Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    This has been WebOS's biggest glitch so far. How is it on the TP?
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Worse than the VZW pre+ (because it does not have a GPS)
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The Location Services on the TP works great as long as you are connected to a WiFi Network. Of course, your location is pin-pointed to the nearest open router that Google's Services can see. No physical GPS in the TP currently.
  4.    #4  
    Oh yeah...forgot a carrier version isn't out yet.
    Yank, when I first read the topic, I assumed you were trolling since the lack of gps is such a glaring omission for a modern pad

The wifi location service does seem reasonable, and I will be interested to hear whether the AT&T version has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    It's not webOS' glitch.
    It was VZ's "glitch". You know that.

It always worked just fine on the Sprint Pres.
    Seriously. It's my biggest pet peeve to do with the webOS community: how people complain about "Palm's GPS Issue."

FOR THE LAST TIME: Verizon Wireless is thoughtless company run by people who care about nothing but gorging themselves with money at the expense of user experience. THEY are responsible for all of the Pre Plus' GPS woes. NOT Palm.

Damn.
    8 inch version should hopefully have gps, or a way to get gps info from the phone via blue tooth or tts.

...too soon?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Seriously. It's my biggest pet peeve to do with the webOS community: how people complain about "Palm's GPS Issue."

FOR THE LAST TIME: Verizon Wireless is thoughtless company run by people who care about nothing but gorging themselves with money at the expense of user experience. THEY are responsible for all of the Pre Plus' GPS woes. NOT Palm.

Damn.
    I give Palm a pass for the GPS issue on the VZW Pre Plus. Perhaps they didn't know VZW would cripple it (if that indeed is what happened). However, I do NOT give them a pass for the Pre 2 still not having solidly functional GPS on VZW. With all the uproar over the bad GPS in the VZW Pre Plus, there should have been no way whatsoever they released another phone to VZW without first ensuring that the GPS would work. So, yes, the current state of the GPS on the VZW Pre 2 is most certainly a HP/Palm problem. It's much better than the Pre Plus, but still much worse than any Android device I've used or the iPhone.

It's kind of like people who enter abusive relationships and end up marrying the abusive person and then complaining after they get married that they're abusive. They knew going into the partnership, so while the one is certainly wrong for being abusive, the other partner isn't faultless.
    I've tried the map 3 times while on wifi and all three times it BLEW my mind at its accuracy. Smack dab on the house I was at. That's when I read that the "collect annonymous location data" actually correlates your GPS location to the name of a wifi network to pinpoint location. Fascinating but something seems inheritantly scary about that.

Regardless, the map app on the touchpad ROCKS. Performs like a BEAST.
    I have used GPS a couple of times, and it is wonderful. (Yes, you do need a Wifi.)

Obviously, it will not work while you are travelling, unless you have a constant Wifi. Sure, I have Freetether on my Pre-, but what would be the point of that since I have SprintNav on the Pre?
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Fascinating but something seems inheritantly scary about that.
    agreed on both the fascinating and scary part!

I was really hoping they'd add the ability to pull GPS data from a Bluetooth GPS unit - I bought one and used it with my Treo 650 (with TomTom on an SD Card) and still use with my laptop, it's very accurate all these years later.

maybe via a software update someday... (hey a girl can dream!)

Clarice
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post

Damn.
    I hate to say it, but you are not entirely correct here. Yes, Verizon seriously crippled the GPS in the Pre Plus/Pixi Plus, but the Sprint Pre is not without GPS issues either. There are times that I simply cannot get an accurate GPS fix without restarting my phone. It is a lot less common on 1.4.5 than it was on earlier versions of webOS, but it does happen, and usually at the most inconvenient time.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Very confused... isn't the lack of GPS in the Touchpad a huge omission?

It sounds like GPS is typically part of the 3g or 4g devices - so therefore typically not part of a wifi only device.

Am I missing something here - or is it not a big deal?
    Alright, I don't know if I missed something during setup, but my wifi gps isn't accurate at all: It points my position 300 kms from where I really live.

In the same time, my wifi is the only one in few hundred meters around.

You know what could be wrong here ?
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    non 3g model doesnt ha\/e gps....so it locates you based on ur wifi router
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Alright, I don't know if I missed something during setup, but my wifi gps isn't accurate at all: It points my position 300 kms from where I really live.

In the same time, my wifi is the only one in few hundred meters around.

You know what could be wrong here ?
    If I recall you can send your wifi location to Google somehow which will then help with your issue.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    google 'skyhook' ... Pretty cool reverse gps tech

more often than not tp has my correct location
    Would love a GPS Receiver option and I can see Bluetooth GPS Receivers with the right Linux Driver combo working on webOS and the TouchPad. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I hate to say it, but you are not entirely correct here. Yes, Verizon seriously crippled the GPS in the Pre Plus/Pixi Plus, but the Sprint Pre is not without GPS issues either. There are times that I simply cannot get an accurate GPS fix without restarting my phone. It is a lot less common on 1.4.5 than it was on earlier versions of webOS, but it does happen, and usually at the most inconvenient time.
    Just as an addition, I never had problems with my Sprint Pre GPS (either phone). Haven't used the Veer much, but I just fired up maps inside a building 1st floor of a 10 story building, wifi off, and it has me dead on accurate.

Ohh and I am hoping there will be a way to share phone GPS with the TP at some point, I know it isn't a feature built into TTS, but I will hold out hope for the future.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    agreed on both the fascinating and scary part!

I was really hoping they'd add the ability to pull GPS data from a Bluetooth GPS unit - I bought one and used it with my Treo 650 (with TomTom on an SD Card) and still use with my laptop, it's very accurate all these years later.

maybe via a software update someday... (hey a girl can dream!)

Clarice
    Its funny, I didn't even think about that until reading this. We have a gps unit from our centro days. Be nice if I could use it with the TP. Be a cool way to do navigation on that nice big screen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast