webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Force Restart Your Touchpad
Force Restart Your Touchpad
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By DJFLYNT
  • 3 Post By bevcraw

Old 07/21/2011, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Has your Touchpad freezed up on you? I accidentally stumbled upon the force restart option for the Touchpad. I have not read about this anywhere else so I'm posting this.

Last night my Touchpad stopped responding to anything (screen touches, button presses.) Without the option to remove the battery, I figured HP must have included a way to force restart by using physical buttons. So I discovered you have to hold down these three for about 10 seconds:

The Power Button
The Center Button
The Up Volume Button

Even if you're not having any issues, try this!
DJFLYNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and pistolpete44us like this.
Old 07/21/2011, 03:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
rot

should be enough to press and hold the power, while pressing the center button for about 15 times in row.
rot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rot View Post
should be enough to press and hold the power, while pressing the center button for about 15 times in row.
That'll take about 15 screenshots before restarting, if it even restarts after that. The power + center button is used to take screenshots.
DJFLYNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 05:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFLYNT View Post
Has your Touchpad freezed up on you? I accidentally stumbled upon the force restart option for the Touchpad. I have not read about this anywhere else so I'm posting this.

Last night my Touchpad stopped responding to anything (screen touches, button presses.) Without the option to remove the battery, I figured HP must have included a way to force restart by using physical buttons. So I discovered you have to hold down these three for about 10 seconds:

The Power Button
The Center Button
The Up Volume Button

Great tip, was trying to figure that out. Used it today after I lost audio.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2011, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
That'll take about 15 screenshots before restarting, if it even restarts after that. The power + center button is used to take screenshots.
HP's recommended method of restart uses the two buttons:

T3.Trigger a restart
1 Press and hold the power button.
2 While still holding down the power button, press and hold
Center until the HP logo appears (about 15 seconds).

Palm Support : 5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again

Screenshot is the opposite order -- press and hold center, then tap power button.
Old 12/03/2011, 04:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

The Power Button
The Center Button
The Up Volume Button

Thank you. Apparently my battery was dead and it would not start. I pressed Power + Volume Up and the big USB icon appeared and it would not go away. I started praying. Now she is charging and hopes are high!
rtwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2011, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

The Power Button
The Center Button
The Up Volume Button

This is known and has been posted multiple times before. It is a complete wipe/complete off. Once tp enters this mode, the power key will not respond until you hit both the power and home keys (reset).

Also, beware that the battery is still draining in the complete off mode (weird). If you set it in this mode for too long, you'll find your tp non-responsive (fake brick) because it is completely out of power. At this time, you have to plug the power in, then hit reset (power and home) for a long long time to restart tp and charge tp. When you are in the complete off mode, tp does not charge even if you plug the power in. You have to reset it as mentioned above. Beware!

Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/03/2011 at 06:45 AM.
greenskinredeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm trying to restart mine and using the above have been able to shut off and get the blank screen but when I try to restart it i get the HP logo but it doesn't restart even waiting for several minutes. i tried this two or three times even putting on the Touchstone charger.. Any tips on this problem? POSTSCRIPT: Finally after doing this one more time I put it on the touchstone once again and took about ten minilutes getting ready to take it to the techies at Staples. Lo and behold when I went to get it , it was back to normal. I'm begiinning to believe to believe that the Touchpad is like an old Jaguar or MG, lots of fun while it's running but temperamental and requiiring lots of TLC.
jpash549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was not right. Not back to normal. Some apps are working but others not apparently because the device has lost my web OS account reference. Monday back to HP support to try to get it back on the machine. Very peculiar.
jpash549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2011, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Also be aware, when resetting like this, it seems the Palm default kernel is loaded and you have to reselect your overclock kernel once again, at least it does on mine.
Sabrewulf... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2011, 02:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewulf... View Post
Also be aware, when resetting like this, it seems the Palm default kernel is loaded and you have to reselect your overclock kernel once again, at least it does on mine.
This is implemented that way. Not the Palm kernel is back but the default settings. Since rebooting like this is like a crash and youi risc a foulty filesystem.
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2012, 12:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Wow, I was really stuck and Home+Power for some reason never worked on my TP, thank you very much for the Power and home 15 times method!
markchang.4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/2012, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

The Power Button
The Center Button
The Up Volume Button

Thanks! Only issue was could not power back on afterwards - but read further in this thread and found the way to do that. Saved me from waiting for it to lose power on its own.
pistolpete44us is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
force restart, restarting touchpad, touchpad freeze

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0