Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #21  
    there is some type of intermittent bug w just type....happened to me to where cant search for an installed app like I do with webos 2.1. Hard to reproduce.

    also affects google search intrrmitntly only part of the searcch keyword gets searched
  2. #22  
    I suspect that what folks are seeing with Just Type "not working" is that it hasn't yet finished populating the database. A new (or newly doctored) device that pulls down an existing profile pulls down dozens of "new" (to the device) apps. Their names and meta data, along with all the other info that Just Type checks, has to be pulled into the database.

    We wanted it to "do more", this is one of the trade-offs of those extended capabilities.
  3. redmist's Avatar
    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect that what folks are seeing with Just Type "not working" is that it hasn't yet finished populating the database. A new (or newly doctored) device that pulls down an existing profile pulls down dozens of "new" (to the device) apps. Their names and meta data, along with all the other info that Just Type checks, has to be pulled into the database.

    We wanted it to "do more", this is one of the trade-offs of those extended capabilities.
    Not in my case. I installed Spaz HD on Monday. It appeared in JustType immediately when I rebooted.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Not in my case. I installed Spaz HD on Monday. It appeared in JustType immediately when I rebooted.
    And that could mean that it was in the database, but not the others (if they weren't showing up yet).

    Once the database is populated, adding a new program involves very little in the way of updates.
  5. redmist's Avatar
    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And that could mean that it was in the database, but not the others (if they weren't showing up yet).

    Once the database is populated, adding a new program involves very little in the way of updates.
    No I mean Spaz wasn't showing up, or anything else, until I rebooted. Even built-in apps did not show up in Just Type.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  6. #26  
    my experience was similar to the OP and because of that I have told my friends to hold off on buying touchpad until I have had a chance to see how the first update works. Since, just type is such a big part of what makes webOS so wonderful a buggy implementation does leave a very sour taste. I did notice that it is working fine now. I have rebooted the device several times now (since the first time I had this issue) so that may have fixed it.

    On a side note I have noticed several other improvements as well I thought HP was SECRETLY updating touchpad but I guess it just needed to reboot a few times.
  7.    #27  
    I think the issue is that you can't restart the device. You have to actually go and shut down and turn on. I was going to device info, and doing a restart, but the apps weren't being populated, but when i went to shut down and turned it back on the apps started appearing. I had done the restart 3 times, but the full shut down worked.

    Also, just a suggestion, it would be nice that if you missed typed, that Just Type would still populate similar sounding apps, like I typed in "UDA," cause I mistyped, but nothing showed up, but when I did "USA" the USA today app showed up, would be nice if in both instances the app showed up. It works on the Android, and although "just type" is worlds better than android search, just a neat feature.


    But back to the 2nd half of my original post. No Native camera or video app. Also the "photo and video" app should not search facebook everytime, it should just do it occasionally. I think that's why TouchPad is slow, cause the Photo and Video app tries to sync to FB all the time, also would be nice to see the comments that were posted on the pictures (a feature i thought I saw).

    But still overall, really slow and buggy, the rotation is kind of a pain, I tilt it a little and the whole rotation changes. And I think it is ridiculous to have to restart it so many times to get the full feature, (I don't mind restarting, but you think average Joe at Best Buy knows this? With a large battery life, they may never shut it down).

    And what happened to all the apps that HP was developing? They said that they were going to develop so many apps, and try to get the ball rolling, the app catalog is decent right now, but you need to have pandora, shazam, pulse news reader, taptu, NY Times, ESPN, or their counter parts. Pandora should have been #1, that is just a basic app at this point.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    But still overall, really slow and buggy, the rotation is kind of a pain, I tilt it a little and the whole rotation changes.
    Have you tried the rotation lock by any chance? In the top right menu close to the bottom?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    And I think it is ridiculous to have to restart it so many times to get the full feature, (I don't mind restarting, but you think average Joe at Best Buy knows this? With a large battery life, they may never shut it down).
    I'm not sure I quite understand the whole re-starting thing you're going through. I've had to restart a few times to get the wifi locked down to my phone, but we're talking a handful of times at best.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9. Wh0mpu5's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    #29  
    All i can say , is that if your unhappy with the performance try the preware patches , the performance is increased significantly , as far as just type not working for you , i can;t comment to much on as mine works fine , but i would hardly say that this product was not ready for market simply based on one detail .

    My 2 cents
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    I think the issue is that you can't restart the device. You have to actually go and shut down and turn on. I was going to device info, and doing a restart, but the apps weren't being populated, but when i went to shut down and turned it back on the apps started appearing. I had done the restart 3 times, but the full shut down worked.

    Also, just a suggestion, it would be nice that if you missed typed, that Just Type would still populate similar sounding apps, like I typed in "UDA," cause I mistyped, but nothing showed up, but when I did "USA" the USA today app showed up, would be nice if in both instances the app showed up. It works on the Android, and although "just type" is worlds better than android search, just a neat feature.


    But back to the 2nd half of my original post. No Native camera or video app. Also the "photo and video" app should not search facebook everytime, it should just do it occasionally. I think that's why TouchPad is slow, cause the Photo and Video app tries to sync to FB all the time, also would be nice to see the comments that were posted on the pictures (a feature i thought I saw).

    But still overall, really slow and buggy, the rotation is kind of a pain, I tilt it a little and the whole rotation changes. And I think it is ridiculous to have to restart it so many times to get the full feature, (I don't mind restarting, but you think average Joe at Best Buy knows this? With a large battery life, they may never shut it down).

    And what happened to all the apps that HP was developing? They said that they were going to develop so many apps, and try to get the ball rolling, the app catalog is decent right now, but you need to have pandora, shazam, pulse news reader, taptu, NY Times, ESPN, or their counter parts. Pandora should have been #1, that is just a basic app at this point.
    Complaining about features that have never been on the spec sheet, the nonexistence of which could have been confirmed by your own eyes at any retail outlet (if you felt the need to do that) before you bought it seems . . . I dunno . . .

    If you hate the device as much as you claim, my advice is to return it immediately if not sooner and get on with your life.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'm not sure I quite understand the whole re-starting thing you're going through. I've had to restart a few times to get the wifi locked down to my phone, but we're talking a handful of times at best.
    Don't you mean, a handful of times at worst?

    =p
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Don't you mean, a handful of times at worst?

    =p
    ya something like that. I (knock on wood) have not had ANY instance where I needed to reboot due to freezing or sluggish behaviour. I read the thread that goes something along the lines of My TouchPad is Screamin Fast. I followed those tips before I did anything other than the initial setup/sync. So, TBH, I've never used it "factory-out-of-the-box" & I'm ok with that.

    My only reason for having to reboot have been wifi related. I know what causes it & how to prevent it, just sometimes I forget and walk away from the TouchPad (phone in pocket, TP in truck)without turning off the wifi signal first, then when I get back in range,it won't connect (ip config failed msg)

    Bit of an inconvenience but I'm pretty sure that's the issue, hopefully it'll get fixed.

    Again, it's not something I'm going to take it back for.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post


    HaHa there we go!

    Sorry the quality is TERRIBLE. Back using my G1 while waiting for a pre3

    Anyway, I'm willing to accept something is wrong with my TouchPad. Anyone know how to get it working like sledge007's touchpad does?

    EDIT: I know someone is going to suggest that "Apps" is not checked in the JustType settings, but it is
    Thanks for the video. I have the same thing happen to me. I can't figure out what causes it to happen. What patches do you/if any installed? Also was your profile new or one from an existing phone? I have removed patches with no effect.

    Rebooting the Touchpad seems to solve it but it comes back.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  14. #34  
    HP had the opportunity to rebuild an excellent operating system from the ground up and fluffed it up? webOS 3.0 seems to have held onto all of the problems and inefficiencies webOS had before the rewrite and gained a few more of its own.

    I'm sad.
  15. #35  
    Actually the one thing that I do think works well is just type. Try typing in just the initials of someone in your address book. Pretty cool.
  16. #36  
    Real quick.

    I have had my HP Touchpad since day 1, so for 22 days.

    I Love WebOS from my Sprint Pre- (still working original no trade ins), my Unlocked Pre 2 on AT&T and now my HP TouchPad.

    I have had this bug as recent as 2 days ago. I was toggling the Wifi and Bluetooth off and on thru several hours of tasks and getting used to my Bluetooth Keyboard. Just type would not find "WIFI" or "Bluetooth"? I went to the menu and launched the settings from the menu. Next day until now no problems. There are a few ticks and quirks in the OS. I am neither offended or surprised by them, and I am sure not returning my HP TouchPad!

    I would really like my update soon!

    Regards
    graylion
  17. #37  
    I have the OPs problem intermittently. Reboot fixes it, but I usually just find the app in the launcher
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions