Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1.    #1  
    So this afternoon I came to a robbed home. I entered my house and they took everything electronic that has value. They took my TV, my PS3, my XBOX, and my super high end MacBook Pro. My tech life is gone for a few months until I am able to save up the money and recover my losses (I recommend you get homeowners or renters inurance right now by the way).

Well this unfortunate event now has me at a pretty interesting experiment. My hp touchpad wasn't stolen because I carry it with me 100% of everywhere I go. I never leave it alone. EVER. So my touchpad is currently my video game player, my computer, where I watch tv shows, hulu, entertainment, my music, my reader, my browser.... Everything. My hp touchpad has now replaced everything technological in my life.

The experiement? I am going to see how this works out. I am going to review two to three weeks with only a touchpad and nothing more. This should be interesting. I will update this thread, or maybe create a new one, in a few weeks explaining how it went for me.

oh yeah.
    Last edited by estebancam; 07/19/2011 at 11:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    First of all, that sucks.

I'll be curious to see how it works out! Maybe you can get some money by writing posts about your experience for Precentral or another site?
    That's horrific. Good luck on catching the thieves. My wife's car got broken into and they stole her GPS a couple of months ago. Ticked me off royally.

Who knew that you had all that nice electronic equipment?
    Good idea sorry for your other losses.
    wow! Sorry that had to happen to you.

Good luck and definitely can't wait to find out how your "experiment" goes
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    I am so sorry for your troubles. If I were you I would check out and watch your area's craigslist page. I am a criminal justice major and most stolen electronics end up on craigslist these days. If you remember or have paperwork that has an items serial # on it you can email the ads and ask them for the information. They may not give it but theres always a chance. Then all you do is arrange a meeting and call the cops. Also give the serial # to the police. If they end up arresting the person and find some of your stolen goods they can return them too you.

Best of luck on either re-aquiring your stolen goods or replacing them over time. I hope your touchpad is able to keep you entertained long enough until them.
    I dream of World Wide webOS.
    Sorry for your losses. I would be in shock in I lost most of my devices at one time.

Good luck with your experiment. We'll be looking for the updates.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    That's horrific. Good luck on catching the thieves. My wife's car got broken into and they stole her GPS a couple of months ago. Ticked me off royally.

Who knew that you had all that nice electronic equipment?
    No one. I have only been living there three weeks. And I have only had my best friend go over.
    (I recommend you get homeowners or renters inurance right now by the way).

Ya Think!!!!

Before you buy anything, but some insurance!

Why would anyone have expensive crap and not have insurance for it? Makes no sense. Sorry for you loss though, I hate crooks.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilover View Post
    I am so sorry for your troubles. If I were you I would check out and watch your area's craigslist page. I am a criminal justice major and most stolen electronics end up on craigslist these days. If you remember or have paperwork that has an items serial # on it you can email the ads and ask them for the information. They may not give it but theres always a chance. Then all you do is arrange a meeting and call the cops. Also give the serial # to the police. If they end up arresting the person and find some of your stolen goods they can return them too you.

Best of luck on either re-aquiring your stolen goods or replacing them over time. I hope your touchpad is able to keep you entertained long enough until them.
    I have already done all of that. I looked up the serial numbers immeditely and am consistently looking on craigslist.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    No one. I have only been living there three weeks. And I have only had my best friend go over.
    Darn. Often times it's people who've been to your home and know what you have. Did you have a moving company delivery your things to this new place?
    Also, I assume the door was kicked in...or at the very least the door lock was damaged to gain access?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    (I recommend you get homeowners or renters inurance right now by the way).

Ya Think!!!!

Before you buy anything, but some insurance!

Why would anyone have expensive crap and not have insurance for it? Makes no sense. Sorry for you loss though, I hate crooks.
    Yes. I have insurance for everything except property inside my home. The worst part is that I was about to sign (yes, SIGN) fo some renters insurance, but I decided to hold off.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Also, I assume the door was kicked in...or at the very least the door lock was damaged to gain access?
    Nope. It had to be a kid that got in. They broke in through a 1ft by 2ft hole that they created by kicking in the area next to my window air conditioning unit. I am a pretty small guy and I cant even fit in there. Honestly, nothing bigger than a 13 year old kid could have fit in there.
    Man if that happened to me, the only thing I'd have left would be my Pre 2. Maybe I should haul around my TP all the time too just in case.
    Sorry to hear about that.

Maybe you can blog about your new experiment. I hear the WordPress app on the TouchPad is great, so it should make it easy to blog about it, if you want.
    I am sorry, that happened to you, but make sure you dont rely on TP like a laptop. A tablet and laptop are very different beasts.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I am sorry, that happened to you, but make sure you dont rely on TP like a laptop. A tablet and laptop are very different beasts.
    At this point, I don't think he has much choice. Unless he gets his stolen laptop back, or gets the money to buy everything back right away.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    At this point, I don't think he has much choice. Unless he gets his stolen laptop back, or gets the money to buy everything back right away.
    exactly. Its not really a choice. I was forced to have my touchpad as a laptop replacement. Thats ok though. I think i can deal with it for just a bit.

my living room does feel very empty, however. I dont know how long i can live without my ps3 and call of duty. Not to mention my favorite tv series: lie to me on netflix.
    nevermind the machines, they can be replaced. i hope you have copies of all your digital pictures somewhere else!
    nyquistjack, Rnp and TheDewWorm like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast