Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    palm just posted a new blog article about music and movies, and said that customers outside the usa have to use viewster for movies.

last time I checked the featured movies on viewster were crapshoot and some films from the 1920`s.

at least the new music app is universal, but hp are having a laugh if they think viewster is an alternative to the proper movie store.

even using impostah to get the hp movie store only gives you less than ten films.
    I was already scared this would happen...
    Seriously? - please tell me this is an April fool in July...

seems not....

"New HP webOS apps can now bring millions of movies, TV shows, and songs directly to your HP TouchPad. With the HP MovieStore powered by RoxioNow -- a Rovi company, U.S. TouchPad customers can rent or buy recent films and TV programs from leading studios and networks. Videos can be downloaded so you can watch your favorite titles anywhere, even when no Internet connection is available. For TouchPad customers outside the U.S., the Viewster app offers access to on-demand movie and TV content, via subscription, rental, and -- in major markets -- free ad-supported viewing."

full post: http://blog.palm.com/palm/
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/21/2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: combined two consecutive posts
    Unfortunately it's not surprising. Licensing for movie stuff is hell.
    is the app (viewster) available now in the catalog? I will be interested to see what it is like....
  6.    #6  
    Viewster is in the app catalog, it really doesnt have many films at all, but if you go to thier website, they say they are still in beta and will eventually offer a subscription based service, as well as rented tv and movies when they come out of beta.

So, it might be good eventually, but this could be months and months away and may not be any good when it does come out.

I really do not understand why hp didnt go with Lovefilm here in the uk at least. Lovefilm is flash based(although doesnt work in the browser as the site doesnt recognise the version of flash the touchpad runs), so it would be very easy to create an app, with a flash player and the ability to log into your account.

One thing that does work for uk movie fans is BlinkBox, they offer a decent selection of films, and the films play nice with the touchpads browser.
    The only thing I liked about this thread was seeing Captain Spaulding's smiling face.

Oh well, they don't want me to PAY for movies....I have OTHER alternative methods to get what I want.

There's a pile of streamable movie sites that are legit by the way...I know there's a thread somewhere around here that lists off a bunch, and I'm pretty sure I can dig a few more up
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by fredwyn View Post
    Viewster is in the app catalog, it really doesnt have many films at all, but if you go to thier website, they say they are still in beta and will eventually offer a subscription based service, as well as rented tv and movies when they come out of beta.
    From what I can see, Viewster has been in beta since November 2010.. we could be in for a long wait! lol

Thanks for the BlinkBox info.. I will check them out.
    The West's system of media licensing is thoroughly broken, and I reckon that RIAA/MPAA executives and their brethren around the globe (GEMA here in Germany) will be amongst the first against the wall when the revolution starts.

The problem with the HP movie store is that it's not actually run by HP but by RoxioNow, who apparently only have sufficient streaming rights for the US.

What HP should do, and not in the long run, is to introduce Movie Synergy, make a really robust new video app, allow users to enter their user credentials for whichever cloud video service they like, and make all the content just show up in the Videos app just like Facebook pictures automatically show up in the Photos app now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually working on something like this, actually, but I would also not be surprised if it was on the back burner as other stuff is getting prioritized right now.
    de_great likes this.
    Movies have very specific right issues but HP should still find a solution to partner with local providers or offer (like iTunes) localized versions of the HP Movie Store with specific content. A good option in the UK would be potentially LoveFilm.

Moreover in the meantime, HP should fix as soon as possible the poor indexing/sorting options in the photos/videos app - starting by splitting it back in 2 separate apps (video and photos) and adding file name/thumbnail preview and sorting for movies. The TouchPad would also benefit from a broader codec support (.avi divx/xvid, .mkv for instance) either at the webOS level or through 3rd party apps (I'd love to see a TP port of VLC or webOS 3.0 version of Kalemsoft Video Player)

Outside the US is seems that the TouchPad needs a robust separate video player app with broad codec support and file names/thumbnail previews either from HP or from a 3rd party! Eventually, I hope that HP will offer local versions of the Movie Store or to see the gap filled by other providers with a broad catalogue (Viewster has a good interface but their selection is way too limited and niche)
    Last edited by damienh; 07/21/2011 at 06:48 AM.
    So far i'm not too impressed with HP's global scale.

Here's how I see it for non-US customers.
    1) Released at least 2 weeks later. No-biggie, but makes us feel like second class citizens.
    2) Near zero marketing. Still haven't seen a TV ad slot in the UK.
    3) No 'make it right' deal. In the UK a Pre- owner has zero carries to choose from for a replacement phone. (Yes, I know you can buy a Pre 2 direct from HP, but most everyone else will not know this)
    4) No Kindle app. Yet at least. Why the heck not. It's available on every other platform.
    5) No Movie Store. I'm fairly sure the apple store works almost everywhere.

This stuff is starting to stack up and making the TP look pretty poor against it's fruit based rival for those who don't live in the USA.
    KalemSoft Media Player has just been released for the TouchPad on the App Catalogue ;-)

This is a good app to watch videos with a wide variety of codec support (including .avi divx/xvid, etc...)

At least .avi files won't need to be converted to .mp4 to work on the TP
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post

1) Released at least 2 weeks later. No-biggie, but makes us feel like second class citizens.
    3) No 'make it right' deal. In the UK a Pre- owner has zero carries to choose from for a replacement phone. (Yes, I know you can buy a Pre 2 direct from HP, but most everyone else will not know this)
    4) No Kindle app. Yet at least. Why the heck not. It's available on every other platform.

This stuff is starting to stack up and making the TP look pretty poor against it's fruit based rival for those who don't live in the USA.
    Yeah, it is very frustrating for us Brits - if you are an HP exec though then the UK is about the same size as Texas - we don't really figure in their plans . The difference (and often missed in the US too) is that our population density is much higher than the US so the two comparisons don't stack up. Europe is also complicated to a US$ orientated business - multiple languages and currencies to contend with - I've met US cistizens in the last year that were staggered to learn that we don't use the US dollar in the UK.....one even asked if we don't get dollars then what do we get paid in....
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post

1) at least is WRONG. In Germany we got the touchpad TWO days earlier than in US. This was great. I'm still sry for the brits and dont understand the delay.
    2) this is a pity.
    3) also very sad about it. Have the Pre since start in Okt 2009 (3 months delay!) and would appreciate this
    4) wouldnt bother me much if they would have another platform
    5) a better movie media player or store would be great. this is also a pity.

Looking forward to test kaleb on the touchpad. On pre it worked fine. Have not tried it with my veer so far.
    I think HP could really make a change if they would focus outside US. I think here are the people very open to a new OS-platform, if this is right promoted. They don't want the best of the best (or at least what seems like), but s.th. nice.
    I could see 2 weeks for the UK.....even though FedEx ships WORLDWIDE overnight....(I know it's bloody amazing isn't it?). I can drive to the USA in about hmm 2...2.5 hours? It was kind of a nuisance, but at the same time....during that 2 week period, I got a lot of first hand reviews which did help me make my decision.

@damianh....thanks for pointing that out! I may very well get that here shortly, I see nobody has downloaded/reviewed it yet, maybe I'll reciprocate...it's only $6.99. I've paid more for less (cough, cough...WinRemote...cough, cough). Worst $9.99 I ever spent.

Found a webOSRoundUp article on that app here:
    http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/06/...-video-player/
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Just a general comment on the HP Movie and any Music Stores. Yeah it it would be great if the HP stores were available from day one in all countries and I'm sure they will get rolled out everywhere eventually, but one of the great things is HP aren't trying to funnel all media purchases through HP. There are already a few options other than HP out there and these will grow. For music in the UK I've just found the 7Digital app which is great. For other platform the "official Platform" has to work in all countries as there aren't any other options.
    Wait!!!!!

EU still reclaim of delay? 2 weeks?

Try to live in Brazil, where we can see the ToucHPad promised to Portugal in 2012 and NO release set here...

Do you can buy a PrPrPr $2$ $in$ $HP$ $site$? $We$ $don$'$t$! $Do$ $you$ $have$ $a$ $Pr$-? $We$ $don$'$t$...

Serious, I think in forget the webOS for two or three years, until the HP really can be a global company... because now, is working in same steps that Palm: looking to USA + two or three countries and forgetting the ROW...

While this here, we have a Google Market, AppStore, etc, etc, etc... and ONLY free apps in AppCatalog, without option to buy some app, movie or music...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    hagster likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by damienh View Post
    Movies have very specific right issues but HP should still find a solution to partner with local providers or offer (like iTunes) localized versions of the HP Movie Store with specific content. A good option in the UK would be potentially LoveFilm.

Moreover in the meantime, HP should fix as soon as possible the poor indexing/sorting options in the photos/videos app - starting by splitting it back in 2 separate apps (video and photos) and adding file name/thumbnail preview and sorting for movies. The TouchPad would also benefit from a broader codec support (.avi divx/xvid, .mkv for instance) either at the webOS level or through 3rd party apps (I'd love to see a TP port of VLC or webOS 3.0 version of Kalemsoft Video Player)

Outside the US is seems that the TouchPad needs a robust separate video player app with broad codec support and file names/thumbnail previews either from HP or from a 3rd party! Eventually, I hope that HP will offer local versions of the Movie Store or to see the gap filled by other providers with a broad catalogue (Viewster has a good interface but their selection is way too limited and niche)
    HP should work on Synergy with Amazon to have Books, Music, and Video payment and delivery integration.

*Edit
    Actually, I just tried the 7 digital MP3 music store and it's very good indeed as an alternative to iTunes. So what's needed is payment integration via Palm profile.

NB) The issue with media files copied over from USB is down to be fixed in the OTA update.
    Last edited by db3.uk; 07/21/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_wardy View Post
    Just a general comment on the HP Movie and any Music Stores. Yeah it it would be great if the HP stores were available from day one in all countries and I'm sure they will get rolled out everywhere eventually, but one of the great things is HP aren't trying to funnel all media purchases through HP. There are already a few options other than HP out there and these will grow. For music in the UK I've just found the 7Digital app which is great. For other platform the "official Platform" has to work in all countries as there aren't any other options.
    I don't think it's HP's fault for it now being worldwide. I believe it is each countries respective regulations that hold things up. In Canada the CRTC basically gives us nothing and holds everything up... including a crap selection in netflix for PC's. Thats ok though, because I have a certain favorite site in Sweden that is Always up to date.
    I wouldn't cry too much over the HP Movie Store. I think it has too small a collection at too high a rental rate. There are other, better alternatives (Zediva, Amazon On Demand), although again, I'm not sure about their availability in other countries. Nonetheless, I do agree with our friends across the pond that given that HP is a global business, there is no excuse why they appear to only be cozying up to us yanks.
    All for One and One for All!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast