Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just got my TouchPad today and I am a huge WebOS fan, but this product is just so buggy.

"Just Type," probably the most talked about feature in WebOS 2.0, doesn't even work correctly, I type in names of apps I have on my touchpad and it doesn't even list them...I typed in "USA today," and it did not list it. I checked and "apps," is on in just type.

Also the calender takes so long to sync, it is kind of ridiculous.

I am still deciding if I want to keep my touchpad or return it. Just so buggy. It freezes at odd points and doesn't recognize swipes and touch inputs. I was going to random apps and stuff...nothing to intensive, and it would freeze for 5-10 seconds at different intervals. I don't know what the OTA is suppose to do, but this product is just not up to par. I am sure that the original iPad had lots of issues and honeycomb tablets are still not there, but HP needs to step up their game, and stop releasing products that compete with Apple SIX months ago.

I had the original Pre, and i have the same issues that should have been resolved 2+ years ago. On my Pre, I would open a gmail e-mail and there would be no text in the body, and I would have to wait or restart, and the SAME thing happens on the TouchPad.

I want google maps...I want a dedicated youtube video app, the fact that it goes to youtube makes no sense...create a standalone youtube app. Also they should have different apps for video and photo, and syncing to FB takes so long to get all your photos.

I do love the facebook app and other features, but the upside doesn't even compare to the issues of this product.

Also maybe the stupidest thing that HP could have done...not including a camera app and photo booth app. There is no way to take a picture with the TouchPad. How do you include a camera and not have an app to record video and stuff.

This isn't as bad as the Playbook, but it is just a shock. Also Pandora should have been your first apps on the TouchPad.

So many bugs and issues that this thread can go on forever...is this OTA going to be like 300+ megabytes...I am giving it until August 1st and if the OTA isn't as good as Jon Rubinstein promised then I will send it back.
    I type in names of apps I have on my touchpad and it doesn't even list them.
    Just Type is working how it's designed to work, and if it sometimes doesn't meet your expectations, that does not imply it is not working.

Typically it works by comparing what you type with the beginning of the separated words of the application name. Meaning you will not find the Facebook app by searching for "book" or InterfaceLIFT by searching for "face" or "lift".

Additionally it will search for keywords in the metadata of the application. Something that way to many developers do not utilize properly. This part of the search will for example result in apps like Koto Player and Sound Settings being listed when searching for "music".

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    No I don't think it works like it's advertised..

e.g. I have the Spaz twitter client installed. It's name is "Spaz HD Beta Preview 1"

Typing "Spaz" into JustType should find it, no?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    try typing just spaz.....mine found it just fine, and if you would like a video of me doing it ask and I'll deliver

and I actually have both spaz editions, they both pop up

@OP August 1....oya lucky USA gets 30 days while the rest of the world gets 14...

I think I've already stated mine isn't going back unless I find something so horribly wrong that I can't use it anymore, but I just don't think that's going to happen.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    redmist likes this.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Well I'll provide a video of it NOT working
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts

HaHa there we go!

Sorry the quality is TERRIBLE. Back using my G1 while waiting for a pre3

Anyway, I'm willing to accept something is wrong with my TouchPad. Anyone know how to get it working like sledge007's touchpad does?

EDIT: I know someone is going to suggest that "Apps" is not checked in the JustType settings, but it is
    Last edited by RedMist; 07/21/2011 at 05:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    I just got my TouchPad today and I am a huge WebOS fan, but this product is just so buggy.

"Just Type," probably the most talked about feature in WebOS 2.0, doesn't even work correctly, I type in names of apps I have on my touchpad and it doesn't even list them...I typed in "USA today," and it did not list it. I checked and "apps," is on in just type.

Also the calender takes so long to sync, it is kind of ridiculous.

I am still deciding if I want to keep my touchpad or return it. Just so buggy. It freezes at odd points and doesn't recognize swipes and touch inputs. I was going to random apps and stuff...nothing to intensive, and it would freeze for 5-10 seconds at different intervals. I don't know what the OTA is suppose to do, but this product is just not up to par. I am sure that the original iPad had lots of issues and honeycomb tablets are still not there, but HP needs to step up their game, and stop releasing products that compete with Apple SIX months ago.

I had the original Pre, and i have the same issues that should have been resolved 2+ years ago. On my Pre, I would open a gmail e-mail and there would be no text in the body, and I would have to wait or restart, and the SAME thing happens on the TouchPad.

I want google maps...I want a dedicated youtube video app, the fact that it goes to youtube makes no sense...create a standalone youtube app. Also they should have different apps for video and photo, and syncing to FB takes so long to get all your photos.

I do love the facebook app and other features, but the upside doesn't even compare to the issues of this product.

Also maybe the stupidest thing that HP could have done...not including a camera app and photo booth app. There is no way to take a picture with the TouchPad. How do you include a camera and not have an app to record video and stuff.

This isn't as bad as the Playbook, but it is just a shock. Also Pandora should have been your first apps on the TouchPad.

So many bugs and issues that this thread can go on forever...is this OTA going to be like 300+ megabytes...I am giving it until August 1st and if the OTA isn't as good as Jon Rubinstein promised then I will send it back.
    Please bear in mind that several services take a while to set up in the background after first use of the touchpad and slow it down initially. After adding all your synergy apps, email etc give it some time, shut down and restart, your device will be a lot faster. I think HP should have programmed some automatic restarts ala windows after initial setup to address this.
    Now two wks after owning my TP, it's light yrs faster,much more stable and it rarely lags unlike the first few days. The only persistent bug is the audio dropout now.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    I think HP should have programmed some automatic restarts ala windows after initial setup to address this.
    If you mean initial set up, then yes, touchpad already does a reboot after that.

If you mean every app installation, then no, its inefficient, especially considering the slow boot speed. It would be ridiculous to end users.

--
    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    ok bear with me, lol I was busy in another thread....one YouTube video coming up with a side of fries!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I had the just type issue you described yesterday about not finding apps for the first time. Today it seems to be working fine again.
    This morning my screen would not wake up. The light was flashing so I knew it was on, but it did not wake. Pressing power and center did not work, pressing power, center and volume did not work. Finally after multiple presses,the screen awoke.
    Bradley was quoted by Bloomberg about ten days ago that the OTA oukd come in about ten days. This type of performance will not work for average person (already I've been told that I am unbelievably patient suggesting that most people would have sought another OS by now.) After this morning's bug, it can't get here soon enough for me. And it would help, HP, if we could get dates on when OTA's are expected to come as you have a market leader competitor who consistently delivers their promised fixes.
    Thanks!
    bada-boom-bada-bing!
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    bada-boom-bada-bing!
    Ha! The delay was so you could Photoshop it. You don't fool me
    sledge007 likes this.
    haha I knew that was coming, lol. I'm pretty good eh? lol
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    BTW, I rebooted and it works now
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    If you mean initial set up, then yes, touchpad already does a reboot after that.

If you mean every app installation, then no, its inefficient, especially considering the slow boot speed. It would be ridiculous to end users.

--
    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Definitely needs more than one reboot, my device didn't get to full speed till after the 3rd restart.
    All,

There is a bug with the Touchpad that somehow kills functionality in Just Type. My alarm clock (Simple Alarms) woke me 5 minutes before I read this thread. I noticed that the alarm messed up my whoosing sound, no big deal, I figured I'd restart Luna (theres a patch for that!) later. Then I read this post and decided to try to replicate the OP's experience. My Just Type could not find any apps at all. I know it worked before. I used it several times. So I restarted Luna. About 40 seconds later and sounds are back and Just Type works fine again. The OP may have found another bug. Ashakouri1, was your event sounds gone when this happened?
    Just type is wonderful, if I type in Twitter, it pulls up Spaz and Glimpse. If you're having bugs with it, we'll help you fix them.
    diddly4 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    EDIT: I know someone is going to suggest that "Apps" is not checked in the JustType settings, but it is
    I was just about to suggest this. Have you tried turning it off, closing the settings app, opening it and turning it back on?
    I was just about to suggest this. Have you tried turning it off, closing the settings app, opening it and turning it back on?
    And perhaps do a reboot in between as well. All in all, it's a computer and they — yeah know!

Just type is wonderful, if I type in Twitter, it pulls up Spaz and Glimpse.
    That's proper implementation of keywords in the applications meta-tag, something I've seen way to many apps missing.

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    bada-boom-bada-bing!
    the background music makes it all dramatic

MYTH BUSTED!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

sledge007 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast