted Bradleys comments that it would be 'about' 10 days after the date the Kindle app was released. Being a long time Palm and webOS user, my personal expectation is no sooner than August 1. That date is based simply on giving HP some wiggle room - knowing that vague answers are vague for a reason.
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

But you are right in saying it probably means little.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    This is simply not true. Internally, a group will use (for instance) 5.01 . Then they will decide to add other fixes, and it becomes 5.03. They may continue to add, and finally decide to release to beta as 5.1 . Beta testers may then discover additional issues, and final release my be 5.2 (or something even different than that).
    Release numbers mean nothing. WebOS went from 1.4.1 to 1.4.5 to 2.0. It's all somewhat arbitrary.

Maybe there was a 3.0.1 that they tested internally, and then moved on to "let's just hold it to 3.0.2."
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    fxspec06 likes this.
    it's common for a software house to have multiple "versions" in development at the same time. these are called branches. i wouldn't be surprise if there's already a 3.1 or even a 3.2 branch in the works with some of the more major enhancements targeted for it. the plan is usually to get all the changes from the 3.0.x branch and merge it into the 3.1. although that doesn't always happen and that's when you see bugs that have been fixed in a previous release reoccur.

it's possible that 3.0.1 is going to the at&t version. maybe at&t needed it sooner so they can do their own testing and the hp froze what goes into that 3.0.1 patch and started created a 3.0.2 for the public release.

i find it hard to believe that project manager will create a version that's not intended for release. version numbers are precious so i have to think that 3.0.1 is intended for release to someone at some point. if it's only for internal consumption, then they can just use build numbers....as in 3.0.1 BL1234.
    Im sure there are versions made that are not meant for the public. And since they have to keep track of what versions are made, they cant just simply release versions to us in order to fit OUR needs.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    It's not uncommon in development to not release an update due to bugs or outstanding work to be done. Sometimes they have a version ready but would rather hold back the release until further features or fixes are completed rather than going through the work and cost of releasing two small updates. It may only be available internally for QA/Testing or to developers. When the final stable release is ready it has progressed to the point that it warrants another version to distinguish its self. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    WebOS Devices: Palm Pre-, HP Touchpad
    Android: HTC G1, HTC Evo 4G
    So when he said 'in about 10 days', what he really said was 'in the coming months...'

Oh come on. I couldn't resist
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Wayles likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post

So where's 3.0.1?
    What build is it

There's more than just release numbers..

There's build vers. As well.

A vers. May go through several builds before I gets released to public.. So an inter 3.0.2 rc may very well end up being an OTA update of 3.0.1 build 74

Don't take the internal build numbers as a final version number..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    speaking of version numbers have you seen the kindle version number? it hasnt even made it to 1 yet.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.