Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jack87
  1.    #1  
    I am a longtime fan of WebOS and I don't want to get any other os besides it. Unfortunately, I seem to be having trouble finding a solution for coding on the touchpad. Note: I am not trying to code touchpad apps, rather code ON the touchpad. I am going away next week and I need an IDE to take with me to make sure my work does not fall apart while I am gone.

tl;dr: Does anyone have an IDE that is/can be ported onto the touchpad.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i saw a post the other day of eclipse running on the touchpad, not sure how well it works though. webos-internals has some info on their wiki page i think.
    webos-internals.org/wiki/UbuntuChroot
    Not an IDE (bleh!) but certainly a solution is installing a terminal and using Vi.
    In the Webos-internals forum, in the X server on the Pre thread, I discovered that the Xecutah/XTerm/Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot app/combo is actually working on the Touchpad. I've got a pretty nice Linux install running in a card on my TouchPad (Including LibreOffice, Vinagre, and an smb connection to my Windows 2003 server directories).

Although there are still some keyboard issues to iron out, like no onscreen keyboard without the Developer Beta Firmware and some ctrl key functions (making it pretty difficult to use Vi or Nano - gedit works fine), using a BT keyboard works great.

I'm not sure what IDE you want to install (I'm not fluent in dev speak at all, really), but if it runs on linux and there's a ARM implementation available in the repository, you're probably good to go!
    I haven't tried them, but what about these web-based IDE's?

CodeRun - Online IDE
    ShiftEdit - Online IDE | ShiftEdit
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza666 View Post
    I haven't tried them, but what about these web-based IDE's?

CodeRun - Online IDE
    ShiftEdit - Online IDE | ShiftEdit
    If a web-based IDE is acceptable, use Ares. Even though it currently supports Mojo, HP is modifying it to also support ENYO.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    Cloud9ide.com is another one to try. It's a javascript based IDE for javascript. I've been thinking about writing a WebOS plugin for it. It's all based on Node.jsjsjs $also$, $so$ $it$ $could$ $run$ $locally$ $on$ $a$ $TP$ $without$ $an$ $internet$ $connection$.
    Work in progress Application:Tide - WebOS Internals

TouchpadIDE = TIDE

Mr. Puffy is on top of it.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Wozza666 and dwightshrute like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Work in progress Application:Tide - WebOS Internals

TouchpadIDE = TIDE

Mr. Puffy is on top of it.
    using ace! Cool, I was thinking the same thing
    Oooh that looks sweet.
    This is going to ROCk!
    I don't think most web based ide's work in the touchpad. cloud9 and coderun dont.
    shiftedit craps out while typing.
    how can you get that app, i am extremely interested and would like to donate, but would like to get a hold of it. any idea?
    you could try codeanywhere.com it seemed to work on an android phone and on my wp7 when i had them, (all webos now) i have not had the chance to test it out on the touchpad yet, but i would rather use something that did not require and internet connection. i bnought a touchpad solely for web development on the go and would love to get my hands on tIDE, anyone know opf anything else or how to get tIDE? also, ill post back when i can test codeanywhere.
    I just tested codeanywhere.net and no luck. Can't do anything with it.
    Does anyone know what the latest is with this dev?
    I mean seriously. Isn't that what laptops are for?
    you can get TIDE(touchpad IDE) from preware. might need to add the testing feed to preware to get it to show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    you can get TIDE(touchpad IDE) from preware. might need to add the testing feed to preware to get it to show up.
    You sir, are a king amongst men. I had to update my feeds but am now rolling tIDE!